`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are these legit graders?

Are these legit graders?
I was just curious if the following companies are legit in terms of grading/authenticating older cards, specifically the 1986 Star Michael Jordan Set 1-10:

CSA Cards

And

Sports Collectors Digest

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Curious if these companies are legit in terms of authenticating the older cards. Thanks!

[Image: Nick.jpg]

RE: Are these legit graders?
They are not as well known as PSA or BGS. They were popular back in the days when the grading and authentication frenzy was going on, but now only BGS and PSA are widely accepted and recognized as legit.

(04-14-2012, 12:49 AM)kct1 Wrote: They are not as well known as PSA or BGS. They were popular back in the days when the grading and authentication frenzy was going on, but now only BGS and PSA are widely accepted and recognized as legit.
I have two cards from each of these grading services of this set. Should I sell them and just replace with BGS or can I in any way assume/guarantee these cards are authentic? The one from Sports Collectors Digest has a lot of the same marks as the other cards I have from BGS. Any thougths? What would you do?

Why not send them to BGS for grading? I would mostly guarantee they are authentic. They might not be as well known these days but CSA has been around for 16 years.

I have about 45 graded cards from sports collectors digest. i think it is a good service and wouldnt see them authenticating a reprint. even the psa and bgs have slabbed fake, reprints as authentic. look in the baseball thread from a few days ago about a cal ripken psa graded minor league card. it was a blatant reprint/ fake and it was graded as a 9 mint.
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]

I've been collecting for 25+ years now and I highly recommend SGC, especially for older cards. They're not as expensive as PSA and BGS, but they have one of the strongest reputations among grading companies.

Thanks for the comments everyone about SGC. I would obviously prefer BGS, but sometimes cards graded by BGS go for a lot more. I got the SGC card for probably half of the price (if it were BGS). What about CSA? The CSA card looks legit, but who knows. Any thoughts?

Did you miss my post?

(04-14-2012, 05:51 PM)jeep1991 Wrote: Did you miss my post?
Yeah I did, sorry. I don't try to go for these graders but I got them for cheap so I figured it was worth a try. Thanks for the info

Yeah, if you don't like having them I would just send them to BGS for grading. That would be a better option than selling and trying to find BGS slabbed card. But I would guarantee them as being authentic as much as I would guarantee a BGS card.