`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Earned runs.

RE: OT: Earned runs.
(06-16-2012, 11:23 AM)chasescardcave Wrote: true, but I think that it's the relief pitchers job to not allow any runs. And if he does, it should count against him. imo
But the reliever is not the one who put the runners on base to begin with the starter did therefore starter is charged the ERs. To me it's a no brainer, ya put them on base you are charged!
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

yea no brainer..only agrument for the SP pitcher is the runners must be in scoring postine for the SP to be charged with the earned run..that only elminates first base i believe..if that makes any sense

(06-16-2012, 08:35 PM)jeterfan5128 Wrote: yea no brainer..only agrument for the SP pitcher is the runners must be in scoring postine for the SP to be charged with the earned run..that only elminates first base i believe..if that makes any sense
ISP refers to second & third base eliminating first base like you said. Leading me to believe ESPN made a mistake & Sale would have 2 ERs & Crain would have 3 totally the 5 together.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

What I find unfair is when a starting pitcher pitches a gem and allows the tying run to reach first with two out in the top of the 9th and the closer comes in and promptly gives up a two-run home run and then in the bottom of the inning the club comes back with a couple of runs to win it in a walk-off. The pitcher who went 9 and two thirds gets nothing and the guy who gives up a two run shot gets the win. That happens. That sucks for the starting pitcher.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I think that it should affect the pitcher's ERA no matter if the run scores or not (maybe .25 for first, .5 for second, and .75 for third, or something like that). Kinda unfair if he allows a 2-out single and then the reliever allows a homer.
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

(06-16-2012, 01:17 PM)chasescardcave Wrote: I undertand it. It's just that it's not very fair to the sp if there's a guy on first base and the rp is terrible and allows a home run and it goes to the sp. They should split the runs or something.
In the example you're giving the SP would only be charged with the one run (runner at first) and the RP would be charged with the second run (the guy who hit the HR).

So in that sense it's fair to both pitchers because whichever guy scored was their responsibility. If the SP didn't want the earned run then he shouldn't have allowed the guy to get to first.
[Image: bannerthj011.jpg]
Thanks to talkntribe for my banner!

http://s1141.photobucket.com/home/Trey_Jones001/index

(06-18-2012, 12:53 AM)bustin 5 knots Wrote: I think that it should affect the pitcher's ERA no matter if the run scores or not (maybe .25 for first, .5 for second, and .75 for third, or something like that). Kinda unfair if he allows a 2-out single and then the reliever allows a homer.
that's why there are stats for inherited runners

There are more stats to consider than just ERA when judging the performance of a starter. Over the season, if the pitcher is good, those runners that score after he leaves the game will be negated by the runners that don't score when he exits and he will have more opportunities to go deeper into the game and lower his ERA. Relief pitchers stats will reflect a blown save or hold as well as their WHIP being high. And there is a stat for % of inherited runners that are LOB. And really, I think most pitchers care about their teams winning than their ERA.