`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BVG 9.5 Molitor Rookie

BVG 9.5 Molitor Rookie
I just won a BVG 9.5 Paul Molitor Rookie on EBay. Card was graded when BVG still used subgrades. Subs are 10, 10, 10, and 8.5. 8.5 is for surface. What do you think the odds are that a regrade under the new BVG grading system (without subgrades) would net a BVG 10 grade?

RE: BVG 9.5 Molitor Rookie
(11-15-2012, 07:13 AM)pschaeff Wrote: I just won a BVG 9.5 Paul Molitor Rookie on EBay. Card was graded when BVG still used subgrades. Subs are 10, 10, 10, and 8.5. 8.5 is for surface. What do you think the odds are that a regrade under the new BVG grading system (without subgrades) would net a BVG 10 grade?
My guess is slim to none. Plus, I'd rather have a BVG 9.5 with those Amazing subgrades. JMO.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(11-15-2012, 08:51 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: My guess is slim to none. Plus, I'd rather have a BVG 9.5 with those Amazing subgrades. JMO.
I'd much rather have a BVG 10 than a BVG 9.5 with great subs.

(11-15-2012, 06:09 PM)pschaeff Wrote: I'd much rather have a BVG 10 than a BVG 9.5 with great subs.
To each his/her own. I still say that you have 0 chances of getting a sub bump.
Additionally, it's not a new system. It's just a new procedure. The new Grading system happened when vintage cards went from being BGS Graded to BVG Graded.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

First, congrats on a great card. Not worth a regrade with two 8.5 subs. BVG still looks at the all the same elements under the new system as they did under the old, they're simply not listed anymore.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

(11-16-2012, 10:46 AM)coimbre 21 Wrote: First, congrats on a great card. Not worth a regrade with two 8.5 subs. BVG still looks at the all the same elements under the new system as they did under the old, they're simply not listed anymore.
It only has one 8.5 sub. Surface is 8.5. Corners, Centering, and Edges are all 10s.
I will probably wind up submitting to PSA. I think its highly likely to get a PSA 10 with those subgrades and PSA 10s simply sell for more than BVG 9.5s.

(11-16-2012, 11:21 PM)pschaeff Wrote: It only has one 8.5 sub. Surface is 8.5. Corners, Centering, and Edges are all 10s.
I will probably wind up submitting to PSA. I think its highly likely to get a PSA 10 with those subgrades and PSA 10s simply sell for more than BVG 9.5s.
Ah, my mistake. If you have a 10x magnifying glass or loupe, I would look over that surface to see if there's an obvious reason for the 8.5 which would be noticeable under magnification to PSA.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

A nine-five with one eight-five is something I would likely not mess with. The tens cannot go higher. One downgrade and things really change.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.