IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
refractors

refractors
I've got a bunch of shiny, reflective Topps cards, such as this one:
http://www.beckett.com/baseball/1994/fin...na-4059021

How can I tell if it's the regular card, or the refractor (which is worth a lot more)?

RE: refractors
without much exception, refractors will say "refractor" on the back (or have an "r" some years)

only a couple exceptions to that rule, like early finest cards

refractors have a depth of perspective to them, not just shiny. if you have multiple cards from a set, if you put them next to each other, refractors are fairly obvious

A refractor will have a reflective rainbow effect when light is shined on them. They refract the light and give you a full color rainbow reflection, whereas the non-refractors will just reflect the light and not give the rainbow effect. The easiest way to be 100% certain is to find either a known refractor or known non-refractor and compare them to your cards. The difference is usually pretty easy to see.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I just look for the word "REFRACTOR". Sometimes it is hard for me to tell by looking at single cards.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

[Image: 220px-Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png]
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

i bought a 2011 freddy freeman bowman chrome refractor but on the back there is nothing saying refractor or r?
its a refractor it have the rainbow look when the light hits it, did they forget to put refractor on the back of the card?

(05-30-2012, 09:18 PM)Ajtanner88 Wrote: i bought a 2011 freddy freeman bowman chrome refractor but on the back there is nothing saying refractor or r?
its a refractor it have the rainbow look when the light hits it, did they forget to put refractor on the back of the card?
for whatever reason they didnt put refractor on the back on some of the recent sets. it is sometimes tough for me to tell without the right lighting
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]

(05-30-2012, 02:20 PM)oneofakindcards Wrote: [Image: 220px-Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png]
Now that is good!
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

as far as value one is not worth a whole lot more than the other except this year where they were numbered to /500 and mostly found in hobby boxes.

Generally though a base veteran card might go for $.40-$.50 and the refractor might get you $1.00-$1.25

(05-31-2012, 10:44 AM)chevy man 22 Wrote: as far as value one is not worth a whole lot more than the other except this year where they were numbered to /500 and mostly found in hobby boxes.

Generally though a base veteran card might go for $.40-$.50 and the refractor might get you $1.00-$1.25
depends on the set and year. 90's refractors can have huge bv's - (over 100 each)