`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your worst collecting mistake EVER!!!

RE: What's your worst collecting mistake EVER!!!
(05-31-2012, 08:03 PM)bruinsfan08 Wrote: My biggest mistake was storing ALL of my cards, about a dozen 5,000 count boxes worth, everything but my Bruins collection in the basement while we refinished my bedroom and den. A water main broke in the street while the city worked on the sewer system. Here's the view from my front porch...

[Image: IMG_0015.JPG]

Here's the top of my basement steps. There are 7 steps not pictured, they're under water...

[Image: IMG_0033.JPG]

along with most of what we owned and stored down there. A complete drum set, a couple of guitars, 99% of my card collection, washer, dryer, water heater, furnace, not to mention books photos, records, everything we owned that wasn't used on a day to day basis. Since it wasn't a natural disaster, the home owners insurance covered nothing, and when we filed a claim with the city, they claimed it was a flood caused by rain water. It had rained for about half an hour when this happened. So, basically, we were out of luck. Insure, for flood, even when you're not in a flood area kids, because your town isn't going to take the hit if they don't have to. I had no argument with either my city or my insurance company, they both pointed the finger at one another, and I couldn't afford a lawyer. Frrrrrown.
I seriously would have cried, no lie, i think i would've cried then made
a big paper mache ***** out of the cards and dropped it off at city hall.
but hey thats just me!

Thats a real life nightmare on elm street ( sorry couldnt resist ).

I had something similar happen to me. Had our sewer back up in the basement suite I was staying in after a vicious storm one night. Water got to be about 2 feet deep before we got a gas-powered pump running. Lost about 5000 base cards along with pictures, antiques, and everything else you keep in a basement. Thankfully I was fully insured and was able to replace the cards along with everything else that was damaged.

Bought a case of SPX from an a-hole in germany. He had 100% feedback, but took my money and never shipped it. Refused to answer my emails and this was back when people could still send money orders on ebay so no paypal protection. People who just steal money blatantly like that deserve hard jail time.
Collecting Detroit Lions, Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Tigers, UFC cards
Hockey Auto's of Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Jonathan Quick, Giroux, Toews, Kane
http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l537/any4forsberg/

I have several but buying an autograph Joe Montana S.F jersey for $600.00 from the Collectors Journal has to rank as my number one. I knew it was a huge risk and it was purely an impulse buy but as soon as I seen the C.O.A I realized what I had done.

3 years after purchasing the jersey I traded it for a Gretzky card that booked for $300.00. No word of a lie, the very next month the card dropped to $150.00; then the month after that $75.00. I think I ended up selling the card on E-Bay for $45.00 or something like that. I had to put that nightmare out of its misery.

(05-31-2012, 05:35 PM)onoxxxregretso Wrote: A lot of you know about mine. It happened right around the time I first started posting here, about ten months ago when I got back into collecting.

I was looking for a way to beef up my collection and saw an ad on Craigslist for a guy selling a hockey lot. He bought an entire card store but only wanted to keep the football. I went and checked out the cards and ended up paying $200 for the lot. It was mostly 90-95 common stuff. To add insult to injury I only looked through one box (about seven or eight 500-800 count boxes) and got home to find out I had about 3 partial sets of early 90's Score, Pro Set, Upper Deck, as well as some complete sets, and even multiple complete sets.

There was also a whole box full of crap I don't need that I'm stuck with like movie cards, racing cards, wrestling cards, boxing cards, etc.

Felt like a fool after I went through everything. It still isn't all in my org and it's almost been a year.

I like to think I evened it out by purchasing the 580 Patrick Roy lot for $250 and getting over $1000 in BV on those cards as well as some other small merchandise with him pictured on it.
I might be interested in the movie and wrestling cards - depending on what they are. Send me a PM if you know what you have.

Thanks,
Nathan

Selling all my 1950 and 1960 Willie Mays and Willie McCovey cards in addition to complete Topps baseball sets from 1968-1980. I git about $300 in the early 80s for them.... I, of course, hate myself (but only in a collecting way)
Collecting all the Ron Hextall Cards especially those
pesky 1 of 1 cards and other low print runs.
I am also collecting Bernie Parent, Pelle Lindbergh,
Antero Niittymaki & other Flyers goalies.
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/dam1057/

we learned from all of them

mind is trading with 1 guy online who i got ripped off (not on beckett).... back on the dial up days
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)