`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed on an ebay purchase

RE: Advice needed on an ebay purchase
(03-05-2012, 03:44 AM)myjagr1 Wrote: Might help if you sent a link of the ebay auction and also a scan of the card.
The link is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...true&rt=nc

(03-05-2012, 04:06 AM)fpwolford Wrote: The link is

Apparently, I was correct.
I posted the link just before this post on the first page.

(03-05-2012, 03:54 AM)creativemunky Wrote: Under all the info he has given, it looks like this is the one hes talking about:

PERSONALLY, dunno why it bothers him soooo much. Its still an authentic Elway rookie BGS graded 9 regardless how it was cut (in which, the cut statement, he is just speculating).

BTW: I have a SP Authentic autograph card that seems to have an extra size to it itself, as it does not fit inside a traditional one screw plastic. I am not speculating that was cut from a sheet. Just saying.
The reason it bothers me so much is because it's not the right size. The dealer at the shop I took it to matched up 1 ungraded elway rookie and several others from the 84 tops set(including a marino) and the graded elway was noticeably larger, mostly the width. This kind of puts me in a bind if I want to trade it for something I really like or want to cross grade it to PSA. If it was only $40 bucks or so it wouldnt really matter but $150 is a lot, to me anyways. Just wanted an opinion of my options if the seller wont issue refund. Did you pull that sp authentic rookie yourself? If so, no need to speculate.

(03-05-2012, 04:14 AM)creativemunky Wrote: Apparently, I was correct.
I posted the link just before this post on the first page.
Yea I just saw that, impressive.

Just my own personal opinion here, but I'd rather have your Elway which looks extremely nice over one of the thousands of other poorly cut cards.

When they did the cutting back in '84 they could have started cutting slowly with precise cuts hence producing yours after realizing the process would take too long they may have just started cutting a dozen sheets at a time resulting in the poorly cut ones.

If yours was graded, chances are it's authentic, and it could very special and unique.

(03-05-2012, 04:27 AM)Sajman01 Wrote: Just my own personal opinion here, but I'd rather have your Elway which looks extremely nice over one of the thousands of other poorly cut cards.

When they did the cutting back in '84 they could have started cutting slowly with precise cuts hence producing yours after realizing the process would take too long they may have just started cutting a dozen sheets at a time resulting in the poorly cut ones.

If yours was graded, chances are it's authentic, and it could very special and unique.
Yea, that's true. I appreciate your response, thanks.

If the case has not been opened, you won't win a paypal case. Sounds like you should take it to another shop. We would trade for it at our shop with no problem over sized or not. A bgs 9 Elway rc is a Bgs 9 Elway rc....
[Image: opctif.jpg]

Yup its still a BGS 9 Elway RC and if it was mine I would break it out, wipe it off and get the surface cleaned up and hope for a 9.5 after resubmission lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(03-05-2012, 12:50 AM)fpwolford Wrote: Hey guys, just wanted your opinion on something. I purchased a John Elway RC on ebay. I called a local sports store and asked if they wanted to trade for it, I was looking for Gabberts. He said bring the card down. Now the card is BGS 9 mint graded. He took one look at the card and said it was way to wide. He matched up another elway rookie he had, and sure enough the bgs graded one was quite a big wider, a lot more white border on both sides. he then measured a standard size card and it was a lot bigger. He said he thinks the card was cut from a sheet which Beckett will grade sometimes. I contacted the seller and let him know, but if he refuses a refund do I have any other course of action, maybe file a paypal complaint? I just don't feel comfortable with the purchase, and I don't know what I did not notice it was so wide. Just got back into collecting, but any advice is appreciate, thanks.
Why did you buy it in the first place if you were looking for Gabbert cards? You made a HUGE mistake by trying to trade it to THIS card shop. It sounds like he is trying to screw you out of your card by trading less for it. I'm assuming you were happy when you bought it, but now you are questioning where the card came from. He's claiming it was cut from a sheet of cards... News Alert -- ALL cards are cut from sheets! I realize he meant it was cut from a sheet long after it was released, but that shouldn't matter since it was graded a BGS 9. It IS STILL a BGS 9.

(03-05-2012, 06:55 AM)cullmansportscards Wrote: Sounds like you should take it to another shop.
Amen.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

(03-05-2012, 02:19 AM)fpwolford Wrote: I know the cases are tamper proof. I don't think the card was switched, I think that BGS just graded a sheet cut card that was cut by someone who just bought a 1984 topps uncut sheet and did the cutting himself. If you look at the card it is virtually gem mint. The corners are razor sharp, edges are also. The major thing I notice now is the amount of white border on each side compared to other Elway rookies. Have measured the card several times and matched it up with other cards, it's quite wider. But if I can't work it out with the seller and get my money back I will be more than happy to trade you if your interested. Subs are 9.5 centering, 9.5 corners, 10 edges and 8.5 surface.
You probably won't get a refund based on what you 'think'. You need to know exactly what you have before you ask for a refund. This card has probably changed hands several times since the original owner. Most people don't cut up $500 sheets for $150 cards. I would contact BGS directly about any concerns you have. Do you have a picture you can post?