`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about sketch cards

Question about sketch cards
That awesome RA Dickey collection (see Stang66dad's My PC Collection: R. A. Dickey) prompted a question about sketch cards. What's up with them? Are they commissioned pieces, or inserts, or original art from a production card, or what?
The only original artwork I've ever seen was from that great artist (can't remember his name) that did the Donruss Diamond Kings cards, but those originals were much bigger than the card size.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Question about sketch cards
The sketch cards are usually hand drawn, original artwork. The artist you were thinking of with the Diamond Kings line was Dick Perez.
[Image: banner.png]

*Mattingly PC Featured in BSCM Dec. 2011

Split Household

Yankees-Mattingly
NY Giants- Manning, Beckham, Cruz, Pierre-Paul

Rays- Kiermaier, Longoria, Souza
Cowboys - Aikman

There's a few famous guys who've done them (eg. Perez) for Donruss, A&G and others. Then there's a bunch of amateurs who draw up a card and sell them on the bay and other sites. I guess buy whatever you like. If you're looking for something relatively valuable, I'd aim for sketch cards done by established sports artists.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Yeah the ones I got are done my amateurs im guessing.
Collecting R.A. Dickey http://dickeyscollection.webs.com
[Image: radickey3smallversion.jpg]
Special thanks to pyr0punk for the banner

(07-04-2012, 11:07 AM)stang66dad Wrote: Yeah the ones I got are done my amateurs im guessing.
That's cool too. Try googling them and see if they have a website or are mentioned on the web. Some guys actually have good artistic reputations and are seen as up-and-coming. You might be surprised. The bottom line is, collect what you like.

There was an article in the new york times or wall street journal a couple weeks ago about a french female artist who became fascinated with baseball and decided to do a set of hand painted cards with themes like "marvelous mustaches" etc. I meant to post a link at the time. Maybe someone else did. In any event, her art wasn't my cup of tea, but I liked the concept and thought they were kind of cool.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I know that some of the sketch cards were inserted into packs and have the Topps logo. On the back they're serial #'ed 1/1. In fact there's a derek jeter for sale right now. The guy is wacko with his BIN price, though. It's been up for sale for a long time now.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(07-04-2012, 09:21 AM)bonemarro Wrote: The sketch cards are usually hand drawn, original artwork. The artist you were thinking of with the Diamond Kings line was Dick Perez.
Thank you, my Yankee-brother! PEREZ .... Of course!!!
Dick Perez is amazing and did those cards for years. I wonder what his original art goes for nowadays?
(07-04-2012, 11:01 AM)uvaspina Wrote: Then there's a bunch of amateurs who draw up a card and sell them on the bay and other sites. I guess buy whatever you like. If you're looking for something relatively valuable, I'd aim for sketch cards done by established sports artists.
I've got my hands full just getting regular cards!! LOL ... But, If I get one in a pack I wouldn't throw it away either.
(07-04-2012, 11:07 AM)stang66dad Wrote: Yeah the ones I got are done my amateurs im guessing.
They were very professional looking, though.
BTW: Great RA Dickey collection!!!
(07-04-2012, 11:42 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I know that some of the sketch cards were inserted into packs and have the Topps logo. On the back they're serial #'ed 1/1.
I was wondering about those. THanks for the info, I'll keep my eyes open for them.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I pulled one out of a Topps pack a few years ago, and never quite figured out what to do with it. It was clearly marked 1/1, but I don't remember it mentioning the artist at all.

I know for a few years, they were inserting blank front "sketch" cards in to packs, which I think you were supposed to sketch on, and send in (for a prize?). I really have no idea if that's what I ended up pulling or not.