`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need some help/info

I need some help/info
I am thinking of getting my vintage late '50s & '60s baseball cards graded. Regardless of which company i go through...

How should I determine which ones would be the best to send away?

Should I grade them no matter the condition?

Is a "raw" card better sometimes than a "graded" one?

I have all the greats...some in decent shape, some beat up, some look really good....can anybody help me?

I would really appreciate any info. Thanks

RE: I need some help/info
I would suggest looking at some of the graded cards and their condition up for auction on the Internet. The graders look at a lot of things: corners, centering, surface, etc... If they are beat up commons, I would not get them graded. Even if some of the stars are beat up, say a Mantle, I would probably get it graded. Also, make sure the cards are not altered or trimmed, especially the stars. Hope this helps!

Andy
PC: Cardinal Parallels/Rainbows of Pujols, Chris Carpenter, Molina, Lankford, Gibson, Musial, and Cardinal Prospects

Very much so. Thank you

For postwar vintage 1948 and on, go with PSA if the cards are in high grade shape(8 or better). Even the commons. The PSA set registery nuts will pay out the nose for high grade vintage to say they have the best set. Ive seen $20 commons go $500+ because of low pop numbers in high grade. If less than 8 go with what ever companys slabs you like best. I disagree with grading all vintage. Even more so with the star cards. Seems a raw Mantle that will grade a 4 will sell better than a already graded 4 Mantle. People buying the raw cards will hope they would grade better than they are. Kinda dumb but its the gamble they take. Once graded you pretty much know what your going to get for it.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

(07-28-2012, 09:24 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: For postwar vintage 1948 and on, go with PSA if the cards are in high grade shape(8 or better). Even the commons. The PSA set registery nuts will pay out the nose for high grade vintage to say they have the best set. Ive seen $20 commons go $500+ because of low pop numbers in high grade. If less than 8 go with what ever companys slabs you like best. I disagree with grading all vintage. Even more so with the star cards. Seems a raw Mantle that will grade a 4 will sell better than a already graded 4 Mantle. People buying the raw cards will hope they would grade better than they are. Kinda dumb but its the gamble they take. Once graded you pretty much know what your going to get for it.
Great advice. I see what you are saying. Thank you

I only grade commons if I can get a 8 or better. Superstars I will grade to get a 5 or better. A "5 " Willie Mays will sell well because the collector that wants to be sure they're not getting screwed will pay for the graded cards. Cards I think will grade less than 5 don't get sent in. Do your homework, some companies graded cards sell better and never go to these smaller upstart grading services that you never have seen before.
Photobucket

(07-31-2012, 06:00 PM)sparty78 Wrote: I only grade commons if I can get a 8 or better. Superstars I will grade to get a 5 or better. A "5 " Willie Mays will sell well because the collector that wants to be sure they're not getting screwed will pay for the graded cards. Cards I think will grade less than 5 don't get sent in. Do your homework, some companies graded cards sell better and never go to these smaller upstart grading services that you never have seen before.
Thanks. I am only going to go with PSA or BGS. No question!!!

You guys bringing up the commons idea is a good call. Those are actually in the best shape, only because they weren't popular, so never got fiddled with. Smart...I will taske this advice, Thanks