`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 1.67 Average
Mint Grading Service - MGS
02-25-2013, 02:00 PM
RE: Mint Grading Service - MGS
Your quality issues are valid but I've experienced issues with all three.

Though PSA is making good and in the process of reimbursing me, just two weeks ago I sent in a 1960 Topps Whitey Ford that was mislabeled by PSA as a Venezuelan issue. I bought it based on the PSA Venezuelan label but in fact it turned out to be a plain old US Topps issue.

For modern thicker cards, SGC has not been the way to go but for pre-war vintage, I believe they are the best overall. Also easily the best at vintage Latin American issues (Topps Venezuelans not included here).

As for the rattling, they must have changed their sizing a bit. My complaint about them has been that I have a number of cards that were squeezed too tightly into the black frame and under magnification, I can see that it resulted in actually damaging the card. Rattling is one of my main complaints about PSA.

Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I had my first experience with MGS and will not use them again. I sent them my cards on Christmas Eve and did not hear anything for 2 months. When I contacted him, he said he never received my cards, even though the USPS tracking said he did. I was convinced my cards were lost forever until this morning, when I got an automated email from him saying my graded cards are on their way. Phew! I was relieved, but not happy that it took him over 2 months, plus he lied saying he never received them. Let's see what they look like when they arrive in a couple of days...
09-17-2013, 10:26 AM
(03-05-2013 11:32 AM)mariboss Wrote:  I had my first experience with MGS and will not use them again. I sent them my cards on Christmas Eve and did not hear anything for 2 months. When I contacted him, he said he never received my cards, even though the USPS tracking said he did. I was convinced my cards were lost forever until this morning, when I got an automated email from him saying my graded cards are on their way. Phew! I was relieved, but not happy that it took him over 2 months, plus he lied saying he never received them. Let's see what they look like when they arrive in a couple of days...

I know this post is old, but how did you get ahold of them? It seems like their website is out of date. Did they fold???
09-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Okay, if anyone reads this post.......silence...... I have done a bit of research on MGS.

1. They are flagged by the BBB - Better Business Bureau and is listed to no longer be in business.
2. All the numbers listed on their so called "website" are disconnected or go straight to a voice mail.
3. The address listed, 3225 S. Mac Dill Ave. Ste 129 Box 322 Tampa, FL 33629, is the local UPS store. The other address you will come up on while researching them is 16829 Gunn Hwy, Odessa, FL, which a lot of companies are using, and their numbers are also disconnected. I looked on Google Earth and the location is a Verizon warehouse/building.

I do have a few cards "graded" by them, but got them second hand. Two are art cards, which are not "real" in the sense of that they are not licensed but cool enough for my collection, but no other grading service will touch them. Not even to slab and not grade. The other card is a Joe Montana autograph. I plan to get this licensed card looked at JAS/Beckett. Crossing my fingers that it is real and the ***** bag just gave it a Gem Mint 10. The card itself looks to be in great shape. If fake, that it was a $30 lesson. You can see these cards in my other post.

Please let me know is any of you readers have had any experience with MGS and if you were able to get a hold of them. Thanks.

Tracy
USMC
09-17-2013, 08:47 PM
If you bought them recently and get them graded soon enough you can still possibly get your money back if its less than 45 days.

Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC
09-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Question RE: Mint Grading Service - MGS
Please let me know if I can grade my 1954 Topps card with MGS!!!!
09-27-2013, 09:56 AM
(09-27-2013 08:53 AM)TPS2001 Wrote:  Please let me know if I can grade my 1954 Topps card with MGS!!!!

They are no longer in business. I don't know why you would want to anyway. The lesson from this post in the first place is stick to either BGS, PSA or SCG.
12-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Here is an update on the 1990 Notre Dame Promos Joe Montana Autograph numbered to 1979 that was "graded" by MGS. Some were autographed on the promo card #3 and others on the base set card #40. They have the same photo on the front. Earlier I posted all the information I could on this card so others Googling it can easily find out about it, unlike me. Below is a scan of the final result. Hope this helps others out that have one of the other 1978 cards out there and what to know about it. I suggest getting it re-authenticated and graded in order to resell it. I plan to keep this in my collection.

Montana Auto photo MontanaAuto_zps79f7da7d.jpg
12-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Looks like it worked out for you, which is great news Smile

Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas
[Image: grantorinogetoffmylawn.jpg]
12-19-2013, 09:47 PM
(12-19-2013 09:38 PM)y2hood Wrote:  Looks like it worked out for you, which is great news Smile

It sure did, thanks. I was stoked to get it in the mail today.