Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie question:

Newbie question:
Hi All,

My 9-year-old son and I have just begun trying to understand/catalog/value a small (4,000) baseball card collection that my DH just passed down to him.

We have already entered 3,000 cards, but I have a question that is nagging me...

I know for a fact that we purchased a Topps 2011 complete set (box) from Target, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the cards that indicate that they are Target cards...

When entering them into Organize, which item do I enter into our inventory? How does someone know by looking at the cards whether they are just 2011 Topps cards or 2011 Topps Target cards?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Cyndi (and Evan)

RE: Newbie question:
Cyndi,

The topps target cards are cards that are only available in special packs purchased at target. Since you purchased a complete factory sealed set, you won't have any of the special target cards in the set. They do from time to time add special inserts that are only available in the factory sets that you purchase from target. When I checked the other day, there were some special mickey mantle relic cards that were an added bonus when you purchased a factory set. Did you receive one of those? They usually are on the top of the set and you can see which card you will receive.

That's what I thought but wasn't 100% sure. I'm glad you could answer this for them.

Topps Target cards only came as a bonus pack in blaster boxes, and they are very different from normal cards. They have the old-fashioned Topps logo and they are thicker with a darker back, much like current Topps Heritage cards.
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

(06-27-2012, 07:03 PM)david campos Wrote: Cyndi,

The topps target cards are cards that are only available in special packs purchased at target. Since you purchased a complete factory sealed set, you won't have any of the special target cards in the set. They do from time to time add special inserts that are only available in the factory sets that you purchase from target. When I checked the other day, there were some special mickey mantle relic cards that were an added bonus when you purchased a factory set. Did you receive one of those? They usually are on the top of the set and you can see which card you will receive.
Thanks David!

So, here's my next question...

I see a set of 660 Target cards listed here : http://www.beckett.com/search#set_id=800...lt_type=59

Tis set matches our set exactly, but each parallel card is valued a slight bit higher than the same cards in the non-Target set of 711 cards listed here: http://www.beckett.com/search#set_id=799...lt_type=59

Can you tell me what the difference between the two sets is? It's not listed in the set description section for either set. And I don't see any distinguishing marks on the cards at all.

In fact, when I enter the cp code at topps.com from the cards...I get a different set referenced. (2011 Topps BB Series 2 Diamond Anniversary code#36211201) *sigh*

Thanks again!
Cyndi

p.s. please bear with me as I learn the ropes.
...I sure wish there was a place to get lessons on baseball card collecting. Wink

This would be the best place to get such lessons.

welcome to the boards! you can learn alot just by reading the different threads and remember..........there are no stupid questions!! so feel free to ask away, there will
always be someone to help!!Big Grin
[Image: 3x75s.png]
a big shout out to jbel4331 for the AWESOME '75 cards!!
PC:TRIBUTE & HERITAGE & CHROME.GRADED '75 TOPPS & VINTAGE

This year the Target cards come randomly inserted in packs bought from Target and in a bonus pack in Target blaster boxes. The cards have a red border instead of the basic white border. WalMart has blue bordered cards. Toys R Us has special purple bordered cards. I think it was the same last year. A couple of years ago, WalMart had black bordered cards and as another poster said, the logo on the Target cards was "old school" and the card stock was a bit thicker.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

The difference b/t the two listings you show is that the main set has lots of SP (short-printed) cards listed. The Target cards did not have any SP's. I checked that out earlier when trying to give you an answer to the original question, but I wasn't entirely sure that the wasn't a designation on the Target cards. The set that you have is definitely the regular Complete Set release.

Also,
Zeprock - in 2011 there was also a red border Target version, but it was a parallel to the regular Target set.

(06-27-2012, 09:18 PM)75toppsfan Wrote: welcome to the boards! you can learn alot just by reading the different threads and remember..........there are no stupid questions!! so feel free to ask away, there will
always be someone to help!!Big Grin
Thanks for the assurance! There are times I do feel like my question is too 'basic' and should be known.

Watch for more posts from me as I engage in my 'OJT.' Smile
(06-27-2012, 09:56 PM)zeprock Wrote: This year the Target cards come randomly inserted in packs bought from Target and in a bonus pack in Target blaster boxes. The cards have a red border instead of the basic white border. WalMart has blue bordered cards. Toys R Us has special purple bordered cards. I think it was the same last year. A couple of years ago, WalMart had black bordered cards and as another poster said, the logo on the Target cards was "old school" and the card stock was a bit thicker.
That helps. I 'think' I've got it now. It looks like we don't have ANY Target cards anywhere. But we will keep our eyes peeled. Thanks again!
(06-27-2012, 11:07 PM)spazmatastic Wrote: The difference b/t the two listings you show is that the main set has lots of SP (short-printed) cards listed. The Target cards did not have any SP's. I checked that out earlier when trying to give you an answer to the original question, but I wasn't entirely sure that the wasn't a designation on the Target cards. The set that you have is definitely the regular Complete Set release.

Also,
Zeprock - in 2011 there was also a red border Target version, but it was a parallel to the regular Target set.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

*whew!* That's a lot of stuff to learn. Smile Soon, though. Soon!