`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debate on who's a better player Kobe or Lebron

Debate on who's a better player Kobe or Lebron
I know many people think Kobe is a better player and I mostly think it’s because of his 5 NBA Championships they say this. I can see the argument there but if you think about it 3 of Kobe's 5 NBA Championships he had Shaq on his team. Let’s look at 1999-00 Shaq won the NBA MVP regular season award and Kobe was 12th on that list. Shaq was the 2000, 2001 and 2002 NBA Finals MVP. So in 2000-01 Shaq was 3rd and Kobe was 9th for the MVP and Shaq won the Finals MVP. So we go to 2001-02 Shaq was 3rd in the MVP vote and Kobe was 5th and yet again Shaq won the NBA Finals MVP. Then we go to 2007-08 Kobe won the MVP award and in 2008-09 and 2009-10 he won the finals MVP. Lebron has yet to win a championship yet but he played for Cleveland for his first 6 season and had no one else but him who was worth mentioning unless you want to count an old Shaq who barley played at all that year. So I ask what makes people feel why he is better. I am going to throw out NBA MVP ranking for each year on each player just to show you to compare. Looking at my count in Lebron’s career he was always on the MVP list with his worse finish being 9th on his rookie year and after that he was no worse than 6th which his 2nd year was and in the top 5 every other year. Kobe it took him 4 year to even get a vote and has only won 1 to Lebron's 3 MVP's. I question anyone who thinks Kobe Bryant is better. Just look at it Lebron is a better all-around player he is better on defense and offence and the only reason why people say Kobe is better is because he has 5 NBA Championships 3 of which Shaq was the main reasoning for winning. Kobe has had a better team his entire career till last year when Lebron James joined the Miami Heat and he was hated for doing that. Now please make your argument on why you think Kobe is better or worse than Lebron. Here is the voting for their entire career for each player and Kobe's 5 NBA Championship rings would be the only reason I can see why people think he is better (3 of which he might not even have if it was not for Shaq). Now give me reasons why you think I am wrong.

Kobe Bryant MVP voting
1999-00=12th
2000-01=9th
2001-02=5th
2002-03=3rd
2003-04=5th
2005-06=4th
2006-07=3rd
2007-08=1st
2008-09=2nd
2009-10=3rd
2010-11=4th
2011-12=4th

Lebron James MVP voting
2003-04=9th
2004-05=6th
2005-06=2nd
2006-07=5th
2007-08=4th
2008-09=1st
2009-10=1st
2010-11=3rd
2011-12=1st
Oh and if you want to see where I recieved all my info it was from these 2 sites.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/
http://www.nba.com/history/finalsmvps.html
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

RE: Debate on who's a better player Kobe or Lebron
I'm not necessarily going to say which one I think is better per se, but I would rather have Kobe on my team than LeBron. To say which one is better, there is a LOT more involved than just MVP voting if you ask me. Records for when that player is out, how well that player plays through adversity, the "clutch gene", the ability to make their teammates better, and so many other factors. I don't believe MVP is the only thing to take into consideration.

Again, not saying Kobe is better than LeBron, but you have to think of it this way as well in terms of Kobe's championships. Shaq did win those Finals MVPs, and he was very talented. However, he was much bigger than most of his one on one opponents and had it not been for Kobe, he may have been doubled or tripled each time he got the ball. With Kobe, Shaq's abilities may have been able to shine more (making your teammates better, even when not trying). The coaches may have worried more about Kobe's ability to get hot more than Shaq (kind of foolish at the time). So because of Kobe, Shaq was amazing and because of Shaq, Kobe was amazing.

Another argument for Kobe, though again, I'm not saying which one is better (I think Durant is better all around and will continue to get better which is scary), Kobe came onto a team that was already well established and he wasn't expected to come in and save the team. His first two years, he sat a lot on the bench and didn't get very many minutes. He's progressed through his career and been pretty consistent.

Point of my argument, LeBron and Kobe are different in many aspects which makes comparing them pretty difficult. They play different positions, have major different physiques, and came into the league in different eras and played in different conferences. There's no simple (look at the awards, etc.) solution to determining who is better. I think Durant is better than both of them (currently) and will continue to get better (I hope), but of Kobe and LeBron, I would rather have Kobe on my team than LeBron. Hope that's a good enough debate for you. Night, I'm tired. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Lebrons versatility makes him the better player. In looking at the overall game a Lebrun it's clear he has a more complete game. It is far to say that we can count on both players to put up big scoring numbers, but lebrons ability to guard everyone from the point to the power forward makes him Valuable. Also he is a more efficient scorer. The other main aspect is that lebron is a super star that knows how to pass which is rare. The only thing I give Kobe is his ability to make the last shot which is pretty big but not enough to make him more valuable then lebron

(06-09-2012, 02:04 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: I'm not necessarily going to say which one I think is better per se, but I would rather have Kobe on my team than LeBron. To say which one is better, there is a LOT more involved than just MVP voting if you ask me. Records for when that player is out, how well that player plays through adversity, the "clutch gene", the ability to make their teammates better, and so many other factors. I don't believe MVP is the only thing to take into consideration.

Again, not saying Kobe is better than LeBron, but you have to think of it this way as well in terms of Kobe's championships. Shaq did win those Finals MVPs, and he was very talented. However, he was much bigger than most of his one on one opponents and had it not been for Kobe, he may have been doubled or tripled each time he got the ball. With Kobe, Shaq's abilities may have been able to shine more (making your teammates better, even when not trying). The coaches may have worried more about Kobe's ability to get hot more than Shaq (kind of foolish at the time). So because of Kobe, Shaq was amazing and because of Shaq, Kobe was amazing.

Another argument for Kobe, though again, I'm not saying which one is better (I think Durant is better all around and will continue to get better which is scary), Kobe came onto a team that was already well established and he wasn't expected to come in and save the team. His first two years, he sat a lot on the bench and didn't get very many minutes. He's progressed through his career and been pretty consistent.

Point of my argument, LeBron and Kobe are different in many aspects which makes comparing them pretty difficult. They play different positions, have major different physiques, and came into the league in different eras and played in different conferences. There's no simple (look at the awards, etc.) solution to determining who is better. I think Durant is better than both of them (currently) and will continue to get better (I hope), but of Kobe and LeBron, I would rather have Kobe on my team than LeBron. Hope that's a good enough debate for you. Night, I'm tired. Smile
Different era Kobe came in in 1996-97 and Lebron came out in 2003-04 that’s less than 10 years. I can't say you can use the argument. Yes Kobe had to face an ageing Michael Jordan but since you put it in this perspective lets reverse the role and put Lebron on the Lakers from 1996-97 to this present day of course he would be Kobe's age right now but do you think with a team built around him and a Shaq in his prime that he would not have more than 5 Championships. You picking Kobe Bryant more of a ball hog over Lebron seems crazy to me. You can make an argument on scoring as there both great and either one I would take. But Lebron is a way better passer than Kobe but will take over a game if he has to like in Game 6 the other day. Then move to defense and its hands down Lebron all the way. He prides himself on defense. Now put Kobe in Lebron's place how would he of done all by himself on a Cleveland team leaving high school. Would he of even made it to the finals pretty much by himself? As far as Kevin Durrant he is a great player and I like him a lot as well and I am hoping to see the Heat play vs. OKC and I don't care who wins I am rooting for Lebron James just because he gets blamed for everything but in my mind if by some chance Boston beats them it was because of Wade's poor playing and not Lebron. But back to the subject Durrant is not where Lebron is at I feel his is close as Lebron is on the top of the mountain and Durrant is one step behind him as far as the better all-around player and then there is the rest of the NBA below those two players. As I stated before scoring it’s a toss-up between those two but where Lebron is better is passing and defense but I do see Lebron and Durrant equal as team players as Kobe to me is more of an individual player.
Now predicting the finals I am thinking OKC will win in 5 games as there team is running on all cylinders where Miami big 3 Lebron is the only one keeping them in it and OKC is just too young and good for him to beat them by himself as it will seem he almost has to unless Wade starts playing better and Bosh starts playing 38 to 40 minutes.

Oh and I know why you dislike Lebron James as he went off on your Detroit team to score all the 4th quarter points to take it to overtime and score all but a few points in overtime to beat them.
(06-09-2012, 02:54 AM)mkimura Wrote: Lebrons versatility makes him the better player. In looking at the overall game a Lebrun it's clear he has a more complete game. It is far to say that we can count on both players to put up big scoring numbers, but lebrons ability to guard everyone from the point to the power forward makes him Valuable. Also he is a more efficient scorer. The other main aspect is that lebron is a super star that knows how to pass which is rare. The only thing I give Kobe is his ability to make the last shot which is pretty big but not enough to make him more valuable then lebron
My point exactly Lebron might not have that game finishing instinct though he has won and lost games on the final shot just a Kobe. Lebron is criticized a lot more than Kobe as they look at him in a microscope as he is treated differently and I feel no one can argue that point because if he does good and his team wins they call him great but if he does good and his team loses its his fault for not being great or hitting that game winning clutch shot. Look at the greats talking after the game as after the first 2 games they were saying oh Boston is done Lebron is to good and then after the 2 Boston home wins they were saying the Heat were done and when they lost game 5 it was over. Then Miami wins game 6 and their not saying anything which is probably the best thing to do. Either way if Boston or Miami wins I don't see either one beating OKC at this point in time.

id rather watch lebron but im not saying whos better. no matter how hard i try not to think about it when i watch him kobes past makes me dislike him a bit
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

(06-09-2012, 09:00 AM)chrisa19978 Wrote: Oh and I know why you dislike Lebron James as he went off on your Detroit team to score all the 4th quarter points to take it to overtime and score all but a few points in overtime to beat them.
lol. I'm not that petty. I didn't pick Kobe or LeBron as a better player. I am not really a fan of either of them per se. But if I had to choose who I wanted on my team, it would be Kobe, not LeBron. My main reason for that is because Kobe has proven to be pretty clutch. LeBron can just as easily take over a game, and not to go against Doc Rivers' request, but LeBron does seem to disappear more often than not in crunch time/games. Now, maybe what LeBron said is the block he had and he'll never have that problem again (about him trying to prove everyone wrong rather than just playing), but I can't foresee the future. Kobe has a history of coming up big late in games and taking over games just as much as LeBron has. LeBron is more of a team player. However, I think the defense part may not be a fair comparison. LeBron is much taller and has a bigger frame. He is even more athletic. However, Kobe is a very good (not great, but good) on ball defender. He's not going to have monstrous blocks nor collect 10+ rebounds in a game, that's not his position. LeBron could darn near play Center if needed.

As far as the Durant thing, I agree, Durant may be 1 step behind LeBron. LeBron is 26/27, Durant is 23, so Durant is a freak. Smile The only thing Durant has to work on is defense some. With his size and athleticism, him and Ibaka should be fighting for the blocks lead on the team. Durant has that "clutch gene" as Steven A Smith puts it, LeBron doesn't (or hasn't). Durant paces himself in the game so he knows he can go just as strong if not harder at the end of the game. But all three of these players play different positions (sorry, with LeBron's size, I really think he should be a PF, not an SF even with his freakish athleticism). They are all the best at their positions. Of who I would want on my team (not who I think is better, and I do see there being a difference) it would be Durant, then Kobe, then LeBron. Durant has a trump card because of his character. If they ever decided to rename the Sportsmanship Award, currently named after my favorite player Joe Dumars, I would hope Durant would get that honor.

But yeah, I don't dislike someone for going off and beating my team. If anything, I'd be more upset at my team as everyone is stoppable, you just have to put forth the effort. He did what he is capable of doing, and should do, every game. I won't dislike someone for doing what they're capable of. lol.

(06-09-2012, 02:45 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: lol. I'm not that petty. I didn't pick Kobe or LeBron as a better player. I am not really a fan of either of them per se. But if I had to choose who I wanted on my team, it would be Kobe, not LeBron. My main reason for that is because Kobe has proven to be pretty clutch. LeBron can just as easily take over a game, and not to go against Doc Rivers' request, but LeBron does seem to disappear more often than not in crunch time/games. Now, maybe what LeBron said is the block he had and he'll never have that problem again (about him trying to prove everyone wrong rather than just playing), but I can't foresee the future. Kobe has a history of coming up big late in games and taking over games just as much as LeBron has. LeBron is more of a team player. However, I think the defense part may not be a fair comparison. LeBron is much taller and has a bigger frame. He is even more athletic. However, Kobe is a very good (not great, but good) on ball defender. He's not going to have monstrous blocks nor collect 10+ rebounds in a game, that's not his position. LeBron could darn near play Center if needed.

As far as the Durant thing, I agree, Durant may be 1 step behind LeBron. LeBron is 26/27, Durant is 23, so Durant is a freak. Smile The only thing Durant has to work on is defense some. With his size and athleticism, him and Ibaka should be fighting for the blocks lead on the team. Durant has that "clutch gene" as Steven A Smith puts it, LeBron doesn't (or hasn't). Durant paces himself in the game so he knows he can go just as strong if not harder at the end of the game. But all three of these players play different positions (sorry, with LeBron's size, I really think he should be a PF, not an SF even with his freakish athleticism). They are all the best at their positions. Of who I would want on my team (not who I think is better, and I do see there being a difference) it would be Durant, then Kobe, then LeBron. Durant has a trump card because of his character. If they ever decided to rename the Sportsmanship Award, currently named after my favorite player Joe Dumars, I would hope Durant would get that honor.

But yeah, I don't dislike someone for going off and beating my team. If anything, I'd be more upset at my team as everyone is stoppable, you just have to put forth the effort. He did what he is capable of doing, and should do, every game. I won't dislike someone for doing what they're capable of. lol.
I know that was not the real reason but just had to mention it as that was a clutch as you can get. Kobe might be a better clutch player but my point with Shaq he got his 1st three rings and took a ton of pressure off of him for the other 2 he won. Lebron is still searching for that first one and pressure has been a factor on why he didn't win and no supporting cast till last year and this year and his first championship could be huge for the rest of his career. Everyone knows the first one will be the hardest to get. Getting down to the final 2 teams I can't imagine the pressure that will be on everyone and then the possibility of it being your first which is going to be the most special one. After that when they get there again its will not be will this be Lebron's first ring and more so can he do it again.

(06-09-2012, 03:59 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: I know that was not the real reason but just had to mention it as that was a clutch as you can get. Kobe might be a better clutch player but my point with Shaq he got his 1st three rings and took a ton of pressure off of him for the other 2 he won. Lebron is still searching for that first one and pressure has been a factor on why he didn't win and no supporting cast till last year and this year and his first championship could be huge for the rest of his career. Everyone knows the first one will be the hardest to get. Getting down to the final 2 teams I can't imagine the pressure that will be on everyone and then the possibility of it being your first which is going to be the most special one. After that when they get there again its will not be will this be Lebron's first ring and more so can he do it again.
Sorry, but I believe KD will be booking a trip to DC for next December. Smile Not LeBron. lol.

What are you guys writing a darn book jeez i aint reading all that

Simple Lebron is the more skilled player but Kobe has the Drive and Deterimation to be a Champion.

i think lebron is the better player by a mile...better passer better rebounder better defender shoots at a higher %..makes teammates better.
collecting jason williams..