`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading

Grading
I am trying to figure out what I want to send in for my first grading submission. So I wanted to take a little survey to help figure out what and how many I want to submit.

What is the main reason you have your cards graded?
- Protection?
- Resale value?
- Authentication?
- Other?

What kind of cards do you prefer to submit?
- Vintage?
- Rare?
- RC's?
- PC Items?
- Items for resale?
- Very high value?
- Strictly items that you expect to grade well?
- Other?

I think I have some picked out. One of my Payton RC's looks like it should grade very well. (Hoping for 8+) Other than that, I think I would only be grading for protection and authentication on some of my older vintage stuff.

Given that I have absolutely no interest in grading for resale value and generally prefer non-graded cards, do you all think it is a waste to have cards graded primarily just for the slab? I mean, I don't even care what the grades come back as, really.

RE: Grading
I grade for protection of my PC cards. You can put a minimum grade with authentication if you just want protection and authentication. I will grade for resale on occassion though, but rarely.

(03-09-2012, 11:27 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Given that I have absolutely no interest in grading for resale value and generally prefer non-graded cards, do you all think it is a waste to have cards graded primarily just for the slab? I mean, I don't even care what the grades come back as, really.
In the words of Stone Cold, "Helllllllllll Yeeeeah!"
[Image: OuM7E.png]

1997 Ultra PLATINUM - 81.4% Complete (285/350)

*Hundreds and hundreds of trades completed here and elsewhere. Ah, the days of trading in AOL chat rooms and leaving feedback on eBay... But sure, I'll send first. lol ... Really, I don't mind. Smile

I get them graded for looks and protection.

I would say that the vast majority of my collection is now graded cards. The reason I do this is twofold, first is for protection and I just like having a uniform look for my collection.

The second more important reason for me is that it gives me a better idea of the "true" condition of my collection. I don't pay as much attention to the value of these cards because I don't believe that the online guide is in tune with reality...but I do feel better about having a card graded as mint as opposed to a card I think looks mint or someone selling it on ebay decides it's mint...

I normally don't send a card in for grading that I'm not pretty confident will come back with a good grade.....for me, I want a minimum of BVG 7 or near mint for vintage cards and BGS 9 or mint for newer cards. I have stopped sending in the new cards...say 2005 and newer unless they are a high value card that I want to keep and protect.

The downside of collecting graded cards is really that you don't have much trust in the condition of non-graded cards and I find it harder and harder to buy or trade for them.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

(03-09-2012, 11:27 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Given that I have absolutely no interest in grading for resale value and generally prefer non-graded cards, do you all think it is a waste to have cards graded primarily just for the slab? I mean, I don't even care what the grades come back as, really.
For you, I think it is a waste of money.

Now, for me, all I collect is BGS/BVG Graded Nolan Ryan cards. And unlike you, I do care about the card's grade. I'm constantly trying to upgrade the grade.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(03-12-2012, 11:48 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: For you, I think it is a waste of money.

Now, for me, all I collect is BGS/BVG Graded Nolan Ryan cards. And unlike you, I do care about the card's grade. I'm constantly trying to upgrade the grade.
I used to be the same way, not caring about the grade, but the more and more I submit and the more my BGS collection growns I am finding myself like Nolan here - Always wanting a better grade lol Nothing more exciting getting back a 9.5 POP 1 card for me Big Grin
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

I get my higher-end PCs graded for protection. If it is a 9 now, it will still be a 9 later.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(03-12-2012, 11:54 AM)branesergen Wrote: I used to be the same way, not caring about the grade, but the more and more I submit and the more my BGS collection growns I am finding myself like Nolan here - Always wanting a better grade lol Nothing more exciting getting back a 9.5 POP 1 card for me Big Grin
OT - So are you an actual brain surgeon? I'm just curious b/c I had brain surgery to remove a tumor that was deeply embedded in my brain stem. The neurosurgeon that performed the procedure said that the tumor was actually inoperable, but if he didn't go ahead and operate, I'd be dead within the week.

I said let's go for it and Thank You Jesus, I'm I glad I did!! I had the operation back in June of 2001. The hardest part, is that I haven't eaten by-mouth since.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

No sir - Just one of the professions you hope the actual surgeon can actually spell. Got the idea from a shirt I saw many many years ago in which it had misspelled Pilot 3 times and in the end said "I fly planes" So i just put my own little spin on it lol

Its a good thing you decided to operate. Thank you Jesus and the good Doctor Smile
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC