`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUESTION: crossover PSA to BGS

RE: QUESTION: crossover PSA to BGS
(04-19-2012, 04:58 PM)giantfan270 Wrote: Yes, PSA is generally more lenient on is grading. But you can't just send PSA cards. They require a membership where BGS is available to the general public.
The fact that BGS is more strict, is what makes it the benchmark of the industry.
+1,000,000
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(04-19-2012, 04:58 PM)giantfan270 Wrote: The fact that BGS is more strict, is what makes it the benchmark of the industry.
Hmmmm, it would almost appear to me that the opposite is true especially with older cards. Where BVG may have graded hundreds of a particular card PSA has graded thousands and I have noticed that with older cards at least, a PSA 8 for example will sell for more than a BVG 8. I realize that this is a Beckett forum and there may be some bias :-), in fact as I've mentioned I am biased towards Beckett and my entire collection is BGS/BVG graded cards but mostly because it is a PC and I prefer the holder.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

(04-19-2012, 04:58 PM)giantfan270 Wrote: Yes, PSA is generally more lenient on is grading. But you can't just send PSA cards. They require a membership where BGS is available to the general public.
The fact that BGS is more strict, is what makes it the benchmark of the industry.
There has never been significant evidence to prove psa is more lenient then bgs. In fact a lot of people will argue the opposite.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(04-22-2012, 07:16 PM)sonnyday Wrote: There has never been significant evidence to prove psa is more lenient then bgs. In fact a lot of people will argue the opposite.
Who you and ricelynnevans75? PSA employees don't count.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(04-22-2012, 07:20 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Who you and ricelynnevans75? PSA employees don't count.
I cannot speak for ricelynnevans75, but I do value his thoughts on the highly debatable psa vs bgs. Fact is no one can prove one grader is tougher then the other. Many parties have tried, myself included. Many have provided evidence that psa is tougher. Many have provided evidence that bgs is tougher. Fact Is its a human judgement, and unless you are in the mind of that human, you are basically just making a fool of yourself and your knowledge of grading, by providing evidence for one reasoning but in the same breath not acknowledging that evidence exists to the contrary.
And I don't work for PSA, they can't afford me Smile but Joe Orlando and I do know each other.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(04-22-2012, 09:29 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I cannot speak for ricelynnevans75, but I do value his thoughts on the highly debatable psa vs bgs. Fact is no one can prove one grader is tougher then the other. Many parties have tried, myself included. Many have provided evidence that psa is tougher. Many have provided evidence that bgs is tougher. Fact Is its a human judgement, and unless you are in the mind of that human, you are basically just making a fool of yourself and your knowledge of grading, by providing evidence for one reasoning but in the same breath not acknowledging that evidence exists to the contrary.
And I don't work for PSA, they can't afford me Smile but Joe Orlando and I do know each other.
Although I don't think his remark deserved a reply at all; your reply pretty much sums up the fact that all grading is done by humans and depending who looks at your card and on what day will determine what grade you get. More than once I have send a card in had it graded only to break it out of the case send it back in and get a different grade...so it just depends.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

(04-22-2012, 07:20 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: Who you and ricelynnevans75? PSA employees don't count.
Wait, what? I'm a PSA employee now?

Can you point me to the direction of the post that I said one was more lenient than the other please? I know facts/proof/evidence tend to evade you but just this once would be nice.

(04-22-2012, 09:29 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I cannot speak for ricelynnevans75, but I do value his thoughts on the highly debatable psa vs bgs. Fact is no one can prove one grader is tougher then the other. Many parties have tried, myself included. Many have provided evidence that psa is tougher. Many have provided evidence that bgs is tougher. Fact Is its a human judgement, and unless you are in the mind of that human, you are basically just making a fool of yourself and your knowledge of grading, by providing evidence for one reasoning but in the same breath not acknowledging that evidence exists to the contrary.
My evidence is my experience. I have sent MANY PSA cards in to BGS for re-grade and not one came back with a higher grade than PSA. Meaning, PSA's grade was more lenient in every instance. ESPECIALLY WITH THE PSA 10'S !!!
2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

(04-24-2012, 08:08 AM)giantfan270 Wrote: My evidence is my experience. I have sent MANY PSA cards in to BGS for re-grade and not one came back with a higher grade than PSA. Meaning, PSA's grade was more lenient in every instance. ESPECIALLY WITH THE PSA 10'S !!!
Out of curiosity, did you pop them out of the slab first then send or send them in to BGS in the PSA slabs?

Additionally, you said that not one card came back higher. How many came back the same grade? If the grade was equal, does that then mean that BGS is lenient as well? Or does this only apply when it fits people's preference?

Further, if you send a card in to one company and it comes back one grade and another company gives it another grade, how do you know which one was correct? A grader (not the whole company because the whole company is not looking at the card) could possibly be more lenient giving it a grade a little higher than it deserves for various reasons (tired/good mood/hungover/great date the night before/etc). On the flip side, this also applies to a grader who is too stringent. They could give a card a lesser grade than it actually is. Is this good?

(04-24-2012, 08:15 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Out of curiosity, did you pop them out of the slab first then send or send them in to BGS in the PSA slabs?

Additionally, you said that not one card came back higher. How many came back the same grade? If the grade was equal, does that then mean that BGS is lenient as well? Or does this only apply when it fits people's preference?

Further, if you send a card in to one company and it comes back one grade and another company gives it another grade, how do you know which one was correct? A grader (not the whole company because the whole company is not looking at the card) could possibly be more lenient giving it a grade a little higher than it deserves for various reasons (tired/good mood/hungover/great date the night before/etc). On the flip side, this also applies to a grader who is too stringent. They could give a card a lesser grade than it actually is. Is this good?
Your 1st question:
both cracked and GCR.

2:
None have ever come back equal either so your insinuation doesn't hold water.

3:
I prefer BGS for various reasons. Slab included. To me, it's a higher quality product. I do believe it's like having a 4.0GPA at Columbia vs a 4.0GPA at Community College. Both 4.0's but which one is "better"? I'd prefer a degree from Columbia. Why? Because it Columbia. A Chevy will get you the same place as a Cadillac. Why is the Cadillac better? Same BGS vs PSA. It's just better. In my opinion of course.
2012 Beckett "Super Collector"