`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day 1 of the National

RE: Day 1 of the National
I am reading this. I am gonna save what little funds I have for the rare stuff I PM'd you about. I think since I have the bigger cards from the 59 set I'll be okay to take my time on that set. If you see a few real nice ones for a steal send me a text.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I can always get Palmer for you at Orioles Fanfest in January.
(08-02-2012, 10:06 PM)fulltritty Wrote: I am definitely going again next year in Chicago as I am drunk with getting autographs and meeting the stars. Got autographs from Dexter Manley, Tom Motte, Roger Wehrli, Chris Hoiles, and Tippy Martinez today. Everyone of them has been nice and talk to the crowd. Chris Hoiles was even shaking everyone's hand after he signed. When he was just sitting down, he saw me with my camera and did a hilarious cheese face.

I bought a Whitey Ford autograph ball today and some A-Rod and Jeter cards from the 25 cent and 50 cent box. Man that is hard work pulling cards and making sure they are not part of your 1,113 you already own! I have my eye on Robinson Cano and Yogi Berra autograph jerseys.

Too bad Jim Palmer cancelled on me, but I am looking forward to Steve Carlton tomorrow as well as the other freebies.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

Happy Hunting

(08-02-2012, 08:12 AM)acevanquish Wrote: Do people line up before opening on the other days. ie, today? I'm going Saturday and they open at 10am. Should I get there before that to have a good spot in line or can I just walk in at 10a and wait in the Topps line?

So, if one were to run right to the Topps booth for redemption from the entrance which direction would that be? Also, does it seem possible I could get in line for Topps while someone else went to a booth to purchase a BP box then bring it to me or do they not let you in line unless you have one. Do they count and tell people after 100 to not even waste their time and get out of line?
[Image: badtime.jpg]

Im reading its in Chitown next year?!?!?!? do they always have it beginning of Aug. If its in Chicago.............................I'm there dudes!!!!!!!!!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
[Image: 3x75s.png]
a big shout out to jbel4331 for the AWESOME '75 cards!!
PC:TRIBUTE & HERITAGE & CHROME.GRADED '75 TOPPS & VINTAGE

(08-03-2012, 06:57 AM)jtraven42 Wrote: I can always get Palmer for you at Orioles Fanfest in January.
I never even knew they did this. I don't see Cal listed on their choices and it looks like many of the autograph groups are sold out already. So do I have this correct, it is $15 per group and do you get to choose from the groups that are left? I must be blind because I can't seem to find a link to actually ourchase tickets.
(08-03-2012, 12:34 PM)acevanquish Wrote: So, if one were to run right to the Topps booth for redemption from the entrance which direction would that be? Also, does it seem possible I could get in line for Topps while someone else went to a booth to purchase a BP box then bring it to me or do they not let you in line unless you have one. Do they count and tell people after 100 to not even waste their time and get out of line?
Yes. I was standing at one of the booths around the corner from Topps and a Topps representative came back into the long line and told a certain person that they would be the last one to get a redemption. In the afternoon, they were running out of the Gypysy Queen minis too.
(08-03-2012, 07:39 PM)75toppsfan Wrote: Im reading its in Chitown next year?!?!?!? do they always have it beginning of Aug. If its in Chicago.............................I'm there dudes!!!!!!!!!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
The dates posted already are from July 31st to August 4th, 2014 in Chicago.

I proved today why you never pull the trigger on buying something until you look at all the tables. I found a better Whitey Ford ball that had an inscription for the same price I paid yesterday for mine. Ugh! I also found some David Cone (WS inscriptions) and John Wetteland (1998 WS inscription) for only $49 a piece. Forgot to mention that some of the real ladies from the League of Their Own Womens Baseball League are at the show with a booth. You can even get a "No Crying in Baseball" shirt from them. I saw Don Larsens's jersey and pants from when he threw his WS perfect game and will go back to Steiner tomorrow to see him. Dwight Gooden will be there at Steiner too. I got autographs from Steve Carlton (he was nice enough to sign his HOF date even though we didn;t pay for it), Joe Washington of the Redskins, Al Bumbry, and Milt Papas. I also took pictures of Steve Largent, Jim Bunning, Bob Gibson, and Whitey Herzog. I'm hoping to be able to get a pic of Rivera tomorrow. Now that the general public is allowed in and better stars are there, security is tight. I saw a female ESPN reporter today as I was eating lunch. 4 more autos tomorrow and then the big day on Sunday to close out the show.

12:30am, starting my drive to Baltimore from Pittsburgh. Got a great deal on bowman platinum from chads-cards http://www.beckett.com/forums/user-45714.html so that's one less line I have to wait in. Anyone in western PA/eastern OH should pay his shop a visit and come to the show planned for October. More updates later...

Well we made it here at 630a, went to Dennys and wal mart to waste time. Parked and got in general admission line by 845. About 10 people in front of me. Should be good odds for redemption set as long as 90 vips don't eat them all up. gf is only about 1 of 3 girls I've seen.

Nope. Ran to the back. One of the first non vip. Ran out of platinum redemptions with 100 or so people still in front of me. :(

(08-04-2012, 09:40 AM)acevanquish Wrote: Nope. Ran to the back. One of the first non vip. Ran out of platinum redemptions with 100 or so people still in front of me. Sad
The way Topps handled the promotion, was not beneficial to anyone that wasn't a VIP. If they truly only gave out 100 the last 4 days, there are only 99 left for tomorrow. As the VIP packages were sold out and they seemed to be more VIPs here on the weekend, the chances are slim to none for regular folks. Keep in mind too that the dealers get in early and can get in line. I believe I saw a set or two for sale at dealers tables.

Here's how my day went:
Today I was at the foot of heavens door although I'm not sure if that occurred when I was 5 feet away from Don Larsen or Mariano Rivera; both of which I got pictures of. The perfect picture would have been when Reggie Jackson came over and shook Rivera's hand, but too many people where in the way for that. If today was heaven, I can only wonder what tomorrow will be seeing Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, and Goose Gossage among others; maybe I'll even get a picture of Mike Tyson. Larsen was appearing at the Steiner booth along with his jersey and pants from his perfect game. Steiner had an incredible deal that I had to run down for in between VIP signings where for a $15 baseball, I got to get a free auto and meet Dwight Gooden. I then took it to PSA to get certified and can pick it back up tomorrow. Other signings today were by George Starke (Redskins), the Count - John Montefusco, Paul Blair, and Mike Hargrove. Hargrove asked each person their name and where they were from. If he had been there, he would tell a story about when he was there. He also shook everyone's hand when he was done signing. Got a picture of Rickey Henderson and he had some major bling on his wrists and neck. He is still sporting that black flat top too. Cal Ripkin was down the end and you could see him as he stood up to take photos with everyone who purchased an auto. I also saw Jim Rice and Randy White but couldn't get pictures. I went through about 10,000 cards at this one table looking for Yankee refractors and serial cards at 20 cents a piece. I was helped by two teenagers who were looking for Thomas and McGwire cards, so it worked out for all of us. I bought about $7 worth and the one Pettiite and one Rivera card equaled the amount I spent. Again, it was an incredible day and I don't want it to end tomorrow. I'm already looking forward to next years' show in Chicago!