`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Pricing Guide Question

Online Pricing Guide Question
I assume the question I have holds true for the magazine as well. I put a post with more detail in the Grading forum but since it gets very little viewing I wanted to come here as well.

I was looking at a card that happens to be graded by Beckett and the online guide has values listed for BVG 7, BVG 8, and BVG 9 but nothing for BVG 7.5 or BVG 8.5.

This alone was not so strange as they report what they are seeing in the market place right? Well the population report for the card I was looking at shows ZERO population for BVG 7 and BVG 8...so where did they get the values from? Also, there is a small volume of 7.5 and 8.5 in the population report but they don't list values for these grades????

So why is this important? Even though many would argue that to determine what the value of a card is you look at history on ebay for example rather than what Beckett shows...but, I know that I use what is in Beckett as a starting point to see if prices online or at a show or whatever is at least realistic...but now I wonder about that at all.

Confused
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

RE: Online Pricing Guide Question
The grading book value you see is conditional and not actual grade. BV is based on the condition of an 8 (modern cards) and variation of that is based on person holding the cards judgement. If you think the card will grade a 9 then the Mint+ pricing is used. I dont think they have implemented actual graded card values yet. I may be wrong but thats what I have come to believe.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(06-12-2012, 12:55 PM)branesergen Wrote: The grading book value you see is conditional and not actual grade. BV is based on the condition of an 8 (modern cards) and variation of that is based on person holding the cards judgement. If you think the card will grade a 9 then the Mint+ pricing is used. I dont think they have implemented actual graded card values yet. I may be wrong but thats what I have come to believe.
In my example the card I was talking about was a graded card and the values in the online guide I was talking about were for graded cards so there should be no judgement other than the person that did the grading.
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

I guess this there are not too many people collecting graded cards because nobody really responding. It just seems very strange that there are values given to "graded" cards in the online price guide when the population shows that there have been no cards given the grade they are giving values to.

Basically what the OP is saying ( at least I think ). Is how can beckett give a graded price for a card in a condition that has NOT been graded at such level ala a 7 BUT no cards of X player have been graded at a 7.

Also OP. The Grading prices are for BGS grades. NOT BVG..... As those are not considered the same...
BVG is a cheaper way to get ur cards graded.

(06-13-2012, 10:16 AM)thelegendjerryrice Wrote: Basically what the OP is saying ( at least I think ). Is how can beckett give a graded price for a card in a condition that has NOT been graded at such level ala a 7 BUT no cards of X player have been graded at a 7.

Also OP. The Grading prices are for BGS grades. NOT BVG..... As those are not considered the same...
BVG is a cheaper way to get ur cards graded.
BVG is cheaper? I think its the same price, but anything before 1980? goes into a BVG(Beckett Vintage Grade) instead of a BGS case.

(06-13-2012, 10:52 AM)bostonsports1 Wrote: BVG is cheaper? I think its the same price, but anything before 1980? goes into a BVG(Beckett Vintage Grade) instead of a BGS case.
If you are talking VINTAGE then yeah.

I took the BVG as those cheap graded cards....

OHHHHH ok BCCG my bad.... Got em mixed up Big Grin

Here is a real example perhaps it will clear up my question. For those of you that have purchased the online Beckett Price guide for football. Look up a 1968 Topps Fran Tarkenton card #161. If you pull up that card and look to the right under Graded Pricing you see a pricing value given to NmMT (8) as well as NrMt (7).

Now go to the population report that shows all of the BVG grades given to this card and you see a total of 17. However, none of these cards were give a grade of 7 or 8.

So the question is, where is the value for the beckett graded cards coming from if they show that none of these cards received these 2 grades from Beckett?

FYI....if you send in a card that is prior to 1981 it comes back graded BVG rather than BGS and does not have any subgrades. So the population report will only show BGS grades for any card beginning in 1981.

(06-13-2012, 11:26 AM)dmasci Wrote: Here is a real example perhaps it will clear up my question. For those of you that have purchased the online Beckett Price guide for football. Look up a 1968 Topps Fran Tarkenton card #161. If you pull up that card and look to the right under Graded Pricing you see a pricing value given to NmMT (8) as well as NrMt (7).

Now go to the population report that shows all of the BVG grades given to this card and you see a total of 17. However, none of these cards were give a grade of 7 or 8.

So the question is, where is the value for the beckett graded cards coming from if they show that none of these cards received these 2 grades from Beckett?

FYI....if you send in a card that is prior to 1981 it comes back graded BVG rather than BGS and does not have any subgrades. So the population report will only show BGS grades for any card beginning in 1981.
because it is a guide. you dont have to necessarily need to have a epecific sale of a card to suss out value. if you had cards grade above and below that grade, you can get an idea what that card should be valued at. also, you can comoare it to other cards in that set, or similar sets from previous years

do you think, when they comwe out with pricing for new sets, they actually look at what the commons sell for? no. it is based upon price point of product, similar products from prior years, etc

it isnt just about what each card has sold for

(06-13-2012, 11:37 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: because it is a guide. you dont have to necessarily need to have a epecific sale of a card to suss out value. if you had cards grade above and below that grade, you can get an idea what that card should be valued at. also, you can comoare it to other cards in that set, or similar sets from previous years

do you think, when they comwe out with pricing for new sets, they actually look at what the commons sell for? no. it is based upon price point of product, similar products from prior years, etc

it isnt just about what each card has sold for
So why do we have to wait so darn long for them to get the market info then lol

Had to say it Wink