`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
BVG Graded cards valued less than ungraded of same condition??

BVG Graded cards valued less than ungraded of same condition??
How is it that many cards are actually worth less in value (according to Beckett OPG) than they are as raw cards? That makes no sense to me. Typically this happens on older cards, and happens on lower grades, but how a card deemed ExMt (for example) can be wroth more than a card that has been graded as such, simply does not make sense to me. Can someone explain how, at the very least, they wouldn't be equal in value?

RE: BVG Graded cards valued less than ungraded of same condition??
Good question. I've noticed this too and would like to hear the answer

I guess the answer would have to be that Beckett does not set the value for any particular card whether graded or not. The value listed in Beckett is supposed to be an indication of what that particuar card is selling for out in the various markets. So I guess it is possible that raw cards that are ExMt can be selling for more than graded cards actually graded ExMt.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

That sounds plausible... definately!!!
(05-07-2012, 03:03 PM)dmasci Wrote: I guess the answer would have to be that Beckett does not set the value for any particular card whether graded or not. The value listed in Beckett is supposed to be an indication of what that particuar card is selling for out in the various markets. So I guess it is possible that raw cards that are ExMt can be selling for more than graded cards actually graded ExMt.

(05-07-2012, 03:03 PM)dmasci Wrote: I guess the answer would have to be that Beckett does not set the value for any particular card whether graded or not. The value listed in Beckett is supposed to be an indication of what that particuar card is selling for out in the various markets. So I guess it is possible that raw cards that are ExMt can be selling for more than graded cards actually graded ExMt.
I agree with this in theory, and would have to do some research to see if it holds true, but I honestly don't think that much thought is going into the graded prices. I think it's just a simple formula, that is not representative of selling prices, but rather just a percentage of what Beckett has listed the raw card price at. I really can't imagine a raw card ever selling for more than a graded card of the same quality, provided the seller has given an accurate grade to the card, which intentional or not, is probably not very likely. If nothing else, I would think graded cards of any condition would be worth more, based simply on the guarantee of authenticity and condition that a card graded by any reputable company offers.

I'm going to do a little research and post my findings.

Granted, this is based on a VERY small segment of the population that I've ever run into but I think there are many more collectors out there that prefer raw than they do graded. Get into a mid-grade/collector grade vintage card especially, and the demand for a graded version is likely going to drop even more significantly.

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if people purchase raw thinking that it will grade higher so the pay a little more for the gamble. I doubt that applies to many people at all but I'm sure they are out there.

A lot of it all depends on the card issue as well.

(05-08-2012, 08:01 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Granted, this is based on a VERY small segment of the population that I've ever run into but I think there are many more collectors out there that prefer raw than they do graded. Get into a mid-grade/collector grade vintage card especially, and the demand for a graded version is likely going to drop even more significantly.

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if people purchase raw thinking that it will grade higher so the pay a little more for the gamble. I doubt that applies to many people at all but I'm sure they are out there.

A lot of it all depends on the card issue as well.
Good points.

OK, so I did a little research, and used a 1967 Topps Mickey Mantle as the target card. I chose it simply because its vintage, but not rare, commonly sold, and would provide a decent sample pool. For graded cards i used BVG and PSA, and no half-graded cards, and for the raw cards, I only used sales which had the dealer/seller grade in the title.

Categories listed are:
Beckett Graded Value, Beckett Raw Value, Graded Avg Sales $$, Raw Avg Sales $$$ ... () = number of sales found

8 - $600 $525 $382 (1) $305 (1)
7 - 275 350 274 (3) n/a
6 - 175 210 143 (5) 118 (4)
5 - 150 140 125 (3) 85 (2)
4 - 100 105 110 (2) 83 (6)

So as you can see, even when the card is of a low grade, the graded cards sell much higher than raw cards. So the fact that starting around 5 (Ex) for most cards with a graded price listed, that Beckett lists a higher value for the raw cards is not based on any kind of factual real world data, just some arbitrary algorithm for a certain set of cards, or date range of cards. Graded cards are worth more, period. The price guide should reflect this.

It seems to me as though Beckett is stepping into graded card pricing without very much past collected information on prices. Ive checked their listings with what EBAY sells the cards for and they are pretty far off on a LOT of cards! I think the prices that are in this first issue will look ridiculous when comparing it with a future issue say three years down the road. These first issue prices are just a throw up which needs to be filled in with a lot of working hours scouring auctions and sales all along the web. I just hope they get more detail in the 80's and 90's years...I was about as disappointed as Ive ever been in my life I think when I saw that they stopped the card by card listings at 1980! I think they need to separate the sports up like the regular becketts do. I would really like to see pricing for commons, stars, semi stars and the like as well. I think all this is the reason they are saying what theyre saying. Theyre covering their asses, yknow? Because, if a raw card is sold as "Mint" and the "promise" that it will grade high, people will pay more than what it might really grade out to most of the time. I think the prices Beckett are referring to are the ones in the guide they just released and im sure they are well aware these prices are going to change drastically from what they are now up until they stabilize at what they are really worth (what people are willing to pay for them)
Wanted: any 1989 Upper Deck cards graded 9.5 across the board or better.

Beckett has needed to do quality check on the OPG for quite some time. There are way too many inconsistencies like graded cards pricing lower, modern cards in the junk category pricing too high, no pricing at all, or simply no record of certain cards. Personal to my own collecting, I've found vintage Topps Venezuelan and O Pee Chee prices in OPG consistently below actual market value, mostly raw since few have graded pricing. There are a number of pre-war issues where I've found this to be true as well. Of course, this can work in one's favor if a card is priced based on book and not market.

Just a couple of years ago the Beckett Graded Card Collector issue (paper) consistently listed all graded cards at a higher value, which leads me to believe that the OPG is lacking consistency checks to match the printed version. Personally, I would expect graded vintage cards to price higher since 99% of the time the cardboard has been successfully inspected under black light and 10X magnification for stains, indentations, marks, small creases, doctoring and trimming, which leads to the card's stated condition/grade and supports its value as a collectible asset.

I do agree with what RiceLynnEvans75 stated and I had that very conversation with the owner of my LCS just last week. Some raw card collectors or buyers see graded cards much differently and in many eyes, graded cards diminish the value because it doesn't fit their collecting goals. In his words, he has many customers who feel grading "ruins the card". Personally, I prefer graded cards but there are certain cards I want only in their natural raw state as well.

Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos