Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collecting raw vintage

Collecting raw vintage
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering your thoughts and strategies on collecting raw vintage cards. I'm reentering collecting and actually have more money to buy than I did when I was collecting in my younger years, so I'm looking to go shopping for some of the classic cards I have always hoped to own..lol. Anyway, I know some will say buy graded only, but part of the thrill for me would be to find a card and then submit for grading myself as an act of preservation. Just part of the fun imo, knowing that I was the person to send it in to be slabbed. Where do you guys look, flea markets, swap meets, antique shops, hobby shops? Obviously ebay has a vast listing, but also a collection of less than reputable dealers. Just curious as a hobbyist. Thanks.

M

RE: Collecting raw vintage
I used to go to my local card shop (LCS) and the owner new I liked great condition vintage that weren't graded and he would let me know when he got some in. I would carefully check out the cards and decide what to buy based on condition. You can try flea markets and garage sales, but before you venture out make sure you really understand the different things to look for on a card to determine its grade. Also, try to learn the things to look for to tell if a card has been trimmed or altered. If you bring a small LED flashlight and a eye loop you might get some funny looks from sellers, but you will end up buying only the better grades in the end and definitely make out when all is said and done.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(04-05-2012, 10:16 AM)djohn Wrote: I used to go to my local card shop (LCS) and the owner new I liked great condition vintage that weren't graded and he would let me know when he got some in. I would carefully check out the cards and decide what to buy based on condition. You can try flea markets and garage sales, but before you venture out make sure you really understand the different things to look for on a card to determine its grade. Also, try to learn the things to look for to tell if a card has been trimmed or altered. If you bring a small LED flashlight and a eye loop you might get some funny looks from sellers, but you will end up buying only the better grades in the end and definitely make out when all is said and done.
Thanks for the advice. Do you ever buy off ebay or is it a good rule of thumb just to avoid that all together?

I think you can get great deals on Ebay buying ungraded vintage. The ungraded cards don't usually sell that high on Ebay. It is like anythig else you would buy on Ebay, only buy from good sellers and ask questions before you bid.
Need the following for my 1986-1995 Barry Larkin collection
(Currently have 477/479):

88 Score Samples #72
95 UD Electric Diamond Gold #405

Please send me a PM if you have any of these!
Interested in buying any other Larkin cards that I don't have as well!!

(04-05-2012, 10:16 AM)djohn Wrote: I used to go to my local card shop (LCS) and the owner new I liked great condition vintage that weren't graded and he would let me know when he got some in. I would carefully check out the cards and decide what to buy based on condition. You can try flea markets and garage sales, but before you venture out make sure you really understand the different things to look for on a card to determine its grade. Also, try to learn the things to look for to tell if a card has been trimmed or altered. If you bring a small LED flashlight and a eye loop you might get some funny looks from sellers, but you will end up buying only the better grades in the end and definitely make out when all is said and done.
what are some of the things to look for in vintage condition wise, other than the obvious--centering and altered.
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]

I would make sure that you do as much research on a card/set before you drop the money for it. There are a fair number of counterfeit vintage out there, mostly of key cards and sets but still out there nonetheless. If you learn the ins and outs of the set, you can help avoid certain issues.

Since you are just getting back into it, I would recommend buying vintage that is only graded (SGC/PSA/BVG) until you can develop a solid knowledge base that you don't need that assurance from a third party. That way, you'll know that you're not getting an altered or counterfeit card and can use those to study and learn from for future purchases.

Personally, I know of only two online dealers that I will purchase from raw. Otherwise, I only purchased raw if it was in person and graded online.

What era of vintage are you looking at getting into?