`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blaster box searchers

Blaster box searchers
Went to pick a scrpt at Walmart this morning and was early. I walked over to the card area and found 11 boxes of Bowman Platinum and every box was opened. These boxes and 7 boxes of football were all opened. I went to service desk and told the lady about the boxes. She came over with a supervisor(?) and looked at the boxes. He told her to pick up the boxes and get them returned. The supervisor seemed not to care. I asked if there was any tape available so they could call police and find the a$$hole. He said these things happen all the time. If I owned a business, I sure wouldn't want this sort of person in my employee. The a$$hole searcher, the supervisor are what is wrong with the world today, some people just don't care. I am so pissed off at passive supervisor behavior and the animal abusing thief, I decided to write to Walmart and let them know about the situation.
I'm done

RE: Blaster Box Seachers
sad thing is. walmart is the one company that wont care. Yes, many companies won't care but especially walmart. Everyone is just a number. You ever see some of those shows on CNBC or other channels about the company?

I work at another retail store and yes the employees may not care as much about customers because some customers can be off the wall...but managers take great strides in making customers happy. They will do whatever is possible to get a happy customer.
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

RE: Blaster Box Seachers
Man, you forgot the conspiracy theory! It was the manager, with a box cutter, at 4 am. Ok probably not, but it could be lol

Yeah I hate all types of searchers - box, pack, case, whatever. Some members here have openly admitted it (in fact are proud of it) and thus are on my "no way in hell will I ever conduct a transaction with you, let alone talk to you" list.

And I'm not even that mad that I may be missing out on some of these items but it's how it affects the kids (younger ones - the older ones may be the searchers) that bothers me the most. They may not get a lot of money and never get to go to a real card store so the card aisle at WalMart / Target is what they get to deal with and every pack searching money grubbing ***munch is depriving the kids of some joy.

RE: Blaster box searchers
my question is...

Yesterday I was on ebay and people had listings "THIS PACK IS A GUARANTEED HIT!"

how?!?!
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

thats why...and they always have about 10 ***holes bidding on them if you noticed! thats why i stay away from loose packs from retail..ill buy the occasional blaster (havent encountered any open blasters yet)...not to start ranting, but this type of mentality is why the country is in the shape we are in today! no accountability, no respect, no values..and on and on..ok, done venting for time being

(07-30-2012, 01:55 PM)goldglovessu21 Wrote: thats why...and they always have about 10 ***holes bidding on them if you noticed! thats why i stay away from loose packs from retail..ill buy the occasional blaster (havent encountered any open blasters yet)...not to start ranting, but this type of mentality is why the country is in the shape we are in today! no accountability, no respect, no values..and on and on..ok, done venting for time being
Couldn't agree with you more. You hit it right on the head. I would like to add, courtesy, common sense, a work ethic, and respect for our country and laws.

I'm pretty new to the hobby, having collected as a kid, but not so seriously. I was a little taken aback hearing about this "pack-searching." I fully admit that when I started collecting again, I'd grab a handful of loose packs with no worries at all on my trips to Wal Mart. Now it's only Blaster boxes and the occasional value hanger 3-packs (though I'm sure those are vulnerable too, but I like the exclusive parallels they come with).

As far as Wal Mart goes as a company, I don't even want to get started...I'm in too good of a mood today. But I can speak of the management at my local Wal Mart as my mother was a Dept Manager for years and we still have a couple friends up there still in management. Bottom line...the only way Wal Mart will act upon something is if it is affecting thier bottom line. Period. If pack searchers are not affecting thier sales, they'll never change a thing.

Again, being new I don't know, but is this a serious enough problem that the collecting community should start pressuring the card companies to do something about this? Different packaging or something. I don't know, but I am pretty sure the retailers will never do a thing.
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

I went into my local WalMart the other day and they had one of those mixed basketball blasters left — I actually like those because you get the occasional hit and they're good for filling sets.

On this box, though, the shrink wrap was much cloudier and bulkier than the normal clear, tight wrap.

Plus, when I shook the box, it sounded like there were just loose cards in there that weren't in packs.

I took it to the checkout counter and explained to the lady that it might be re-sealed after someone tampered with it, but if I could open it in front of her and just verify that the cards were still sealed in packs, I would buy it (packs could always be re-sealed, but I would take the first couple out and make sure.)

She called a manager over and I tried to explain what I wanted to do, but he was like "we don't re-seal boxes, we get them from the distributor."

I tried to explain that that wasn't what I was talking about, but rather someone probably bought it and returned it, and he just spat out the company line again, like he either didn't care what my explanation was or wasn't listening.

I decided not to risk it and left. The sad part is, somebody else probably bought it as is and got ripped off — that's probably what the manager was thinking about not letting me verify that it was legit.

"Somebody will buy it, what do I care if they get ripped off."

Whatever.

To make a long story short, I got a call today about purchasing a collection and when I met with the guy, he told me used to be a store manager at my local wal-mart. So, I asked him about this very topic...

He told me that a third party handles all of Wal-Mart's card inventories and sales. Everyone probably knew that, right. But Wal-Mart earns a percentage of the sale every time a package is rung up. So, every time you buy one, Wal-Mart gets a cut, even though they don't actually handle the card portion of their stores.

He told me that people could go and open the boxes and Wal-Mart would do nothing. As long as 1 of the packs in the box was bought, that's all that mattered because a cash register sale would be recorded and Wal-Mart would get part of the sale.

He said they don't care if pack searchers handle packs and do everything short of rip them apart. As long as they buy packs, they get money.

Again, this came from a Wal-Mart manager. I just found that kind of interesting and intriguing that Wal-Mart just blows stuff like this off like it's no big deal.

(07-30-2012, 08:17 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: Again, this came from a Wal-Mart manager. I just found that kind of interesting and intriguing that Wal-Mart just blows stuff like this off like it's no big deal.
You've got to remember that for a lot of these people, baseball cards are just a silly thing for kids. As long as people are buying them, that's all they care about.