`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What was your best (or worst) trade you have ever made?
Tongue 
What was your best (or worst) trade you have ever made?
What was your best/worst trade you ever made. If you are naming the worst trade you have ever made, please do not name the person whom you traded with. If possible add scans or photos.

RE: What was your best (or worst) trade you have ever made?
My most disappointing trade was on the Topps site. I traded a Diamond die cut of Hank Greenberg for a Bill "moose" Skowron card (1967) when I got the card from Topps it was in ragged shape, and that's being kind. All my other cards from that promo were pretty decent, so I didn't mind the trade, until I saw the actual results. Uggghh I would have been much happier with the Greenberg. 20/20 hindsight, right?
I guess if that's my worst, I'm doing pretty good.
MitchJ
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I think my best trade (in baseball at least) would be trading a Pablo Sandoval AU card a few years ago for a card I'd been wanting to add to my PC since I was a kid. I didn't know who Sandoval was when I pulled the card, but the BV was HIGH and I knew I could trade it for something good. I wasn't expecting someone to offer my 'white whale' (and some bouns cards) for it. Here is the scan of the main card I got:

[Image: 1979ToppsRC.jpg]

An Ozzie Smith 1979 Topps RC in really great condition.
It is off-center but otherwise in great condition. I had been trying to get one for over 20 years. I couldn't have been happier when I got the card in hand. It is a major highlight in my Ozzie PC. However, it did make my new 'white whale' become Ozzie's OPC RC. I still haven't obtained that one yet b/c I can't afford the quality ones that show up online and no one on Beckett appears to have one FT (OR have had one in the last several years).

Not a trade, but a card show pick up from back in the day. I have been kicking myself in the butt ever since.

In 1990 I turned down a Jordan RC for $20 and '89 Upper Deck JR RC for $6 but picked up a Canseco RC for $8... I thought Canseco was going to be way more popular than the other guys. Huh. I was a little wrong.

I still have the Canseco (prob. worth less than I paid for it in 1990), don't have the Jordan RC (and really don't plan on it as I am not the big of a fan of Basketball), and only picked up my Griffey RC a couple of years ago when I bought a bunch of packs (@0.50/each ha) and pulled it.

[Image: 607a5325-12db-4a56-8533-2c567e26ee40_zpszncmoult.jpg]

I pulled redemptions for Dice-K autos from 2007 Sweet Spot and 2007 UD Black (Pride of a Nation) back in early 2008 when both cards were super hot. I can't remember specifics, but I traded both cards for multiple HOF autos (Griffey, Ripken, Gwynn) when I got the redemptions...looking back four years later--even despite Dice-K's two decent years--I think I made the right decision!
Collecting: Fred McGriff, Chipper, Griffey, and Todd Helton.
[Image: 0989_001-1.jpg]

Best / Biggest trade started in 2004 when I was looking on ebay and saw a cut auto I wanted. Contacted the seller and was able to work a deal to get this card:

[Image: CutAutos003.jpg]

About a month later again looking at eBay I found this Babe Ruth cut from the same guy that I got the Wagner cut from, so I contacted him to see if he would trade again. Got this cut:

[Image: 2-3-11056.jpg]

Years rock along and again one day I see a cut of Satchel Paige that I would like to have so I contact the seller to see if he would deal. I send him scans of some cards and I get a message to call him asap. I call and he tells me he needs my 2004 Ruth Cut.

We go back and forth for a week or so and then worked what from me was my best trades:

I gave up 2004 Ruth cut and this card:

[Image: forsale-trade002.jpg]
[Image: forsale-trade001.jpg]

What did I get back in return?

First the Paige that started the deal

[Image: forsale-trade003.jpg]

This card was a throw in:
[Image: JimmyFoxx-1.jpg]

Then the two big cards in my opinion:

a 2/2 Football Cut

[Image: JimThorpe-JimBrown.jpg]

And a 1/1 Baseball Cut and the centerpiece of my collection

[Image: MurdersRowQuadCut001.jpg]
[Image: MurdersRowQuadCut.jpg]

What makes a great trade? When both parties are pleased with the deal and I was on this trade.

Good luck

I remember a few years ago when Shelley Duncan was popular for about a week or two, I had a bunch of his rookie cards and I unloaded them for a ton of GU and AUTOs, I mean people were trading me 5-1 to get these Duncan cards. Same thing with Joba the next year.

@ronfir - well played sir. That Quad is the centerpiece of this website!!

(07-10-2012, 02:32 PM)carolinahuey Wrote: I remember a few years ago when Shelley Duncan was popular for about a week or two, I had a bunch of his rookie cards and I unloaded them for a ton of GU and AUTOs, I mean people were trading me 5-1 to get these Duncan cards. Same thing with Joba the next year.

@ronfir - well played sir. That Quad is the centerpiece of this website!!

Carolinahuey:
Thanks for the comments. Actually I think the Murder's Row Quad was pulled by a board member who sold the card and it ended up with the guy I got the card from.

Maybe the only reason I got a good deal was the owner of the quad at the time was putting the complete 2004 SP Legendary Cut set together and he really needed my Ruth. At the time he said it was the best one he had seen from 2004 and maybe the last time he would ever see a 2004 cut of Ruth.

Traded it straight across for the Quad. The others came in a trade for my dual of Gehrig / DiMaggio. Since I had the Gehrig auto in the Murders Row, I thought picking up a Jim Thorpe auto was well worth the trade.

Good luck with your collection.

(07-10-2012, 04:12 PM)ronfir Wrote: Carolinahuey:
Thanks for the comments. Actually I think the Murder's Row Quad was pulled by a board member who sold the card and it ended up with the guy I got the card from.

Maybe the only reason I got a good deal was the owner of the quad at the time was putting the complete 2004 SP Legendary Cut set together and he really needed my Ruth. At the time he said it was the best one he had seen from 2004 and maybe the last time he would ever see a 2004 cut of Ruth.

Traded it straight across for the Quad. The others came in a trade for my dual of Gehrig / DiMaggio. Since I had the Gehrig auto in the Murders Row, I thought picking up a Jim Thorpe auto was well worth the trade.

Good luck with your collection.
Talk about high end trading lol! Awesome.

Yeah that Quad was pulled by John1580
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

I traded a trout bowman chrome auto rookies for a jeter auto back in 09... the jeter was great until I sold it, now the trout books $300.... I regret the trade now

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]