`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Maildays - 6/2 & 6/4

RE: Two Maildays - 6/2 & 6/4
(06-06-2012, 09:45 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: While I enjoy most of his music, I would kind of be highly disappointed. Smile Let's see where this new management takes us first. Smile
New Management? Dumars got the Boot?

(06-06-2012, 09:46 AM)bbills1999 Wrote: New Management? Dumars got the Boot?
Maybe I should have said Owners. Smile But I consider these owners, since Tom Gores and his associates have been highly involved, part of management. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(06-06-2012, 09:45 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: While I enjoy most of his music, I would kind of be highly disappointed. Smile Let's see where this new management takes us first. Smile

Ohw come on. Wouldn't you like to see the D12 Pistons play? Jason Maxiell can be Bizarre

(06-06-2012, 10:25 AM)folkertino Wrote: Ohw come on. Wouldn't you like to see the D12 Pistons play? Jason Maxiell can be Bizarre
The only person that could play Bizarre would be Escalade from And1. Smile Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Eminem throwing together an AAU team or a team to go up against the And1 guys. Smile

(06-06-2012, 09:51 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: Maybe I should have said Owners. Smile But I consider these owners, since Tom Gores and his associates have been highly involved, part of management. Smile
well dont expect much will dumars is running the show.. Great player Horrible GM/Pres.. Caught lightning in a bottle with the championship team but couldnt sustain it.

(06-06-2012, 10:31 AM)bbills1999 Wrote: well dont expect much will dumars is running the show.. Great player Horrible GM/Pres.. Caught lightning in a bottle with the championship team but couldnt sustain it.
Unfair assessment. Here's why I think so...

7 straight 50+ win seasons
6 straight trips to the Eastern Conference Finals or further (2 Finals appearances)
1 Championship (same amount as Boston, Tongue, cause they ain't getting one this year)

Why did the team fall apart? Here's why...

Ben Wallace left in 2006-07 because he was butting heads with Flip Saunders and Chicago offered him $60 million when Detroit could only offer $48 million (cap issues).

Chauncey Billups left in what was supposed to be a cap clearing move and Rodney Stuckey was supposed to continue his progress. Failed experiment, but trying to get youthful and clear cap space is always a good thing.

Rasheed Wallace left because of money, bad coaching moves, and he was on his way out.

Larry Brown left because of the following:

wikipedia Wrote:Brown has also drawn criticism for searching publicly for other jobs while still employed. This happened most recently in May 2005, when rumors surfaced that Brown would become the Cleveland Cavaliers' team president as soon as the Detroit Pistons finished their postseason. The rumor, which was not dispelled by Brown, became a major distraction as the Pistons lost to the San Antonio Spurs in seven games in the 2005 NBA Finals.

On July 19, 2005, the Pistons, displeased with Brown's public flirtations with other teams, bought out the remaining years of Brown's contract, allowing him to sign with another team.[5][6] A week later, on July 28, Brown became the head coach of the New York Knicks,[7] with a 5-year contract reportedly worth between $50 million and $60 million, making him the highest-paid coach in NBA history.
After that, Joe D tried out coaches that were willing, but in the end, didn't get the job done (Michael Curry, John Kuester) and a coach that really butted heads with some of the players (Flip Saunders).

And of course, everyone wants to get on Joe D about drafting Darko over Carmelo or Wade. Honestly, I have no problem with that move as we won the championship that year. Bringing in Wade or Anthony would have been kind of redundant with Hamilton already there who was at the peak of his career. Also, I'm not fond (hope I don't offend anyone) of Wade or Anthony's character, I don't think it would have meshed with the team. I read an article about how the 2004 Championship team could get on the plane after a win or loss and look at each other and actually discuss what each one did wrong without hurting any feelings. Sorry, but the characters I've seen from Wade and Anthony suggest (at least to me) that they wouldn't have gotten along there, but I could be wrong. Anyways, he's draft's Darko, picks up Rasheed and we win the championship. Still made it to the ECF 4 straight years after that.

Now we're in rebuilding mode. Has picked up Greg Monroe in the draft, Brandon Knight in the draft and we have the 9th pick this year. Joe D was very limited in what he could do for two years while Karen Davidson (the late Piston's owner Bill Davidson's wife) was trying to sell the team (he wasn't really able to make many moves). Now we have a new owner who has already put a few million into accommodations for the players (breakfast and lunch at practice facility, $3 million on the new locker room, etc.) and has given Joe D the reins to bring in whomever we need if it's the right move.

So, I wouldn't necessarily fault Joe D for the 2004 team falling apart. He got us to a championship after only being in the position for 4 years, they maintained it for another 4-5 years after that, and now we're in rebuilding mode. Started 4-20 after the lockout (new coach, new rookie PG, new owner, played the most games in the shortest amount of time, Stuckey not signing until just before the season, and some lockout enduced injuries) but went 21-21 down the stretch. So, we're pointed in the right direction, just have to hope that direction brings us in one more big and we'll be able to make the playoffs at least as an 8th seed.

Nice Salley!
[Image: 3090vis.png]

(06-06-2012, 11:55 AM)bigjdub79 Wrote: Nice Salley!
Thanks. Smile

(06-06-2012, 11:22 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: Unfair assessment. Here's why I think so...

7 straight 50+ win seasons
6 straight trips to the Eastern Conference Finals or further (2 Finals appearances)
1 Championship (same amount as Boston, Tongue, cause they ain't getting one this year)

Why did the team fall apart? Here's why...

Ben Wallace left in 2006-07 because he was butting heads with Flip Saunders and Chicago offered him $60 million when Detroit could only offer $48 million (cap issues).

Chauncey Billups left in what was supposed to be a cap clearing move and Rodney Stuckey was supposed to continue his progress. Failed experiment, but trying to get youthful and clear cap space is always a good thing.

Rasheed Wallace left because of money, bad coaching moves, and he was on his way out.

Larry Brown left because of the following:
You guys played in the East when it was in it was going thru its worst stretch talent wise there just wasnt any talent in the east so Ehhhhh to that Like i said he caught lightning in a bottle..

Ben Wallace went from Garbage him to DPOY, they were Gifted Hamilton because Washington was dumping him to make room for Jordan, And Sheed was Dumped on your lap.. Put that squad together was more luck then anything else.

With that said Joe Fail was Sustaining the Run..

They let Big Ben walk they could have offered more but choose not to go over the Cap. After loosing him they did nothing to try to replace him.

THey Stupidly Trade Billups for Iverson becasue they wanted more scoring putting all his eggs in Stuckey basket which turned out FAIL.

Overpaid Rip then Overpaid Ben Gordon both played the same Position and Stuckey is pretty much the same player as well it was just a Dumb log jam at that poisiton..

Now they go into rebuilding mode and last off season they Dumbly Extent Teyshaun Prince and Stuckey(after drafting Knight). If your Going to rebuild then Rebuild you dont do that by resigning your over the Hill/Failed experement players...

Im not even gonna get into the Dumb Coaching Hires because i think that was more of Ownership wanting to go Cheap then bring in a Solid Vet Coach.

(06-06-2012, 01:41 PM)bbills1999 Wrote: You guys played in the East when it was in it was going thru its worst stretch talent wise there just wasnt any talent in the east so Ehhhhh to that Like i said he caught lightning in a bottle..

Ben Wallace went from Garbage him to DPOY, they were Gifted Hamilton because Washington was dumping him to make room for Jordan, And Sheed was Dumped on your lap.. Put that squad together was more luck then anything else.

With that said Joe Fail was Sustaining the Run..

They let Big Ben walk they could have offered more but choose not to go over the Cap. After loosing him they did nothing to try to replace him.

THey Stupidly Trade Billups for Iverson becasue they wanted more scoring putting all his eggs in Stuckey basket which turned out FAIL.

Overpaid Rip then Overpaid Ben Gordon both played the same Position and Stuckey is pretty much the same player as well it was just a Dumb log jam at that poisiton..

Now they go into rebuilding mode and last off season they Dumbly Extent Teyshaun Prince and Stuckey(after drafting Knight). If your Going to rebuild then Rebuild you dont do that by resigning your over the Hill/Failed experement players...

Im not even gonna get into the Dumb Coaching Hires because i think that was more of Ownership wanting to go Cheap then bring in a Solid Vet Coach.

I had no problem with the Tayshaun resigning. I was alright with that and many people said it was a steal price wise and he's always been solid (kind of like Haslem). Stuckey I was more upset about, but turned out to be alright as Stuckey and Knight make a very good backcourt. Knight learned to keep his TOs down, Stuckey got to be more aggressive going to the basket (ala Allen Iverson), and they made the team faster.

With Michigan's economy, would you suggest any team go over the cap? Smile I loved Big Ben and was upset he left, but understood the financial reasons and saw the issues he was having with Flip Saunders, but management was in on Flip (wish they weren't). And Ben went from garbage to DPOY not because of some dumb found luck, but team chemistry. He'll say so himself. He said he wouldn't have been the player he was without the guys he had around him.

I already admitted the Iverson/Billups was a fail. Smile Though, if Stuckey stays who he is or gets better, along with Knight in the backcourt, I'm ok with that. I'll take three to four years of pain for another dynamic backcourt like Isiah and Joe D (not saying either of them are comparable, but Stuckey and Knight can be dynamic together).

Eh, on the overpaid on Rip. That's a wash. It's more overpaid because of having signed Ben Gordon, but if we hadn't, it would have been a good deal. I was ok with getting Gordon because we needed someone to come in when Rip was on the bench. However, his first major career injury really hurt his confidence. He can still explode for some great games and having him come in for Stuckey or moving Stuckey to point while he plays SG worked out pretty well this year when they were all healthy.

And I'll give you a LITTLE credit on the competition in the East, it was a little weak, but consistently getting stronger and so were we until about 2006-07

The one thing that really did upset me was signing Villanueva. He's a poor, very poor, man's Rasheed Wallace on his best days, but they paid him like Rasheed Wallace, which was bad. It seemed like it would fit, but it sure hasn't. I'd love for them to use the Amnesty clause on him.

Sadly though, Detroit doesn't have anything outside of Knight and Monroe that are trade worthy. I mean, we have some great role players, but we'd have to give up like three our four role players and some cash to bring in a star. That's why if this draft produces a starter worthy PF/C, I suspect we should be competing heavily for at least the 8th seed this coming season. That's my guess, mark it down. Smile