`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have SGC 98 Jeter, how irrelevant is SGC?

RE: Have SGC 98 Jeter, how irrelevant is SGC?
I've only ever bought one SGC card and it is probably my last. Like everyone else has stated, it is completely loose inside the holder. Which has already damaged the card I can tell.

Then, I just bought a PSA card last week and the card inside it is just as loose! And people say that send their cards to PSA for "protection".... sure.
It seems to me that a PSA case would just snap in half if you drop it in the floor. I may be wrong but it just seems flimsy to me.

The only pet peeve that I have with Beckett is that a couple of cards from my last order returned with crumbs inside the slabs. [They grade cards while they are having lunch!? Really??] But anyway, besides that and one miss-label I've never had any further problems with Beckett.

I would be nearly impossible to convince me to grade with PSA or SGC.

This is the first I have heard of cards being loose in a sgc holder. They do have those inserts that are supposed to "snug" against the card. I have been disappointed with the way Beckett has handled their business and just sent a test batch of cards over to SGC to get graded. I haven't cracked out any of my Beckett cards as of yet. We shall see what kind of grades/service I get from them.

PSA on the other hand, I have seen/handled many that rattle inside the case. I don't like their cases or flips. I think SGC cases present the best, but Beckett still has the best in regards to bullet proof protection. Beckett's flips drive me crazy with being different colors and the whole BVG/BGS thing. Don't they know card collectors are OCD and want all of their graded cases to look the same. Wink

(05-28-2012, 11:20 AM)scottishpunk Wrote: Don't they know card collectors are OCD and want all of their graded cases to look the same. Wink
I'm glad that Beckett has the different color labels. At the start, BVG had colored labels for 7, 7.5 & 8.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(05-26-2012, 01:07 PM)flygonfrank Wrote: I've only ever bought one SGC card and it is probably my last. Like everyone else has stated, it is completely loose inside the holder. Which has already damaged the card I can tell.

Then, I just bought a PSA card last week and the card inside it is just as loose! And people say that send their cards to PSA for "protection".... sure.
It seems to me that a PSA case would just snap in half if you drop it in the floor. I may be wrong but it just seems flimsy to me.

The only pet peeve that I have with Beckett is that a couple of cards from my last order returned with crumbs inside the slabs. [They grade cards while they are having lunch!? Really??] But anyway, besides that and one miss-label I've never had any further problems with Beckett.

I would be nearly impossible to convince me to grade with PSA or SGC.
I have not had a PSA case crack on me yet although I have had a number of BGS cases crack - they are thicker but I don't think they are any more protective. As far as crumbs if you look at the meet the BGS team webpage you can tell they are bunch of slobs.

You can argue which holder is most aesthetically pleasing or grades better. Those are subjective. I don't think you can argue that the Beckett holder doesn't have the most protection. The inner sleeve means the card doesn't move, the plastic is thicker, and it has some UV protection built in. SGC and PSA may be "good enough", but definately less protection. Just from experience cracking each out, Beckett's holder is a heck of lot more work and results in a bigger mess of cracked plasic pieces.

(06-06-2012, 03:28 PM)scottishpunk Wrote: Beckett's holder is a heck of lot more work and results in a bigger mess of cracked plasic pieces.
I 100% agree that Beckett's holder is the strongest out of all. However:
[Image: IMG-1.jpg]

Additionally, what do some of you do with your cards that causes them to be damaged in the first place in the slabs? Use them as the "ball" in a game of football? If I sat there and shook the heck out of my slabs, sure there will be damage but I can't for the life of me imagine why I would sit there and do that anyway unless it's to make some sort of "point". Heck, shake the BGS slab hard enough and the card moves in the inner sleeve as well.

Hence, the "good enough" comment. I don't disagree that 99.9% of the time the card is stored in a box and will be fine. However, the handful of PSA cards that I have owned all moved so much that by just handing the card to somebody , you can feel it move a little. Doesn't present a feeling of trust inside the holder at all.

(06-07-2012, 07:29 AM)scottishpunk Wrote: Hence, the "good enough" comment. I don't disagree that 99.9% of the time the card is stored in a box and will be fine. However, the handful of PSA cards that I have owned all moved so much that by just handing the card to somebody , you can feel it move a little. Doesn't present a feeling of trust inside the holder at all.
This is exactly what I was referring to when I posted my previous post.
The same goes for my only SGC card.

Quote:Additionally, what do some of you do with your cards that causes them to be damaged in the first place in the slabs? Use them as the "ball" in a game of football? If I sat there and shook the heck out of my slabs, sure there will be damage but I can't for the life of me imagine why I would sit there and do that anyway unless it's to make some sort of "point". Heck, shake the BGS slab hard enough and the card moves in the inner sleeve as well.

I was not referring to this at all, I simply received the card from eBay and simply removing it from the envelope made it rattle around. So either it happened in shipping, (which I doubt it. because the case looks brand new,) or PSA / SGC did not secure / seal the slab very well.