`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else ever want to call them out on GU cards?

RE: Does anyone else ever want to call them out on GU cards?

Guys, I'm not trying to go against the grain here, but unless I'm mistaken, it only says "not from any specific game, event or season," right?

But since it says nothing either way about the player, isn't it safe to assume that the jersey/bat/relic/whatever is still from that player, right?

I mean, I agree with everybody as far as it would be cool to have a photo of the actual item (used to have a Barry Sanders jersey auto with the pic on the back), but isn't it still fun to pull a hit?

I just got back from Target, bought a blaster of Bowman football, and it was a crap-tastic box (truly lame, best card was a gold Matt Kalil) until the last pack, when I got a Cam Newton jersey card — with the aforementioned "not from any specific game, event or season" line on the back.

It was a plain white swatch, even.

But still, it was by far the best card in the box and a really cool looking card.

I totally understand and agree with what the Martin Prado SC is saying, but it's just base Topps — the other poster was right about saving the "good stuff" for the higher end products.

Don't you guys still get a rush when you see a thicker card in the middle of a pack?

Actually I got bigger thrills from pulling rookie cards out of 89 Donruss and Fleer back in the day. Several KG Jr and others. It was a lot of fun sorting through 100s of cards I could buy for $3.00. Trying to collect sets. Now you are lucky if you get 10 cards in a pack. And the Big hit boxes of Triple Threads and others like it you get 12 cards per Box! Thats it...12 or less.

So why care if you get a picture of a player and a piece of cloth of a minor league player in A-ball.

After all it says not from any specific game EVENT or season. So...no....the thrill is getting closer to the game...feeling the fabric the pros use. Owning a piece of wood that Babe Ruth probably hit a homerun off of. Knowing that the jersey was there in the game making history.

For me that is the thrill....the history and legacy of the player and the only way to get that is to have an actual game used item of the player on the card....even better yet is having a date that the item was used.

These game used cards were suppose to get us closer to the game......here lately I am not feeling closer.

X

(06-28-2012, 09:37 PM)jasonmj Wrote: Actually I got bigger thrills from pulling rookie cards out of 89 Donruss and Fleer back in the day. Several KG Jr and others. It was a lot of fun sorting through 100s of cards I could buy for $3.00. Trying to collect sets. Now you are lucky if you get 10 cards in a pack. And the Big hit boxes of Triple Threads and others like it you get 12 cards per Box! Thats it...12 or less.

So why care if you get a picture of a player and a piece of cloth of a minor league player in A-ball.

After all it says not from any specific game EVENT or season. So...no....the thrill is getting closer to the game...feeling the fabric the pros use. Owning a piece of wood that Babe Ruth probably hit a homerun off of. Knowing that the jersey was there in the game making history.

For me that is the thrill....the history and legacy of the player and the only way to get that is to have an actual game used item of the player on the card....even better yet is having a date that the item was used.

These game used cards were suppose to get us closer to the game......here lately I am not feeling closer.
Fair enough ... and you're 100 percent correct about cards back in the day.

My parents used to go to the Price Club (now Costco) out here about once a month or so, and they'd get me a huge box of Topps or Donruss — 36 packs, 15 cards a pack, $9.99 a box, LOL.

I would spend all night sorting them into teams out in the living room, pulling two or three Griffeys a box ... ah, the good old days.

It is a huge conspiracy. There are very few at Topps that put together the GU cards. They are sworn to secrecy and they do not retire..they DISAPPEAR..vanish with the secret with them..like the Mafia almost..hard to "retire" from Topps GU department..Although I have heard of 2 in witness protection...
One ran away from Upper Deck and they had to stop making baseballl cards because of it

(06-29-2012, 07:45 AM)bonds20001 Wrote: It is a huge conspiracy. There are very few at Topps that put together the GU cards. They are sworn to secrecy and they do not retire..they DISAPPEAR..vanish with the secret with them..like the Mafia almost..hard to "retire" from Topps GU department..Although I have heard of 2 in witness protection...
One ran away from Upper Deck and they had to stop making baseballl cards because of it
Topps sends the retired game used employees to the same spot they sent the 1952 Mantles

Would we be willing to pay more for products put out by companies tracking all this information? I would. In 2001, Leaf Certified put out a "Fabric of the Game" series with a picture on the back of the card showing the actual jersey the swatch came from...supposedly. Does it prove anything? No. But it think it's pretty cool.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.