IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Buying wax or singles?

Buying wax or singles?
Guys,

Question for the night.

I know its a ton of fun to buy and bust wax, boxes, cases, etc.

Let's use 2012 Tribute as an example. Roughly $2200+ to buy a case.

Would you rather take your chances with that case or do you think you could use that $2200+ and buy almost all the cards or at least the good ones from the set once it comes out?

Thoughts? Which is a better strategy.

I guess it would just kill the fun out of busting wax but I still enjoy maildays!
[Image: gYJFXps.png]

RE: Buying wax or singles?
I ALWAYS say buy singles unless it's the "itch" to bust. I mean you could get like 8-10 pujols auto's for the price of that case lol
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

Yeah thats what I am thinking. Such a better proposition. I mean i love busting wax, but with youtube busts and being able to watch other people do it, makes up for it. I like the idea of taking that money and buying what you want. I think in the end, less BS commons and such a better collection.
[Image: gYJFXps.png]

(03-20-2012, 08:20 PM)cmurphy342 Wrote: Yeah thats what I am thinking. Such a better proposition. I mean i love busting wax, but with youtube busts and being able to watch other people do it, makes up for it. I like the idea of taking that money and buying what you want. I think in the end, less BS commons and such a better collection.
Exactly. I just realized last year that I have had such amazing luck with boxes. Out of the 80 boxes in my lifetime, I've pulled like 20 1/1's, a Blake Griffin auto, Peyton manning auto, a quad auto w/flacco and ryan, two adrian peterson auto's, eli manning, harper. And of course, this beauty.
[Image: SCAN0019-1.jpg]
I know I can't get lucky anymore, so now I can get awesome singles for the price of half a box.
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

Singles.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

I buy both because it's fun.

Spending money on boxes, could get such and such amount of singles, but then when only buying singles start to think if instead of buying these four singles I wanted I could have just gotten the one really expensive and perceived "better" one etc.

Do my best not to think in $$$ and just have fun.

I bought an embarassing amount of money worth of wax last year. I would have such an awesome pc if u spent that money on singles.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]
Question 
(03-20-2012, 09:10 PM)Krangry Wrote: I bought an embarassing amount of money worth of wax last year. I would have such an awesome pc if u spent that money on singles.
What?
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

I think it all comes down to why you collect, and what you're looking to get out of it. I'm in it because I like opening packs. I would get bored awfully quick if I just bought the singles I wanted to pick up. It might save me money, but collecting for me, is more about the journey than just rushing to the finish line.

All that said... if you're looking at high end, I think that largely goes out the window. I don't think I'd buy a $2200 case and hope for the best, but that's just me.

i always love to bust boxes/cases but in this case i would probably save and buy the set