`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Separating Perforated Cards... Any suggestions?

Separating Perforated Cards... Any suggestions?
I have some cards in a book that I would like to remove and separate. They're perforated together, like most cards that come in magazines. Any suggestions on separating them? I've seen perforated cards graded and I would hate to hurt their grade potential by doing it wrong. I'm not even sure if the perforations are taken into account, but I thought I would ask first. Should I just carefully pull them apart the way they were designed? Or is there a preferred/better way?

Thanks...
[Image: OuM7E.png]

1997 Ultra PLATINUM - 81.4% Complete (285/350)

*Hundreds and hundreds of trades completed here and elsewhere. Ah, the days of trading in AOL chat rooms and leaving feedback on eBay... But sure, I'll send first. lol ... Really, I don't mind. Smile
Smile 
RE: Separating Perforated Cards... Any suggestions?
(03-17-2012, 09:42 PM)jessemerson Wrote: I have some cards in a book that I would like to remove and separate. They're perforated together, like most cards that come in magazines. Any suggestions on separating them? I've seen perforated cards graded and I would hate to hurt their grade potential by doing it wrong. I'm not even sure if the perforations are taken into account, but I thought I would ask first. Should I just carefully pull them apart the way they were designed? Or is there a preferred/better way?

Thanks...
This is interesting. Anyone out there for some help?
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

Probably more valuable intact and not seperated.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

(03-18-2012, 08:07 AM)newfiecomicguy1 Wrote: Probably more valuable intact and not seperated.
I've seen graded perforated cards, like Michelle Wie, that sell for a premium if it is graded high, like a 9. Not BGS but SGC...
Or equivalent to a BGS 9... Ugh, me not so good at graded cards and prices.

Thanks... I think the only way they can be graded is to separate them. The cards are 91-92 Skybox Mark & See. I don't plan on having them graded myself, but I would like the people who eventually end up owning them to have a decent shot at a good grade. Someone has a BGS 10 Jordan for sale with a asking price of...get ready for it...$1700. So anyway, they have decent potential, enough to make me ask anyway. Smile The more I think about it, the person who got a 10 probably didn't do anything special to separate them... Probably just luck of the draw.

*Hundreds and hundreds of trades completed here and elsewhere. Ah, the days of trading in AOL chat rooms and leaving feedback on eBay... But sure, I'll send first. lol ... Really, I don't mind. Smile
Smile 
(03-18-2012, 10:39 AM)jessemerson Wrote: Thanks... I think the only way they can be graded is to separate them. The cards are 91-92 Skybox Mark & See. I don't plan on having them graded myself, but I would like the people who eventually end up owning them to have a decent shot at a good grade. Someone has a BGS 10 Jordan for sale with a asking price of...get ready for it...$1700. So anyway, they have decent potential, enough to make me ask anyway. Smile The more I think about it, the person who got a 10 probably didn't do anything special to separate them... Probably just luck of the draw.
Think this way, maybe he sacrificed the other cards that are beside the Jordan while they are intact. He will have to put his hands while separating them and maybe he didn't even touched the Jordan. He can't use scissors or any other cutting tool because I think the graders or the grading company will think that the card is altered or trimmed or something else, making the card not eligible for grading. I think that is the best scenario. Let me know if this sound kinda realistic.

(03-18-2012, 10:44 AM)filamuraireborn Wrote: ...He can't use scissors or any other cutting tool because I think the graders or the grading company will think that the card is altered or trimmed or something else, making the card not eligible for grading...
My thoughts exactly... I think a grader hangs out in the football forum... I think I'll post this over there and see... Now I'm curious what their "official" approach is on these...

Thanks for the help. If I get a definitive answer I will post it here.

Separating them will only diminish the value. Sure if you send them in and get a high grade, you may come out ahead, but you said yourself you're not doing that. I remember the 1996 SI For Kids Tiger Woods high grades sell extremely high, but the individual card ungraded sells for $100 or less while the uncut sheet normally brings anywhere from $175-300. You only cost yourself by separating unless you are getting them graded. Personally, I think you'd be much better off listing it available as an uncut sheet and let the guy who wants to get them graded separate them himself. Uncut sheets are rarely seen
Collecting Eric Hosmer and Alex Gordon
[Image: tperks.gif]
Do not trade list: charbs1111

(03-18-2012, 11:41 AM)tperks76 Wrote: ...Uncut sheets are rarely seen
tperks, I like your thinking. My thought was to separate them into trade bait but this makes complete sense. I think I'll give them a shot on eBay. Thanks.

Smile 
(03-18-2012, 01:42 PM)jessemerson Wrote: tperks, I like your thinking. My thought was to separate them into trade bait but this makes complete sense. I think I'll give them a shot on eBay. Thanks.
What if you sell the whole magazine with the uncut sheet and it is still attached to the magazine, plus the magazine is in mint condition... What would be the asking price and the sold price? How about a graded version?