• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Selling Cards as a Job

RE: Selling Cards as a Job
now, because im not a brick and mortar guy:

no overhead costs
no business license
no rent
no anything

but i also cant get boxes at wholesale prices.
i dont have a local reliable customer base.
customers dont find me, i find them - and i cheat every system i know how to do so
ebay fees are ridiculous - so the key is to get repeat customers who will buy off-ebay
Smile 
(03-05-2012, 08:45 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: hi, ive been a part time sports card seller for 10 year, a full time seller for 6

i cant - wont - give specifics, however, i make a living at it, and havent had to have a boss.

unlike what the poster above says: it isnt about how much work you do. if you work 24 hours a day, you wont become rich, just because you are working. you aint getting paid hourly

but i usually work 14 hours day, but im a one man operation. no employees to pay, etc etc etc

the three keys to making money: UPFRONT CAPITAL, MARKET RESEARCH, CLEAN SUPPLY LINES

if you dont have at least 5 grand to start with - MINIMUM - it will take you years to get off the ground.
if you dont know the market, you wont make money
if you dont have a ready (and consistent) supply of cards, that you can buy at a price that you can make a profit on, you will fail.
Is 5K the current minimum?
Please explain the term Clean Supply Lines?
Thanks in advance.
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

(03-05-2012, 08:50 PM)filamuraireborn Wrote: Is 5K the current minimum?
Please explain the term Clean Supply Lines?
Thanks in advance.
5k is the upfront capital to spend. if you dont have at least 5 grand to spend on supply upfront, you cant keep ahead enough. also, when you first start out, you dont have contact with wholesalers, so your profit isnt as big as it will be down the road - you buy at higher prices.

the more money you have, the better your ability to bulk in bilk or wholesale. 5k is the minimum, but ideally, you want 15k-20k

clean supply lines: you need to have supply coming in all the time. if you cant find good supply for the right price, then you cant make sales. having the right contacts is key

you can turn a marginal profit by buying on ebay and flipping it, but not very much (and you have to know HOW to search ebay for deals)
Smile 
(03-05-2012, 08:56 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: 5k is the upfront capital to spend. if you dont have at least 5 grand to spend on supply upfront, you cant keep ahead enough. also, when you first start out, you dont have contact with wholesalers, so your profit isnt as big as it will be down the road - you buy at higher prices.

the more money you have, the better your ability to bulk in bilk or wholesale. 5k is the minimum, but ideally, you want 15k-20k

clean supply lines: you need to have supply coming in all the time. if you cant find good supply for the right price, then you cant make sales. having the right contacts is key

you can turn a marginal profit by buying on ebay and flipping it, but not very much (and you have to know HOW to search ebay for deals)
Thank you so much! Smile

Great posts!
[Image: gYJFXps.png]

(03-05-2012, 08:45 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: hi, ive been a part time sports card seller for 10 years, a full time seller for 6

i cant - wont - give specifics on how much i make, however, i make a living at it, and havent had to have a boss.

That's six figure talk there, you sound like my accountant!
Smile 
(03-05-2012, 08:33 PM)tperks76 Wrote: I'm an Ebay Powerseller, and I'm about $15,000 to the negative for the last year. Powerseller means nothing. In my case, it means I opened a ton of wax and sold alot of stuff that wasn't for my pc to try to buy more wax and pc stuff, but to me, this is also a hobby, so I do what I enjoy instead of look at the money aspect of it.
Re-quote for an answer... Thanks.

(03-06-2012, 03:56 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: That's six figure talk there, you sound like my accountant!
i dont pull 6 figures

but i also dont want to give specific numbers for governmental reasons :p
Smile 
(03-06-2012, 04:00 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i dont pull 6 figures

but i also dont want to give specific numbers for governmental reasons :p
denial an secrecy are your best friends Tongue
no harm intended
you do practice great business IMHO

(03-05-2012, 08:33 PM)tperks76 Wrote: I'm an Ebay Powerseller, and I'm about $15,000 to the negative for the last year. Powerseller means nothing. In my case, it means I opened a ton of wax and sold alot of stuff that wasn't for my pc to try to buy more wax and pc stuff, but to me, this is also a hobby, so I do what I enjoy instead of look at the money aspect of it.
Basically, you buy boxes and cases hoping that you get one or two big hits to sell. If you do, you're in the black, if not, in the red... am I right?

If you're not already well bankrolled, you're taking an even bigger risk.
At least you're honest. Smile
I agree about the fees.

(03-05-2012, 08:49 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: and i cheat every system i know how to do so
ebay fees are ridiculous - so the key is to get repeat customers who will buy off-ebay

I'd also like to add that this is not the time to start. The economy sucks... so the card market is in the toilet for the most part. Not to mention the prevailing attitude that people who want to EARN a profit are the bad guys... that doesn't help. Heck, you're the bad guy these days if you'd like to just break even.