`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading Headaches

Trading Headaches
I am curious if anyone else has run into this. I send trade offers every once and while to people who are after cards I have. I add cards to match the same BV as what they are after. However no one ever seems to think that is acceptable. They think their Kobe or Jordan should garner them more cards even though the BV is no higher than what they are after from me. I think the last 5 trade offers I have had have fallen victim to this. I find it very frustrating and feel like I am just spinning my wheels here. I have never once sent a trade offer that wasn't requested by someone else. If you are interested in my cards and tell me to check you, then don't decline my offer when the value is the same. iIf you are overly attached to certain cards then do not mark them for trade. I promise you no one is going to send you an offer for twice the value to make it "worth your while". *rant off*

P.S. A good part of my frustration is spending 30 minutes going through your 5000+ cards to find the one or two that I can use just to have you say no when you are the one who initiated the trade in the first place.

RE: Trading Headaches
Beckett values are flawed. It's much better to go by sale value (i.e. eBay completed sales prices). After all, a Jordan or Kobe card is likely to sell for much more than 5 cards equalling the same Beckett value as the Kobe or Jordan.

(05-13-2012, 03:54 AM)will23c1982 Wrote: It's much better to go by sale value (i.e. eBay completed sales prices). After all, a Jordan or Kobe card is likely to sell for much more than 5 cards equalling the same Beckett value as the Kobe or Jordan.
I guess that isn't trading to me. I might as well just buy the card then.

sometimes its just not easy to trade, no matter who you are dealing with. there are all kinds of variables that can make a trade not go smoothe. the main thing is the trade has to be "fair", but that can mean different things to different people. unless you are trading a bunch of base or low end cards, take the time to look at completed listings on ebay, while some of those values can be flawed, if there are several sales, you can make a baseline of what the value would be.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

Trading to me is if I have something you want and you have something I want, lets do the trade. Now that doesn't mean I am going to offer you a Keith Van Horn insert you need for a Jordan rookie. But if the BV is only $0 - $5 apart don't come at me like I am trying to rip you off.

That's the great and bad thing about trading. Two people may have cards each other need, and they may be relatively close in value (combined). However, say you have 4-5 cards I need that equal the same value as a $50 card I have. I could trade that for you and it feels like I came out even because I got rid of one, got back 4-5, and the value is pretty much the same. And say they're PC, so I don't care about the sell value that much. However, I could hold onto that card and possibly trade it for an equal value card (patch, AU, low serial number, etc.) where it's a one for one, or maybe even a one for two. Value isn't the only factor that takes place in trading. Is it PC? Can you possibly get something better? Are you burning to let go of the card you have or can you wait. Don't take the declination of trades personally, take it like a business. We all care about our collections and we want to get the best we can for them. For some it's quantity, for some it's quality, sometimes it depends on what you're giving up and getting. There should be no hard feelings in trading. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Yeah this was a hard concept for me to accept too. Personally I agree with you in that I always traded equal bv for equal bv. I think the big downfall is that a lot of people don't do trades to build their personal collections. From my experiences traders that involve sell value get the cards to sell. They aren't looking to keep the cards. For some this hobby isn't a hobby and more of a way to make money

When I trade I look to build my pc so I dont worry about sell value. With that being said I have began to understand why someone wouldnt want to trade a 100 dollar Jordan for a 100 dollar say kg card when the values of sales would be very lopsided.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(05-13-2012, 06:39 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: Yeah this was a hard concept for me to accept too. Personally I agree with you in that I always traded equal bv for equal bv. I think the big downfall is that a lot of people don't do trades to build their personal collections. From my experiences traders that involve sell value get the cards to sell. They aren't looking to keep the cards. For some this hobby isn't a hobby and more of a way to make money

When I trade I look to build my pc so I dont worry about sell value. With that being said I have began to understand why someone wouldnt want to trade a 100 dollar Jordan for a 100 dollar say kg card when the values of sales would be very lopsided.
Took me a while to piece that together too. I've made a ton of trades for PC stuff on here. In all honesty the only trades I've done have been either to boost my PC or help others w/ theirs in exchange for other bait sometimes.

Sell values and book values are wildly different though, to be sure. I think the absentee traders are the most frustrating to me personally. I hate trades that sit in limbo for months, I can't handle starting something and not finishing it! Maybe I have a problem lol.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

Months? You have more patience than me. It doesn't hardly take any time to look at a trade and decide if it works for you. I get agitated when it has been a week and there is no response and the person posts on the forum nearly every day. It makes me feel like I'm being ignored.

some good points being brought out in this thread, and again i will comment on jeep's post about the bv being 5 apart and the other person acting like they are getting ripped off. you can take 2 cards, the first is a rc auto that books for 30 and is selling consistently for 25-30, and you can take a gu's card that books for 25 but sells consistently for 5-10. why would someone want to do that trade? yeah there is only a 5 bv difference but in reality, true value, there is a $20 difference, and we all know that $20 can go a long way in singles. like xstream said, dont take things personal, trading can be frustrating sometimes but that makes completing trades all the more better. just take into account, that usually, if you or the other trader is trading something down (trading one card for several cards) usually the person that is trading the one card should get more value since they are taking multiple cards (alot of people wont do this, because, as xstream said, you can take that one card and trade it for a nicer auto or patch vs 4 inserts), and always check what cards are selling for, it will help you and the other trader out.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]