`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Patrick Roy Rookie

RE: Patrick Roy Rookie
Dunno if it's case closed on this one or not, but I do want to point out that (at least in hockey) Topps and OPC ran very similar products side by side back in the day.

1986-87 O-Pee-Chee #53 Patrick Roy RC !
1986-87 Topps #53 Patrick Roy RC
One of those books for $50 more than the other.

It might seem dumb or possibly insulting, but I would honestly double-check which set your cards-in-hand belong to.
Both cards are aboslutely identical except the company logos. So at a glance, and especially if you aren't familiar with hockey, and especially if you aren't familiar with vintage hockey it could be very easy to assume one or the other incorrectly.

I dunno about you but I never look at the company logo when Im thumbing through cards (unless that is the distinguishing factor I'm looking for)

Hope this helps,
Adam

(05-21-2012, 01:12 AM)kr0n420 Wrote: Dunno if it's case closed on this one or not, but I do want to point out that (at least in hockey) Topps and OPC ran very similar products side by side back in the day.

1986-87 O-Pee-Chee #53 Patrick Roy RC !
1986-87 Topps #53 Patrick Roy RC
One of those books for $50 more than the other.

It might seem dumb or possibly insulting, but I would honestly double-check which set your cards-in-hand belong to.
Both cards are aboslutely identical except the company logos. So at a glance, and especially if you aren't familiar with hockey, and especially if you aren't familiar with vintage hockey it could be very easy to assume one or the other incorrectly.

I dunno about you but I never look at the company logo when Im thumbing through cards (unless that is the distinguishing factor I'm looking for)

Hope this helps,
Adam
1986-87 is not vintage.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

yes, I have made sure that it is in fact O-pee-chee and even the Topps looks like it would have the RC after the name, just not the explanation mark when you pull up the serial number on this website?

It was a loose use of the word, it's "old". It's before jersey/auto cards and whatnot dominated packs/boxes. Before "serial #'d" was a category in your Photobucket. The card mentioned is from a different era of the card world, that's good enough for me.
I just kinda slap that term on anything over 20 years old.

I also don't care whatsoever about "vintage" cards, it's not my thing, leading to a lack of knowledge.
I'm also only 28.

After some extremely brief Googling, apparently "vintage" in the card world is used for anything from 1979 and earlier, as of 2011. So anything 32 years old+ is vintage. Seems awkward to me, maybe 1979 was an industry changing year or something. Again, I dislike vintage, therefore I don't know it.

(05-21-2012, 04:48 PM)kr0n420 Wrote: After some extremely brief Googling, apparently "vintage" in the card world is used for anything from 1979 and earlier, as of 2011. So anything 32 years old+ is vintage. Seems awkward to me, maybe 1979 was an industry changing year or something. Again, I dislike vintage, therefore I don't know it.
You're close. Actually, for grading purposes, vintage is cards that are 1980 and older. I just thought of an easier way to think about it. Vintage is Pre-1981.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!