`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Pricing Guide Question

RE: Online Pricing Guide Question
BVG and BGS are the same. The only difference is BVG is for cards older than 1981. BCCG is the cheaper and useless form of grading.

The OP is suggesting how can they determine the value of a card without there being examples of the card even existing while cards that actual do exist still do not have a value. My answer to this is Beckett is not perfect nor will they ever be. Its up to you to do the research to determine what a card is worth and not rely on Beckett because no chance can they keep track of millions of cards.

Also when you search the BV on cards and you see the chart where is gives you the values based on condition that chart is for "raw" or ungraded cards. There is a separate chart for graded cards but 90% or more of cards in the OPG do not have this chart. Only the most popular graded cards will have the proper BGS graded values. ie 1984 Topps Dan Marino RC #123.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

You seem to be only checking the BVG population report, but Beckett is not the only grading service. Have you checked the PSA population reports?
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

(06-13-2012, 12:45 PM)uwash97 Wrote: You seem to be only checking the BVG population report, but Beckett is not the only grading service. Have you checked the PSA population reports?
Thanks for all of the input. To answer your question above no, I have only checked Beckett because that is all I collect. I am not asking this question because I am in the market for this card, I just found this one example.

While I realize that this is a "guide" I was under the impression perhaps in error that the values listed in the guide were derived from what they are seeing in the market place, whether that be card shops, card shows, ebay etc. It just struck me as odd that they list a value for a specific Beckett Graded Card when according the the population report there has not been a card graded with that particular grade.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

(06-13-2012, 12:52 PM)dmasci Wrote: While I realize that this is a "guide" I was under the impression perhaps in error that the values listed in the guide were derived from what they are seeing in the market place, whether that be card shops, card shows, ebay etc.
they are. but when a specific grade hasnt been sold, they use other information to derive value, as i described above

i dont see why that is hard to fathom

(06-13-2012, 12:45 PM)uwash97 Wrote: You seem to be only checking the BVG population report, but Beckett is not the only grading service. Have you checked the PSA population reports?
Ya they could be using PSA prices at a 7 or 8 to get their prices as well.

(06-13-2012, 01:07 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i dont see why that is hard to fathom
LOL, easy tiger...it's not hard to fathom...it's just not how I understood how the price guide was set up. I always felt that the values in the price guide "reflect current retail selling ranges". So if a card has not ever been sold they simply would not list a value for that card and since a BVG 7 for the card mentioned earlier does not exist I would have thought they would simple omit that like they do for other grades...guess not...
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]