`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Grade a 1/1?
03-07-2012, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2012 02:24 PM by lukeaa88.)
Grade a 1/1?
A couple weeks ago I pulled a Patrick Peterson Topps rookie 1/1. I've never had a card graded before and I was wondering if it was worth grading a 1/1. No autos or jerseys or anything on it. I think it would get a pretty high grade, but again I'm not very experienced in the whole grading thing. Any advice? Will attach scans soon.

Update: Attached scans. The white parts on the edges of the front are not on the card. And some of the edges of the back were cut off in the scan also. It is pretty well centered and has good corners and edges though. I will have to see if I can get better scans...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2012, 12:28 AM
RE: Grade a 1/1?
Some will say no due to it "being the only one it's the only one in that condition."

Thing is one of ones are pretty much common place now. I have THREE "one of ones" of the same player from the same set, just each has it's one variation to it setting it off slightly from the others. I graded all three: Authentic (put a minimum of 8.5 or authenticate), 9, and 9.5 (conveniently enough).

1 is a base set 1/1, one is a standard memorabilia 1/1, one is a rebook logo 1/1.

If I put all three up to bid starting at .99 I think the 9.5 would get the most bids.

Plus, BGS has great protection.

Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas
[Image: grantorinogetoffmylawn.jpg]
03-07-2012, 08:55 AM
For me (and this is my personal preference) I would not send a 1/1 to be graded. I'll only send it in to be authenticated. Smile

[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?
03-07-2012, 03:56 PM
IMO, it would be a waste of money and time. A 1/1 is still going to be a 1/1 and grading it will not bring a premium if sold. Point being how could you tell if grading it would bring a premium, you can not compare it to another of a lesser grade.
03-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Thumbs Up RE: Grade a 1/1?
(03-07-2012 03:56 PM)dkotart Wrote:  IMO, it would be a waste of money and time. A 1/1 is still going to be a 1/1 and grading it will not bring a premium if sold. Point being how could you tell if grading it would bring a premium, you can not compare it to another of a lesser grade.

+1

03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I do agree with the sentiment that the grade is redundant of one-of-one, cause it's still gonna be the best card of it's kind regardless.

But I'm highly in favor of it in the name of preservation. I suppose you could always just get it slabbed without the grade and it still accomplishes the same thing, to be honest I'd just put it in amongst another submission. This is also assuming I wanted to keep this 1/1 for a long time for myself, hence the desire to preserve it and not let it depreciate, I wouldn't grade it to try to sell for a premium.

The grade would just be a "reference", if that. If I did end up wanting to move it, the grade is ultimately redundant because no matter how you look at it, it's still the best and worst of it's kind at the same time.

Just my two cents.
03-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Nice posts! Smile

03-11-2012, 03:23 AM
i got mine graded only because i have small kids and didnt want to see my 1/1 torn i half or floating in the the bath tub

[Image: baseballcards028.jpg]

collecting all seattle mariners cards and chris snelling cards
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I think highly graded 1/1's would bring a little more premium. I think people take solace in the fact they know exactly what their bidding on. I personally would pay a premium for a highly graded 1/1. Just my opinion though.

Looking for Blaine Gabbert Finest Jumbo Jersey Auto Refractor, numbered to 10, card number is AJR-BG. Looking to buy this card.

Also collect nice Gabbert/Maurice Jones-Drew cards.
03-12-2012, 02:57 PM
(03-12-2012 02:35 PM)Sports2882 Wrote:  I think highly graded 1/1's would bring a little more premium. I think people take solace in the fact they know exactly what their bidding on. I personally would pay a premium for a highly graded 1/1. Just my opinion though.

+1,000,000

[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!