`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
sets vs individual cards

sets vs individual cards
So, I've come across my boxes several sets.

Should I keep the sets as they are? Some of which have never been opened

Or, should I open the sets and put up the cards for individual sell?

Thanks for your guidance!

RE: sets vs individual cards
Depends on the sets. I'd check the completed listings on ebay to see what your sets are fetching, then take a look at the key cards in the set and see if you can make more by pulling those. The downside to that, of course, is that your stuck with a bunch of sets that no one will ever buy because they're missing the best cards.

(05-31-2012, 08:21 AM)sileliasdan Wrote: So, I've come across my boxes several sets.

Should I keep the sets as they are? Some of which have never been opened

Or, should I open the sets and put up the cards for individual sell?

Thanks for your guidance!
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

I believe the unopened factory sets will usually be worth more than the key individual cards, which haven't been graded. Doing a search on completed auctions is a great suggestion. I don't know of a case where the individual cards would sell better, unless lots for that set sell really well. I once sold a 100 count lot of '90 Leaf commons on Ebay for $20.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

I agree with jhyde about the unopened sets. List those & add in the listing or description the keys stars or rookies in the set & that should help fetch more looks & money. The opened sets cherry pick the key players & list individually or make team lots. Good luck!
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

It really depends on the set. There are plenty of sets that are worth more breaking them up then selling as a set. You can always donate the leftover commons, after breaking up a set, to a Children's hospital or Card4Kids or some other similar organization.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/