`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Top Rookie cards that have greatest chance to appreciate in value

RE: Top Rookie cards that have greatest chance to appreciate in value
I was thinking more along the line of buying future hall of fame rookie cards in grades 9 or 10 that have a low print. For example I purchased a 93 Pinnacle derek jeter psa 10. I know I paid up for it, but I'm thinking once he gets elected that will escalate his prices in the coming years. And it being a 10 makes it rare in itself. What do you guys think?

I was also thinking about getting a few ripkens psa 9 or 10. Can you guys think of any others I should look at?

I'm new to this game and appreciate any opinions.

(04-30-2012, 12:04 PM)chester2002 Wrote: None of them really, rookie pricing is so inflated from the start that they have very little room to move. Unless of course some total no name turns into Pujols , then of course the price will go up.

With the scouting and information available these days the hype begins so early. A lot of the "value" is based on hype when it comes to rookies. When the card goes down in value it is usually because the hype subsides or the performance on the field actually starts to come into play.

Prospecting is a tough and expensive art these days in this hobby.
The prospecting 'game' is front-loaded - meaning if you don't cash in early you're almost never going to cashing in. The fact that its about minor league players and not major league players only emphasizes this fact.

But if I had to guess where the greatest profit lies, it would be with a player's first card as a major league player, not his first as a minor league player because people - for better or for worse - really don't care about the minor leagues.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(04-30-2012, 08:28 PM)clarklsn2001 Wrote: I was thinking more along the line of buying future hall of fame rookie cards in grades 9 or 10 that have a low print. For example I purchased a 93 Pinnacle derek jeter psa 10. I know I paid up for it, but I'm thinking once he gets elected that will escalate his prices in the coming years. And it being a 10 makes it rare in itself. What do you guys think?

I was also thinking about getting a few ripkens psa 9 or 10. Can you guys think of any others I should look at?

hof bumps are negligible in most cases, but especially for players like jeter who already have a high collectibility focus

Imo I just see investor interest for high graded cards in the future because everyone in their mind is trying to get out of the dollar and into an asset. Just something to think about.

It is hard to say. I can say Brennon Boesch was a common then he was hunted last year.
Ubaldo, you couldnt give his cards away then here is is collectors are looking for him
Most recent is Lucus Duda and Matt Carpenter to some extent. Now you need to realize cards are common then shoot up and become base again. It all depends on the player on and off the field.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(04-30-2012, 08:28 PM)clarklsn2001 Wrote: I was thinking more along the line of buying future hall of fame rookie cards in grades 9 or 10 that have a low print. For example I purchased a 93 Pinnacle derek jeter psa 10. I know I paid up for it, but I'm thinking once he gets elected that will escalate his prices in the coming years. And it being a 10 makes it rare in itself. What do you guys think?

Problem with that is even though it's Jeter and a Yankee there were so many of them produced. Value all comes down to how many were made and how many survived in mint condition.

By the time Jeter came along everyone had started handling their cards with care slipping them straight from packs into penny sleeves then into a top loader and grading was just being introduced into the hobby.

IMO nothing later than 1984 or 1985 is going to ever be worth more in the future than it is now. You want value and future value you need to focus on Vintage mid 70's and earlier.

Like was said though maybe you can catch lightening in a bottle by identifying some prospects that were hot when they were drafted but for whatever reason were forgotten by the majority of the collecting community and then maybe buy some sealed boxes with their Rc's and stash them away. I generally have a 5 year rule in that if someone hasn't made it to the big leagues within 5 years then they probably aren't going to the way teams like to fast track guys now days and if they do they likely won't make a huge impact.

(04-30-2012, 11:15 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: Problem with that is even though it's Jeter and a Yankee there were so many of them produced. Value all comes down to how many were made and how many survived in mint condition.

By the time Jeter came along everyone had started handling their cards with care slipping them straight from packs into penny sleeves then into a top loader and grading was just being introduced into the hobby.

IMO nothing later than 1984 or 1985 is going to ever be worth more in the future than it is now. You want value and future value you need to focus on Vintage mid 70's and earlier.

Like was said though maybe you can catch lightening in a bottle by identifying some prospects that were hot when they were drafted but for whatever reason were forgotten by the majority of the collecting community and then maybe buy some sealed boxes with their Rc's and stash them away. I generally have a 5 year rule in that if someone hasn't made it to the big leagues within 5 years then they probably aren't going to the way teams like to fast track guys now days and if they do they likely won't make a huge impact.
I am going to disagree with you as I have seen many 1970's cards that looked mint I own quite a few of them as well so some how they were protected but they were mass produced as well. Grades will play a big factor in time but then in the 90's was the decade of the inserts and alot of people are looking for those. I was looking and recently seen the 1992 Diamond King 5x7 Jumbo of will clack sold for $1500.00. Some of these cards like this brings a crazy value for those 90's cards you don't think much of, my point is you have different people collecting different things. Some love the vintage, some player collect, some collect prospects, and some set collect. Some of us collect for fun while others collect to try to make a quick buck. Time will tell what people will think about the year 2000 and on. My guess is they won't have quite the value of the original 90's insert cards as the 90's basically started the inserts. If you look Game used have gotten played out as you have stars who Game used cards list for $8.00 while back in the late 90's and early 2000 they have a higher value. The on card Auto's will have a higher value than the sticker Auto's. What Sweet Spot did was original with the Auto on a baseball and a bat on a card. Those will hold a nice value in the long run as well. But whatever you decide good luck but I would rather buy ungraded and get the cards graded myself you just have to judge the card really tough and hope you can pull a few Mint cards.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

(04-30-2012, 11:15 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: Problem with that is even though it's Jeter and a Yankee there were so many of them produced. Value all comes down to how many were made and how many survived in mint condition

I will also have to disagree. Value comes down to supply and demand. Before the whole world started watching Jeter's chase for 3000 hits you could get a BGS or PSA 9 for under $100. Now the going rate is $200 and up. If he keeps up this pace and somehow wins MVP I would expect demand to tick up a bit. As he approaches 3500 hits and then Tris Speaker for #5 all time, I would expect demand to go up.

Look at other players such as Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, and Mark Teixeira, all who have a legitimate shot at 500 HRs and no PED cloud hanging over them. As they approach milestones, their cards will go up. It may just be 1 or 2 of their rookies, but they will go up as people realize, holy crap, this guy might be in the HOF one day.

Look at Barry Larkin. Who was chasing his rookies a year ago? Now a BGS 9.5 or PSA 10 routinely goes for $25+ with a high sell through rate.

I'm done disagreeing now.

I would say Mickey Mantle rookie, prices keep going up for 50's rookies.

(05-01-2012, 03:37 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: I would say Mickey Mantle rookie, prices keep going up for 50's rookies.
That bubbles gonna pop once all the retired baby boomers die off.
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-