`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After My near heart attack... advice?

After My near heart attack... advice?
So I am thinking of sending in these two michael phelps auto for grading.. As one that was graded a 9.5 just sold for 1100 bucks and even if they come in at a 9 they would bring close to 600.

I almost had a heart attack when I was taking them out of their magnetic "graveyards" to put them in penny sleeves and top loaders. That's right... both stuck to the case. Holy &^%$ . WTF man, here i think I am protecting them and thank God I got them out when I did because they did come off.. although i have a few concerns now.. take a look and tell me what you think. Here are my questions...

1) first card need to be cleaned on the surface, looks like a finger print next to the signature, What can I use to clean it?
2) Base on what you see any ideas of what they may grade? I have never graded a card before so I am totally unsure of what to expect although if you all think i am smoking a pipedream if I am thinking i can at least get a 9 then i would rather leave them ungraded. Right now they are just in my PC anyway. so here they are.

1st one, I think the better of the 2, although need to clean the surface of a finger print

[Image: michaelphelps_0001.jpg]
[Image: michaelphelps_0002.jpg]

2nd one I pulled back in the day, seems a little weaker on the corners to me

[Image: phelps2_0001.jpg]
[Image: phelpsback3.jpg]

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions

RE: After My near heart attack... advice?
Don't grade the top one. Too many white edges. Same with the second one. 8.5 at best.
Collecting Jimmer Fredette.

Well to clean the surface, take a microfiber cloth and clean gently. As for grades, both have some chipping issues. 8.5's and maybe you'll squeak out a 9 for the first one tops.
Eddie George Super Collector

I can use one bad!
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

(04-23-2012, 10:35 PM)philly eagle in az Wrote: Don't grade the top one. Too many white edges. Same with the second one. 8.5 at best.
Yeah that is what I was afraid of... Looking at it with the naked eye, other than the slight chipping on the lower left on the back, really can't see much white, but when u scan and zoom... Ouch really shows.. Man these cards were tough to keep from chipping. Think there is only one 9.5 in existence.
(04-23-2012, 10:36 PM)ZeroDave Wrote: Well to clean the surface, take a microfiber cloth and clean gently. As for grades, both have some chipping issues. 8.5's and maybe you'll squeak out a 9 for the first one tops.
If I squeak out a 9 I would be happy, only one 9.5 in existence and few 9's. These were a ***** to keep from chipping. pulled 2 but wasn't as careful as I should have been. Sold one then picked the top one off the bay a few years back thinking it looked pretty good. Thanks for the thoughts
(04-23-2012, 10:41 PM)chads-cards Wrote: I can use one bad!
Haha. Reason I was thinking of grading I was talking to my wife about wanting a bit of cash real quick. Contemplated breaking up my baby and selling the parts.. Then I realized I would have to sell my Colberts real cheap. Lol. Couldn't do it. Smile

They both look nice, the edges are definitely going to be the lowering factor for the overall grade. The front side centering is actually better on the 2nd one (only really noticeable by the amount of the "B" in Baltimore Ravens that is shown in the top left corner). I am not sure if the centering will play much into it though, as that is being nit-picky. Overall I think the edges will keep both cards at BGS 8.5. Good luck, if you do send them in for grading.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(04-23-2012, 10:50 PM)djohn Wrote: They both look nice, the edges are definitely going to be the lowering factor for the overall grade. The front side centering is actually better on the 2nd one (only really noticeable by the amount of the "B" in Baltimore Ravens that is shown in the top left corner). I am not sure if the centering will play much into it though, as that is being nit-picky. Overall I think the edges will keep both cards at BGS 8.5. Good luck, if you do send them in for grading.
I appreciate your insight, yeah, those fricking black edges are tough to keep from chipping. They are killing me. Smile I would be happy with 8.5's and if I can EEP out a 9. Hoo Rah!!!

I really dont see how they could even get 9's with the chipping on the edges. Its not just in one spot, its all the way around the card. I just dont see how they would give the edges a 9 out of 10. Which means if they dont, you have no chance at getting a 9 overall. What I would do though is send them in to get slabbed with the authentic label. That way they are forever protected.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

(04-23-2012, 11:15 PM)nthnoak Wrote: I really dont see how they could even get 9's with the chipping on the edges. Its not just in one spot, its all the way around the card. I just dont see how they would give the edges a 9 out of 10. Which means if they dont, you have no chance at getting a 9 overall. What I would do though is send them in to get slabbed with the authentic label. That way they are forever protected.
I think that is the consensus that more 8.5 or lower. Although I must say the chipping in person does not appear to be all around the card with the naked eye.. But when it is magnified it seems to show more so IDK. May give one a shot and leave the other untouched.
Ok so after further discussion think I may try just grade one. I was thinking the top one. Would anyone agree?

(04-23-2012, 11:45 PM)diablo71 Wrote: I think that is the consensus that more 8.5 or lower. Although I must say the chipping in person does not appear to be all around the card with the naked eye.. But when it is magnified it seems to show more so IDK. May give one a shot and leave the other untouched.
Ok so after further discussion think I may try just grade one. I was thinking the top one. Would anyone agree?
I would agree with the top one. I dont really think its in that much better condition than the bottom but the auto doesnt run off on that one. it would be bad to send in the bottom one and end up with like a 7.5 grade and an 8 auto lol.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/