`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Finally, the true meaning of conditional versus graded
06-13-2012, 05:57 AM
Finally, the true meaning of conditional versus graded
We have all looked up a card, only to find it only has conditional pricing. What is more interesting, is when a card has conditional and graded prices. And to take it one step further, sometimes the conditional pricing is higher than the graded pricing, and vice versa.
I know the technical terms of conditional pricing, and graded pricing.
Lets look at a perfect example at the moment. The Adam Jones 2003 Upper Deck Prospect Auto #P7.

Conditional Pricing:
150 mint 9
120 nm-mint+ 8.5
120 nm-mt 8

Graded
80 GemMint 9.5
60 Mint 9
50 nm-mt+ 8.5

So a 70 dollar difference between between a graded Gem Mint, and Conditional Mint (150-70). Further, 2 weeks ago the conditional Mint was 120.

Lets look at the Ken Griffey Jr 1989 Bowman Tiffany

Conditional Pricing:
120 Mint 9
80 nm-Mint+ 8.5

Graded

175 mint 9
100 mint 8.5

I am a math geek by trade. Even have a worthless MS in math from harvard. But no matter the definitions I read, I cannot but together how they come up with these numbers??? And what they mean and how they should ever be used.

Can someone please shed light. I have seen the question asked before, but not a single reponse answered the true questions -
1. How are conditonal determined
2. What does it mean for the card when one is above the other and vice versa
3. What does it mean for the future outlook, or does it??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2012, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2012 06:26 AM by nolan5000.)
RE: Finally, the true meaning of conditional versus graded
(06-13-2012 05:57 AM)cmumiami Wrote:  We have all looked up a card, only to find it only has conditional pricing. What is more interesting, is when a card has conditional and graded prices. And to take it one step further, sometimes the conditional pricing is higher than the graded pricing, and vice versa.
I know the technical terms of conditional pricing, and graded pricing.

Can someone please shed light. I have seen the question asked before, but not a single reponse answered the true questions -
1. How are conditonal determined
2. What does it mean for the card when one is above the other and vice versa
3. What does it mean for the future outlook, or does it??

Just a friendly note. It's against the TOS to put prices.

[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!
06-27-2012, 06:41 AM
RE: Finally, the true meaning of conditional versus graded
Just read your question and don't know if you are still around to see this but what I understand is this: Try not to think of what you see in Beckett as the value of a card but rather a reflection of what the card is selling for in the market, whether that is shows, shops, or online. That is the only way that I can justify this "guide". So in theory, at the time Beckett accumulated their data of a 9.5 graded card they found it selling at $xxx and when the accumulated their data for a card conditionally considered mint but ungraded the found it selling for $yyy.

You can't get too hung up on this stuff and it will not be as black and white as you would like to see it in math. In fact you will see values given for graded cards with a certain grade yet there has never been a card graded by Beckett and given that particular grade...go figure.

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]