`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay vs BV question

Ebay vs BV question
Well, long story short, things came up and I need to sell my collection. I'm going to keep my St. Louis cards, but everything else has to go.

For sanity's sake, I'm going to put them all in one big auction. The total BV will be about $1,700. I've been watching the bay for a week or two now, but haven't come across many large personal lots of cards.

Fortunately, I've got some vacation days saved up, but if I don't get some cash together and get my truck repaired soon, I'll be out of a job. So, I need to find a way that's both quick and will offer the best price.

Any suggestions?? Should I use eBay? Or is there another medium I should look into? From what you guys that keep an eye on the bay have seen, is there any idea on what I should expect to make?

RE: Ebay vs BV question
Depends on what you're selling. A bunch of modern probably won't sell well unless you have some key cards. Vintage lots sell a little bit better.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

(07-29-2012, 12:41 AM)beatles guy Wrote: Depends on what you're selling. A bunch of modern probably won't sell well unless you have some key cards. Vintage lots sell a little bit better.
Hm... a couple hundred from the 70's. Around 250 rookies. 7 serial numbers. 1 autographed. No really fancy cards, but there are a bunch that are worth $2-20 (which is why the BV is even that high).

What do you mean when you say "won't sell well?" What do you consider "well," I mean? I'd be happy getting 50% BV at this point.
Man, this sucks. lol

Most cards sell on eBay for 20-35% of BV. That's what he means by 'won't sell well'. The AU may sell decent, but it depends on a few factors:
#1 - who it is
#2 - if it's serial #'d
#3 - what the S# is limited to AND the year, set or brand it's from.

I hope this helps.

(07-29-2012, 12:52 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: Most cards sell on eBay for 20-35% of BV. That's what he means by 'won't sell well'. The AU may sell decent, but it depends on a few factors:
#1 - who it is
#2 - if it's serial #'d
#3 - what the S# is limited to AND the year, set or brand it's from.

I hope this helps.
Bummer. I suppose even around 30% would work, because of the pinch that I'm in. But I don't get why BV is what it is when nobody ever buys or sells cards (it seems) for more than 60%.

(07-29-2012, 12:37 AM)fanofcardinals Wrote: Well, long story short, things came up and I need to sell my collection. I'm going to keep my St. Louis cards, but everything else has to go.

For sanity's sake, I'm going to put them all in one big auction. The total BV will be about $1,700. I've been watching the bay for a week or two now, but haven't come across many large personal lots of cards.

Fortunately, I've got some vacation days saved up, but if I don't get some cash together and get my truck repaired soon, I'll be out of a job. So, I need to find a way that's both quick and will offer the best price.

Any suggestions?? Should I use eBay? Or is there another medium I should look into? From what you guys that keep an eye on the bay have seen, is there any idea on what I should expect to make?
On ebay, if you get 30% of the 1700.00 ($510.00) you'll pay $61.00 in FVF & paypal fees plus sig confirmation & i would suggest insurance.
If you do a BIN you can enable immediate pay option so you don't wait for your funds. As others mentioned it comes down to the player, which cards etc that determine the real sell value.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

Not knowing what cards are in the lot, I'd say getting 50% of BV would be tough to get. Speaking only for myself, there would have to be some desirable cards included for me to shell out that much. If its all low-end and common cards, I don't think it would even come close to half BV. Just my non-expert opinion.
Good luck with your sale, hoping for the best
[Image: Boston.jpg]

(07-29-2012, 01:12 AM)wolverine74 Wrote: Not knowing what cards are in the lot, I'd say getting 50% of BV would be tough to get. Speaking only for myself, there would have to be some desirable cards included for me to shell out that much. If its all low-end and common cards, I don't think it would even come close to half BV. Just my non-expert opinion.
Good luck with your sale, hoping for the best
I'll definitely include a list of the cards (or at least, a link to it. Not sure how much text you can put on an eBay auction). I think you can view my cards on here. I've got most of them put in.

1700...how many cards?

if the card value averages around 5-6 dollars each, you will get no more than 18%, most likely 10%

It stinks but being positive you should get at least 10% - 20%. I recently sold a Rare Insert Cal Ripken Lot, all cards were BV at $20 or more. The lot was $840 BV and I got exactely $84. I was dissapointed. I also sold a Jeter lot previous to that, $1,100 BV and I got $180 out of that lot. Those are star names to. I wish you the best of luck. I would sell the the Auto seperate, make a Serial lot, Refractor lot, etc.
[Image: Untitled_zpsec8eef53.jpg]

I be collecting BGS Jeter RC's & Tom Seaver (Mets Uniform) Autos/Patches

My PC Bucket.

http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/mjkata78/