`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Process for submitting corrections/additions for cards not currently recognized.
03-18-2012, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2012 12:02 PM by odditycards.)
Exclamation Process for submitting corrections/additions for cards not currently recognized.
I would like to see some way of not only submitting information on missing sets and corrections, whether it would be for the Annual guide and/or OPG, but for also getting that information into such publications and availability. Like someone said in another post, there are a lot of us out here, and more lurking around, that have a wealth of information about certain sports, card sets, and player collections. Myself, I'm all basketball. I'm not talking about all of the broder cards that are out there, but cards that are from mainstream companies UD/Fleer/Topps/UDCC/Panini/etc.
I remember back in the day, Steve Taft provided a bunch of information to Beckett for oddball and regional sets. This information is great, and there is a lot more out there since that last update. Many of which Mr. Taft is unaware of. Whenever I try to get even mainstream type cards listed/corrected, I always get a reply as "...talk to Mr. Taft about it...and have him contact us..." I talk to Steve, and he knows nothing about it...so then now what Beckett??
You would think that with Panini taking over most of the Basketball, that Beckett might actually card to update some of the older Panini sets that have been omitted throughout the years that contain basketball players from the 70s-90s. Something as basic as the 1996-97 Panini NBA set, 1998-99 Panini NBA set...still have not been listed. Maybe a public relations database manager to take (and answer) our concerns about corrections that need to be made for say next years Annual publication (i.e. wrong photos, wrong product descriptions, wrong checklists entirely on a product, missing checklists, horrible out of order alphabetic listings, etc.).
Also, on the basketball end of things, with the NBA/basketball getting more and more of a global presence, there are other Int'l/regional sets that I believe also are important for collectors. I see beckett has listed in the past, Chinese basketball leuage sets, Australia, France, and Spain national sets. More and more Int'l players are coming from overseas, and even D-leauge players (and others) are playing on Int'l Teams! For example, the Argentina contingent (Manu, etc), XRC from Argentina nataional sets. Int'l Panini sets of the 70s/80s that were issued in multi-sports and/or Olympic themes, contain several key cards of Basketball players, HOF'ers, and Int'l superstars of the day. Some of these sets contain cards/stickers of HOF'ers that have -0- cards currently listed by Beckett.
Also, many times I know that the main card companies do not issue checklists and/or product information for "retail only" products. So the only way that these are going to get listed it seems, is to have those of us that buy/bust retail boxes to let you know what's out there (seems like no one listens).
Also, we have numerous "Player SuperCollectors" around here. I know for me, I have almost 300+ regular type cards (i.e. not broder) of Michael Jordan that I believe would qualify as "standard" cards that should be listed. I've noticed a little bit of a differenece last 2 years with Jordan singles being randomly listed. And I've also seen Beckett grade cards that are not even listed in the OPG.
And I'm sure that others collecting other sports have the same problems and issues with this. Would be nice to know what's going on. We're more than able and happy to help, we just would like to see some answers and results....Wealth of knowledge out here...hello...
Also, if you don't want to put pricing on them, that's fine...you do that anyway with a lot of sets due to scarcity, or just because (method to the madness?). But at least least them for checklists, organize, and player collector searches.
I belive that an update effort is greatly needed for such sets, corrections, and player collectors imput on "cards that are not in Beckett". Doing this will greatly help in providing player/team collectors with their goals of getting every card that is out there!

Well...there's my 2-cents and daily rant.

Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (10000+ auctions)
Photobucket http://s424.photobucket.com/user/odditycards/library
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2012, 02:27 AM
RE: Process for submitting corrections/additions for cards not currently recognized.
i second that!!! lol
03-19-2012, 06:53 PM
RE: Process for submitting corrections/additions for cards not currently recognized.
I think there is a lot of value to that idea. I am going to start a sticky post of all of the ideas going around so that when the time comes we can take a look at them and hopefully do something about them. We appreciate you taking the time to respond to these threads and your ideas will not be unheard.

Logan Fisher
Sr UI Designer
Beckett Media LLC
03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
this is an excellent idea, although it doesn't happen often I do run across cards that are marked with incorrect team, etc.

[Image: RoyalsBanner.png]
Royals Super Collector; PC's of Paul Splittorff, George Brett, Mike Sweeney, Billy Butler
Bucket - http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq329/chrisjgould/
03-24-2012, 02:59 AM
I have submitted 2 things that have been corrected and or added on. I have a few more but you need to have your stuff in order that means you just can't give them say one card of your favorite player and say why is this not listed. You need to aquire the full check list and showing photo proof also helps. Even if you only have a few cards from the set to show. I know I am working on quite a few sets I am tring to get on the database but it takes time sometimes.

Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 303 out of 304 99% complete.

1310/1922 1990's Jeter cards 68%

Photobucket link.
http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n614/chris19978_2/

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]
03-26-2012, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2012 02:16 AM by donbickle707.)
I just was entering my 2011 Plates and Patches Hakeem Nicks Base card (red variation) and noticed my card is #ed to 299 while the opg list the card #ed to 249... I guess people who get the cards #ed 250-299 dont really have that card? haha
actually all of them are I believe...

Looking to trade for Rey Maualuga, Attempting a Super Collection
174/457 = 38% (not including 1/1)
http://s970.photobucket.com/albums/ae187/donbickle707/

[Image: sig.png]
03-30-2012, 06:39 AM
I would like to see updates to the OPG on cards that were redemptions... or not produced/released...

i.e. 1) Which ones were never produced?
2) how many were actually released or were the extras (after expiration) used to replace cards not produced?
3) Let Beckett (paying) members update "notes" on cards. We were able to leave notes on Becketpedia, but the option is no longer there.. I liked being able to leave a note on what serial numbers I had & leave contact info saying I was looking for that card... This is good when it comes to low print runs.. so you know that somebody has it, so you can stop looking throughout the millions of pages on google. You also note if a serial numbered card was damaged & what serial number it is. It helps with updating BV or giving an idea on how many MINT cards are left out there to create an estimate price..
4) updating user prices, like before.. I know some people will create dummy prices & all that, which would not be good.. but most collectors use OPG as a guide, it's not written in stone.. they understand that users will submit bogus prices and/or transactions... Don't know how Beckett goes about updating their BV, but the main source is ebay... which most cases sells lower than BV.. does Beckett have a contract to get ebay's data? or is there a way to screen the 100's of thousands of monthly auctions & update OPG....?? getting a collection of user data (by paying users) is a good tool to use.
5) Recommend a monthly email or post regarding update of cards that had incorrect data.. this way others can see it & know it has been corrected.

NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*
04-06-2012, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2013 04:07 PM by chrisolds.)
Good stuff guys.

Let me say that we appreciate greatly submissions of data additions/corrections and pricing feedback. Without the help of collectors and dealers, there are just far too many (millions) of cards for our analyst staff to cover correctly 100%.

Our process starts with a checklist given to us from the card company which sometimes contains errors and/or omissions. Our price gathering and verification process finds many of these errors and omissions but not all of them, so the hobby community assists greatly in finding the rest of them.

I would suggest, for now, that you email directly each senior market analyst here at Beckett responsible for the sport in question. A better solution is needed but this is the best approach for now. You can also post them in the forums but it's much tougher for us to plow through hundreds of posts looking for those data changes.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions

Here are the key contacts:

Baseball, Basketball - bfleischer@beckett.com
Football, Hockey, Racing - dhitt@beckett.com
Non-sports, Tennis, Golf, MMA, Wrestling, Multisports - bhornbeck@beckett.com
07-21-2013, 10:25 PM
can we update the "key Contacts" since some have changed??

Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (10000+ auctions)
Photobucket http://s424.photobucket.com/user/odditycards/library
07-22-2013, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2013 04:08 PM by chrisolds.)
i know yanxchick is now the football and hockey editor:

SusanL@beckett.com

NOTE: And she doesn't handle database changes. What's above is accurate.

onedollardutch.blogspot.com