`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Whose your baseball idol?

OT: Whose your baseball idol?
I thought it would be interesting to get some feedback from everyone here who it is they look up to on the field, or who they have always admired.

For me, it's definitely Stan "The Man" Musial. Although I never had the opportunity to see him play live, it is the person that is beneath the baseball player that I look up to. Of course, he had amazing stats as a player, but the generosity and love he shows for his fans is what makes me a true fan of him. Also, he is one of those guys who has never had any mentions of steroids or performance enhancing, he did everything on his own.

Just check out this video if you need to see a little more about him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9ks_062c8

So, who is your idol?
[Image: MusialCastrobanner.png][Image: 1958Castro.png]

RE: OT: Whose your baseball idol?
Derek Jeter. Professional ball player. Keeps his family first. I think most people know the basics of his stardom but I wouldn't say baseball's GOLDEN BOY but def. and poster boy of how you are supposed to play the game. Only "trouble" he gets into is girl trouble which girl he is dating and what not but I don't see that as a problem to have. LOL

My first was Carl Yastrzemski. In 1970 when I started collecting cards, all my friends were Red Sox fans up here in Maine and I got caught up in it too and he was the star of the team. I later idolized Roberto Clemente in the NL and Frank Robinson in the AL but Yaz was first. I finally met him in 1987 when he came to Maine to do some commercials for a local car dealership and I worked on the tv crew. He was nice enough to sign some cards for me.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

My initial thought is always jackie robinson, but i will always answer roberto clemente

I have always loved Soriano because of his well rounded game, especially in his younger years. But im not sure the word "idol" really suits him, so im going to have to go with Pedroia. Doesnt look like he could be an MLB player, but there arent too many people who work harder than him, have a stronger passion for the game than him, or enjoy playing as much as him.
[Image: bWSA7.png]
Collecting: Alfonso Soriano and Boston Red Sox

For me, the player I got to watch and idolize was Cal Ripken Jr. Loved the way he played and the way he conducts himself off the field. They don't make them like Cal anymore.

Unfortunately I do not collect him due to his prices, but I'm always looking for a good deal on his stuff.
[Image: IHCE8.png][Image: lgj21.png]

Collecting the players in my sig. If you have any please hit me up!

Questions about any card please PM me!

(07-16-2012, 11:58 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: My initial thought is always jackie robinson, but i will always answer roberto clemente
Beat me to it, word for word. What Jackie went through was incredible, but Clemente was one of the greatest men to play the game.
[Image: 3XHoG.png][Image: untitled.png]
Collecting:Andrew McCutchen, Duke Snider & Brooklyn Dodgers
I ship on weekends

I would say Ripken Jr and Griffey Jr.

Ripken Jr was just always there, every day, playing hard, always seemed to be nice and having fun while he played.

Junior was the same way, always smiling, too injury prone during the mid 2000s, but his swing is amazing, and watching him play center during his prime was something sweet.

Also never heard about Ripken or Griffey getting their names in the paper for off-field misbehaving.
Collecting: Fred McGriff, Chipper, Griffey, and Todd Helton.
[Image: 0989_001-1.jpg]

(07-16-2012, 12:44 PM)the hall Wrote: For me, the player I got to watch and idolize was Cal Ripken Jr. Loved the way he played and the way he conducts himself off the field. They don't make them like Cal anymore.
My thoughts exactly....
[Image: Untitled_zpsec8eef53.jpg]

I be collecting BGS Jeter RC's & Tom Seaver (Mets Uniform) Autos/Patches

My PC Bucket.

http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/mjkata78/

I have 2. I always tend to pull for underdogs.

1- Mike Piazza. Drafted in the 62nd round, and only drafted because he was Tommy Lasorda's godson. From there, he developed into one of the greatest hitting catchers of all time.

2- Josh Hamilton. I know, lots of people will say his problems were self inflicted. I agree. But I did a lot of stupid stuff when I was 19. If someone gave me a few million dollars at age 19, I would likely be in jail or dead. He lost 5 years of his life/career to drugs and alcohol. He pulled himself out and worked his way into baseball again. To beat an addiction like that at all is incredible. To beat it and work your way into being a dominant major league hitter is something altogether different. And just because you made bad decisions when you were a kid doesn't mean you can't be an inspiration. In fact, he is an inspiration to me BECAUSE he made bad decisions, and refused to let those bad decisions define him. (Or his career)

Both of these guys remind me that odds mean nothing. There is no substitute for hard work and desire. Anything is possible and these are my 2 favorite players because they are living proof.

(Arian Foster for football for similar reasons. Undrafted FA that got put on the practice squad before he blew up!)