`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
More NOOB Questions (Thanks in Advance)

RE: More NOOB Questions (Thanks in Advance)
thanks for all the useful advice, really appreciate it.

Points is for thickness. Larger points means it will hold a thicker card, lower points will hold thinner cards
I use top loaders and penny sleeves on any rookie that books above 4.00.
I use top loaders for any regular card that books over 10.00 (like base, inserts, gu autos
I use the magnet and screw down holders ( just depends on which one i have at the time for my more expensive cards and gu/ gu autos
everything else goes into a 9 page pocket sleve in a 3 ring 3" binder. I have 20 or so books full of nothing but stars and star rookies.
There is not a wrong way in storing your cards. Well may be one the damaging way like shoebox and loose cards, rubber bands, paper clips and gluing them.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

As far as penny sleeves, the regular ones are fine for most standard cards - but next time you are at a card shop pick up 1 or 2 packs of "Ultra Pro - Vintage Card Sleeves" 2 3/4 x 3 15/16 - these are just a bit larger than normal and work better for some of the thicker cards.

I bought penny sleeves at Walmart once and they were OK, but pretty cheap - the regular size ones at my LCS are only .99 for pack of 100 and work fine.

Toploaders vary quite a bit in size - again the ones at walmart are about the smallest available and you would be lucky to get one base Topps card with a penny sleeve into it. Again, better to go to an LCS - my regular one has about 6 different sizes and I just keep at least one pack of each size on hand, then use whichever one best fits the card I am working on (just never figured out how to know which pt. size to use by looking at a card).

As for the screwdown vs. Magnetic - if you are SURE of the size, screwdown is more secure for long term, but (as mentioned above) can cause damage when tightening if card slips. They do come in different sizes and might be best to try some of each size until you find the one that is best.

Don't know if you have a good card shop near you, but at least for supplies, it might be worth making the trip to one (even if far away) to get supplies - also, you could bring a few of the cards with you and have them help you pick holders.

Good luck,

Ken
CURRENT NEEDS:
*2011 Topps Black Diamond Wrapper Redemptions (wants marked in ORG)
*All Carl Edwards Cards I don't have (wants marked in ORG)
*Marcus Thornton, Kevin Johnson (NBA)
*"Air Coryell" San Diego Chargers
[Image: 6802037740_e2e39685ee.jpg]

(06-04-2012, 01:53 PM)kinarism Wrote: Never buy Walmart Penny Sleaves though, they aren't clear and actually vary in size (so a card might fit into one but not another).
I buy all my other supplies at LCS or online.
I agree. After trying Wal-Mart sleeves that didn't fit, I buy BCW.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

After reading ALL of these replies, I HAVE to make my own comment!
I don't really know where I should start though.
I guess I will start with card sleeves (AKA = penny sleeves).
You can buy the '2 & 5/8ths" x 3 & 5/8ths" sized card sleeves @ 100 per pack for about or less than $1.00 per pack, if you buy a few packs at a time. I buy mine from 'D&ACardworld.com' when I buy a box of cards. You can get larger sized ones if you want to pay the price. Wink

For hard plastic/acrylic cases, I really like the 'Magnetic One-Touch' Ultra-Pro brand cases for my extra-thick cards. I use the 130 Pt. or higher (180pt.) 1-Touch for most of my cards that will not fit inside an Ultra-Pro 9-card page slot! You would really have to check out the thickness of the card vs. the thickness of the case to know what to try and work with!