`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From a different sport, but want your thoughts.

From a different sport, but want your thoughts.
Most of us have heard about all of the lawsuits that Upper Deck has received. We know of how few licenses they have to make product. And with all of this, many collectors want them back because of their design quality. Anyways, I was reading the news page on here and saw this article and it made me really stop and think.

If you don't want to read it, here's the skinny on it. In April, Upper Deck announced that they were going to release their SP Signature Baseball in a week. This announcement came without knowing that they were even making that product seeing as how they don't have any licenses with the MLB or their PA (Players Association). They stated that because of no licenses, there wouldn't be any photos or logos. The box ($255 MSRP) would have three 3 card packs, all cards being sticker AU. Two of the cards in each pack would be single AU, the other multiple up to 8 on one card. There was an update to this this morning that they now have a license with the MLBPA so there will be photos.

Here's the questions going on in my mind:

While there are some products (Razor, who Upper Deck had acquired) that sold ok with no Photos, Upper Deck has really gotten to that point?

They announce at the end of April they're going to release the product in a week. So you'd assume they're in production already. Someone in the comments stated an announced delay of two weeks. But almost two months later, they now get a license to add photos? What kind of procedures do they follow?

Is this further dumping of inventory to keep the lights on, or is their having an MLBPA license now a sign of a light at the end of the tunnel (for Upper Deck that is)?

When they made the announcement, did they really think that someone would want a piece of cardboard with no pictures on it and a sticker AU, 9 of these in one box, for $255 a box? I couldn't see anyone buying a box of that for PC let alone to get any ROI. lol.

No, I'm not trying to stir up drama. I showed the questions that I had in my head because 1) I'm bored, 2) someone might have answers, and 3) I would like your opinions. All of the above seems quite shady to me after everything Upper Deck has already done. I won't lie, they've had some of the best looking cards for many years, but those shady dealings don't really make me want them to come back to basketball until all of that is cleared up. (And I'm not saying Panini and/or Topps or other manufacturers don't have shady dealings, but the cloud over Upper Deck seems to get darker, and darker, and darker, and darker, ...)

So let me know what you think. Light at the end of the tunnel for Upper Deck? Or further showing of a floundering company about to fall? Hope everyone's having a good day.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

RE: From a different sport, but want your thoughts.
I have no idea what to think ... but the beauty of cards is that no one is forcing us to buy anything, so you can sit back, wait for the product to come out, check the box breaks section (LOL) and see what other people are pulling ... and then go from there.

I will say this about Upper Deck, and I am not defending them ... I have purchased a total of 3 '09 Signature Stars hobby boxes from my local WalMart in the last few months, and pulled a Griffey auto/100 and a Miguel Cabrera auto/35, not to mention a Harper USA jersey and two Harper USA Star Rookie cards.

My point is this ... those boxes came out during another supposed "sig dump" when they were about to lose their license, and even though those cards don't (or weren't supposed to, LOL) have logos, to me they're still pretty nice:

[Image: KenGriffey.jpg]

[Image: MiguelAuto.jpg]

I've never had a lot of success just buying a box here or a box there, so I have a feeling they were loading up that product.

Could be the same case here, where collectors can pile up 9 autos for basically the price of two decent hobby boxes ... could be a real deal.

Also, it could suck out loud, but nobody has to buy any if it does.

I see it as a "can't lose" either way, as long as they actually do have photos. If they don't, I have no interest whatsoever.

You know what you should do with that Cabrera right? Smile

(06-21-2012, 04:27 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: You know what you should do with that Cabrera right? Smile
Normally, yes, LOL, but my family is originally from Jackson, so I'm going to keep it. I was pretty speechless when I pulled it, because it was an extra hit, and he had relatively few Tigers autos at the time it was produced.

Pulling that is actually why I went back and got another box, and then I pulled the Griffey, who was basically my favorite player when I was a kid.

See, Jason, the new UD stuff that's coming out will probably have an 8X Tigers auto card of Fielder, Cabrera, Verlander, Jackson, Boesch, Smyly, Martinez and like Al Kaline for a little HOF flavor.

And you will be the one to pull it!

lol. Like you said, with no pictures, I'm not interested. Even if they are legit autographs, I'd rather have all 8 of those on a ball rather than a piece of cardboard with no pictures.

I tried looking for the one you have in the database, and I'm only seeing the /10 version. Wonder if that was a limited print run than actually stated, though yours is right at the end of the run.

And though I'm not from there anymore nor do I desire to move back, it's good to see another Michigander on here. Smile

(06-21-2012, 05:27 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: lol. Like you said, with no pictures, I'm not interested. Even if they are legit autographs, I'd rather have all 8 of those on a ball rather than a piece of cardboard with no pictures.

I tried looking for the one you have in the database, and I'm only seeing the /10 version. Wonder if that was a limited print run than actually stated, though yours is right at the end of the run.

And though I'm not from there anymore nor do I desire to move back, it's good to see another Michigander on here. Smile
I don't miss the humidity right about now ... ice cubes melting before your drink gets cold, sweating profusely right after a shower, LOL ... though I do miss fire flies ... fond memories of catching them with my cousin when I was a kid.