`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
1984 Star & 1986 Fleer Jordan RC's!!! The icons!!

1984 Star & 1986 Fleer Jordan RC's!!! The icons!!
Because a thread/discussion about either of these two cards NEVER gets old.... I want to start the newest one! This thread is to cover a couple different things, which are the following....

1. Which do you guys prefer and/or consider his best rookie card?

2. Who here has either of these? And if you do please post pics and tell us a little about the story behind them and how you can to acquire them?

3. In you guys opinion, which will appreciate in value the most as more time passes? Both are the holy grails of the basketball hobby regardless of what the new "hot" card is! In my opinion y'all new age fans can keep your LeBron Exquisites or D-Rose ect... If I had the choice to only ever have TWO cards for the rest of my life... Give me the '84 Star & '86 Fleer in top conditions and I'm good lol!

4. Which card looks nicer to you simply as a showpiece? Even if you might consider the '84 Star as his true RC... Do you think that Fleer is nicer looking? Or the other way around?

This is THE MJ RC thread!!! Let's have some good fun & discussion fellas...

P.S oh yeah and pics would be nice Wink

RE: 1984 Star & 1986 Fleer Jordan RC's!!! The icons!!
the one i own is in my sig. i think the better card is the star graded. its more valuable and more rare, although i think the fleer is the better looking card. the star will be more valuable in the future, especially since i dont believe bgs or psa will grade them anymore due to all of the fakes.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

I think I would still have to go for the 1986 RC although now as an adult I would prefer the XRC. The reason I still go with the RC is because as a kid this card was the Holy Grail. I did not know anything about the XRC until I got back into collecting so the RC was always the card I drooled over. It wasnt until a couple years ago that I finally got the RC. As a kid this was always the card that my friends and I talked about owning some day. It was almost in the same regards as some day playing in the NBA (which obviously didnt happen). It was something that seemed to be out of reach as a kid and would take a miracle to get.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

I think that the 1986 RC is so iconic it’s hard to say. I do believe that the whole 1980's star cards are very under rated and I would love to grab as many as I could. As far as the value...I would have to believe that the Star would hold more over time because of how many 1986 Fleers are out there already. I first picked up the Fleer a few months back and I just stared at it forever! Big Grin The 1984 Star I picked up about a month ago as a BGS 8. The centering on it was 7.5 and looking at other ones I could tell it was under graded. I sent it in and it came back as a BGS 8.5...Could not be happier. Now I just have to decide if I want them displayed or locked in my safe.

[Image: IMG_0516.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0521.jpg]
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

i say the fleer rookie 100% it was a pack pulled card and everybody knows the Fleer rookie. Even if you dont collect cards everybody knows the Jordan Fleer Rookie. I compare it like this the 84 star rookie is like the 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle and the 86 Fleer Jordan is like a 1952 topps Mickey Mantle. The Fleer also has a iconic Image of Jordan. I think it will be the card to own in Graded Mint and Gem Mint condition

Thanks for all the great responses so far everyone! Let's keep em coming...

@pingbling: I didn't know that BGS stopped grading Star cards? That makes me wonder now about the ones that have already been graded?? You think they stopped grading them because even they weren't sure how to be 100% sure on authenticity? That could be scary. Personally I am just SO suspicious of the '84 Star because I remember hearing about how in the 90's someone got a hold of the original printing plate for that card and reprinted tons of new ones that were obviously identical to the originals. The Fleer is just so much easier to authenticate & distinguish from a forged copy in my opinion. Looks better too IMO Smile ... More iconic!

@nickm1123: I hear ya completely about how the Fleer was THE holy grail as a kid and the thought of ever owning one seemed like only a dream! I remember how I dreamed of even seeing one in person! I swear it seemed like in the 90's before the launch of eBay that THAT card was SO elusive! None of the local hobby stores ever had one (believe it or not kids there were dozens in the 90's between a few local cities lol) .... The first time I FINALLY seen one in person was in 1999!!! I just stared at it for like 10 mins and just kept asking the dealer every question I could think of just so I could buy more time to stare lol. I was only 14 in 1999 so I still didn't have the 1,000+ to purchase one. Looking back now I'm pretty sure that raw copy was probably badly off centered ect... But it didn't matter!!! It was the freakin Jordan RC!!! A card I'd only ever seen in magazines & top 10 lists!!! It wasn't until 2003 when I finally bought one! It was from a respected dealer I'd been going to since a little kid. It was raw. Probably would've graded a solid 8. And he sold it to me for 500. I was in heaven. Took it home & even as an 18 year old adult it still mesmerized me! Stared at it for hours a week. It was my most prized possession! I agree with you completely... I say the Fleer 100% as his best rookie!

@arabiansnowgriz: That's amazing that you have both cards in beautiful 8.5 grades! That must've made your whole year when you got them to bump up the centering on the Star! I'd say display those bad boys side by side. Just get a nice glass showcase with lock n key! The Star is so rare and the authenticity factor is its biggest concern i'd have to believe. I REALLY hope Beckett knew exactly what they were looking for! Beautiful cards!

@goldcoin2012: I agree that the 1986 Fleer is basically the basketball hobbies '52 Mantle, where as the '84 Star is more like the '51 Bowman. Yes the Star may be older, but the Fleer IMO deserves the true RC designation. 1986 Fleer had actual packs where pulling a Jordan was a gamble. The Star cards came in team bags, so if someone wanted to get a guaranteed Jordan all they would've had to do was track down the Bulls set, where Jordan was shown in the very front!!! Lol... Still iconic, just not the same to me. It's more oddball in my view. But I still would want it and see it as 1b to the 1a Fleer RC! Truly an XRC!

I love the Fleer, when I was young my friend had two of them and just holding them in there screw down holders was a big deal to me lol I still dont own one but hope to one day.
[Image: 3090vis.png]

im going with the xrc one its $2500.00 graded would me more money might be 2X more then the card it self
did you get the xrc 1st or it graded

I'll post mine as it never gets old to meSmile

[Image: MichaelJordanrookie.jpg]

Will be picking up the XRC when I get my income tax next year.

Thanks Bengu! BGS is still grading Star cards to date. This site has a lot of information on the Star cards and how the MJ XRC was not effected by the printing plates...

http://www.jordancards.com/blog/10-08-12...e-taft.php
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.