`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master Set Question

Master Set Question
Just looking for tip and advice about building a master set. I am kind of kicking around the idea of building one. I know I have seen some members here working on them and do you guys buys a bunch of boxes to get started then hunt down singles or is there an easier/cosr effective way?
Thanks for the info
Current projects:
2014 Topps Heritage
2012 Gypsy Queen master set
Super Bowl Winning QB autos
1965 Topps baseball[Image: fellerryanben_zpse6968d67.jpg]

RE: Master Set Question
I never tried putting sets together till I found this site. I think the best way to do it is to buy one box, maybe two and then trade for the rest on here. I've only been on this site since January and I have completed one set, and am about 13 or 14 cards from completing the 2012 Heritage set. This makes the hobby much more fun lol.
Oh by the way, I love the avatar! One of my favorite albums from the 90's.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

Yep, great way to do it, there's always someone around that's workng the same set. 3 months to A&G, get ready!
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

Also look for "lot" type auctions on the bay. People will bust boxes just for the hits then unload the base cards dirt cheap. That how I build most of my sets.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

(04-22-2012, 02:57 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: Also look for "lot" type auctions on the bay. People will bust boxes just for the hits then unload the base cards dirt cheap. That how I build most of my sets.
I was going to same the same. Once you get down to a few harder to find singles another good resource is COMC or checkoutmycards.com
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

Thats definitely the way to go, buy a few boxes (depending on set size, cards per box etc), trade here on Beckett or LCS if avail, Check Out My Cards and if youre still having trouble finding cards, SportLots.com or eBay.

Best of luck with w/e set you choose!
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

I've always been hazy on the definition of a 'master set.' Is it all cards produced for a specific set in one year (ie GU and autos included) or is it just the base set and the insert sets. For example, I have a 2008 Heritage set #1-720, plus 110 black backs, all New Age Performers, Then and Now, Baseball and News Flashbacks. Would that qualify as a master set, or would I need all the chromes as well? Whatever the answer, I'm calling what I have a master set.
[Image: 6045468b2.png]

86 of 100 2011 Topps RC's completed, excluding printing plates.
2 of 18 One of One's
1 Allen & Ginter Yellow Printing Plate

I would suggest retail if your main objective is to build sets rather then hits. I love heritage but i just cant find a good reason to spend 80-90 for a hobby box and get a $8 jersey card as my "hit" when all i really want is the base. As far as finding the stragglers, i get most of my base needs from my LCS for real cheap.
[Image: banner-2-1.jpg]

Thanks for all the opinions, I am leaning towards doing a master set of 2012 Gypsy Queen. I would like to get all the sets, parelles, GU, Auto execpt the 1/1. I bought 1 box so far so Im just kicking it around
Current projects:
2014 Topps Heritage
2012 Gypsy Queen master set
Super Bowl Winning QB autos
1965 Topps baseball[Image: fellerryanben_zpse6968d67.jpg]

I will usually buy several blasters and hangers at retail if it's a retail product then whatever I need to finish up I'll go to COMC and get them. Key is to be patient and not need to finish the set right away because the longer you wait the cheaper the commons will be. I've snagged commons for as low as $.06 before on there.

Another cool thing about them is once you buy a card it's yours and you can keep it in your inventory until you have all the cards you need then have them shipped at the same time. Saves big time on shipping costs.