`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
6th biggest card i have ever picked up for a customer

RE: 6th biggest card i have ever picked up for a customer
the 1951 sets which came in Red and Blue backs were actually a game and not considered collectible trading cards.

Quote:In 1951, Topps produced its first baseball cards in two different sets known today as Red Backs and Blue Backs. Each set contained 52 cards, like a deck of playing cards, and in fact the cards could be used to play a game that would simulate the events of a baseball game. Also like playing cards, the cards had rounded corners and were blank on one side, which was colored either red or blue (hence the names given to these sets). The other side featured the portrait of a player within a baseball diamond in the center, and in opposite corners a picture of a baseball together with the event for that card, such as "fly out" or "single".

Topps changed its approach in 1952, this time creating a much larger (407 total) set of baseball cards and packaging them with its signature product, bubblegum. The company also decided that its playing card model was too small (2 inches by 2-5/8 inches) and changed the dimensions to 2-3/4 inches by 3-5/8 inches with square corners. The cards now had a color portrait on one side, with statistical and biographical information on the other. This set became a landmark in the baseball card industry, and today the company considers this its first true baseball card set. Many of the oil paintings for the sets were rendered by artist Gerry Dvorak, who also worked as an animator for Famous Studios. In 1957, Topps shrank the dimensions of its cards slightly, to 2-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches, setting a standard that remains the basic format for most sports cards produced in the United States.It was at this time Topps began to use color photographs in their set.

The only reason they made them a game is because they couldn't sign the players away from Bowman at that time. But after the failure of the '51 set, including the awful taffy design, Topps decided to scrap everything and risk legal challenges by signing players whom Bowman already had under contract.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

I still would prefer a 51 Bowman Mantle RC over the 52 Topps which everyone calls a rookie
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

(06-17-2012, 10:10 PM)the cardboard fan Wrote: I still would prefer a 51 Bowman Mantle RC over the 52 Topps which everyone calls a rookie
blah

1952, also the first year stats were introduced on the card correct?
Will ship first to proven Traders as I build my trade rep.
[Image: IMG_0002-2-1.jpg]
Will trade in your favor for this rainbow. Need: Purple/555,Red/25,ref,x-frac,superfractor, and plates

Who is Mickey Mantle? Is he as good as Bryce Harper?

(I'm kidding.)

(06-19-2012, 10:59 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Who is Mickey Mantle? Is he as good as Bryce Harper?
that's a clown question, bro

(06-16-2012, 02:10 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: Had a customer that let me "go shopping" for them for my dutch.
I'm confused by this statement...what exactly do you mean?

(06-20-2012, 05:38 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: that's a clown question, bro
too funny!

(06-20-2012, 03:03 PM)kinarism Wrote: I'm confused by this statement...what exactly do you mean?
not sure exactly what you are confused by. by the term dutch? the shopping part?