`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physical Risk aside, would you confront a shill bidder?

RE: Physical Risk aside, would you confront a shill bidder?
Keep in mind these are little pieces of cardboard we're talking about. Perspective?
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]

(03-19-2012, 11:00 AM)bselje Wrote: Keep in mind these are little pieces of cardboard we're talking about. Perspective?
+1. Keep reporting his stuff to ebay if you want but like other people have said he's never going to stop. It's all a game anyway and if you get the card at or below the price you are targeting than it's always a win for you.
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

Too much testosterone gets people in trouble...

If you can handle yourself correctly in situations like this, then a "confrontation" is just a discussion. It doesn't have to escalate to the level you're all anticipating. You can meet with him at the shop, politely ask what happened on that auction, mention that it looks like shilling and that you didn't appreciate being taken advantage of. Where he takes it from there is all on him.

If you get all up in his face and start accusing him, then it's going to get ugly for both of you...very quickly.

Not sure I would have actually called a special meeting over an $11 shill, but it is what it is.

For the record, I have confronted a shiller before. There were two brothers here in Denver that used to bid on each others stuff all of the time (ft28 and mpekar know who I'm talking about). We'd call them on shilling and they'd say it was cheaper for them to buy from each other on ebay than in person. Given the prices they were inclined to ask, I actually wouldn't half doubt it. Unfortunately that same shilled card would be in the original brothers stack at the next show... It didn't change their behavior, but it didn't get violent when I mentioned it. It's all about your approach.

Less puffy chest, more brains.
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

This is absolutely crazy. Like bselje said, it's only cardboard!
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

(03-19-2012, 11:00 AM)bselje Wrote: Keep in mind these are little pieces of cardboard we're talking about. Perspective?
Exactly why I was stressing the hypothetical nature of such a "meeting."

uwash97 Wrote:+1. Keep reporting his stuff to ebay if you want but like other people have said he's never going to stop. It's all a game anyway and if you get the card at or below the price you are targeting than it's always a win for you.
Fair enough.

Ricky Williams 34 Wrote:For the record, I have confronted a shiller before. There were two brothers here in Denver that used to bid on each others stuff all of the time (ft28 and mpekar know who I'm talking about). We'd call them on shilling and they'd say it was cheaper for them to buy from each other on ebay than in person. Given the prices they were inclined to ask, I actually wouldn't half doubt it. Unfortunately that same shilled card would be in the original brothers stack at the next show... It didn't change their behavior, but it didn't get violent when I mentioned it. It's all about your approach.
Thanks for sharing your story. If I would have gone through with approaching the guy, it definitley would not be balls to the wall fury. I'm prone to panicking in those types of situations as it is. Hell it took me until I was 27 to finally get serious with a girl due to fear of rejection, to give you personality perspective on me. I'm not a confrontational guy. Like anyone the internet makes me a 6'10 body builder with words but in reality I'm just a guy.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

$11 cash is not just cardboard, just to clarify. But seriously, you can only be shilled if your willing to pay more for an item. I love to get cards for .99 too especially since I am a broke joke, but bid what you honestly want to pay and nothing more.
[Image: wavysig.jpg]

Cris Carter Collector 1660/2351
John Randle Collector 349/568
Pro Set Collector

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327...e%20Cards/

I see alot of people replying with it is just cardboard but it is obviously important cardboard to all of us or we wouldnt be members of a message board talking about it.
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]

There are lots of things people talk about on a message board. And very few (if any) are worth the consequences a physical confrontation would bring.

At least do us all a favor and post the sellers name so we can avoid their auctions. Me IDGAF I'd call him out as I keep it real and if he wants to scrap then so be it. I'm one never afraid to call someone out on BS

I agree post his name so all the members know to stay clear. if anything maybe it will hurt his sales a little.
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]