`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about price differences between OPG & magazine

RE: Question about price differences between OPG & magazine
I know and I don't understand it. Why even have a BV if we don't trade by BV? It just seems like having the OPG is a waste of money.

One of the only reasons I keep it is so I have have ORG. I've got probably 5,000 Rangers wants in my ORG and I don't have to have to redo those in a word processor document or something else, so I keep the OPG.

(04-16-2012, 02:19 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: Man, I have been trying to tell you this for a while. I post on most of your responses trying to explain this. Beckett is a guide and nothing more. It gives us an idea of the range of a cards sale. It's out of date the second it's printed. A card is subject to hype and inflation if a player is hot and subject to selling dirt cheap if a guy is at a low point or injured. Last season I was trying to grab Longoria cards.

The fact is no one wants to deal a $50 Hosmer that's selling for $40 for a $50 Kinsler that's selling for $18.

The truth of the matter is guys tend to use SV if they have the better card but BV if they want the better card. Just trying to be honest here.

Beckett just doesn't have the man power to update this site daily. The guides are out of date before they hit the shelf. This is why a new card selling for $40 may hit the books at $30. Beckett realizes the new will wear off as well. Sadly a lot of people do live by these guides but they are just that, a guide. They are great for general guide line trading but when faced with a hot card or rare card they can't be relied upon for accuracy. The market just swings to wildly.
(04-16-2012, 02:22 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I know and I don't understand it. Why even have a BV if we don't trade by BV? It just seems like having the OPG is a waste of money.

One of the only reasons I keep it is so I have have ORG. I've got probably 5,000 Rangers wants in my ORG and I don't have to have to redo those in a word processor document or something else, so I keep the OPG.
Well man we need a guide to give us reference points but cards get hot man. The OPG isn't worthless but it's not perfect either.

Why should a few guys at Beckett though decide the market? Shouldn't we the consumer decide the market? We are after all the buyers.

[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

(04-16-2012, 02:24 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: .

Why should a few guys at Beckett though decide the market? Shouldn't we the consumer decide the market? We are after all the buyers.
they dont

(04-16-2012, 02:34 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: they dont
If we live by a guide no matter how out of date, then they do.

(04-16-2012, 02:39 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: If we live by a guide no matter how out of date, then they do.
it isnt a couple guys that make up the book value. that is just patently not true.

the values are derived in numerous ways, including reports from brick and mortars stores, online sales, baseline prices from similar sets from previous years, price point of boxes from the manufacturer, etc etc etc etc

(04-16-2012, 02:41 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: it isnt a couple guys that make up the book value. that is just patently not true.

the values are derived in numerous ways, including reports from brick and mortars stores, online sales, baseline prices from similar sets from previous years, price point of boxes from the manufacturer, etc etc etc etc
Yes that's true but it's clearly obvious that they are constantly wayyy behind on making changes to the price guide to accurately reflect current trends and it's reasonable to infer they don't have enough manpower. And the amount of cards they need to price is constantly increasing.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(04-16-2012, 02:48 PM)iconms Wrote: Yes that's true but it's clearly obvious that they are constantly wayyy behind on making changes to the price guide to accurately reflect current trends and it's reasonable to infer they don't have enough manpower. And the amount of cards they need to price is constantly increasing.
i dont disagree with that, but to infer it's just a couple guys pulling it from their rump is silly. it's an old argument stated on these boards too many times

(04-16-2012, 02:50 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i dont disagree with that, but to infer it's just a couple guys pulling it from their rump is silly. it's an old argument stated on these boards too many times
I know - I've emailed with a couple of them on numerious occasions and they seem competent and pretty nice. Manpower is the real issue.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(04-16-2012, 02:50 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i dont disagree with that, but to infer it's just a couple guys pulling it from their rump is silly. it's an old argument stated on these boards too many times

Don't put words in mouth dude. You all have your two sense but if you wanna speak it get it right. I never said they pulled it from their rumps. What I said was why should a few decide. They go by market sales I know, but those change daily and they don't have the man power to keep up with daily change.

The idea of having a printed price guide is pretty antiquated anyway. They should just ditch the guides completely and stick with editorial and news content. It would keep those that rely on BV in print from drifting around with the wrong information.