`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
OT: EBay IS NOT An Auction

RE: OT: EBay IS NOT An Auction
(02-25-2012, 01:25 AM)pgrinpdt Wrote: You'd have to use the rocket launcher to win the auction!! Smile
Hell better get the nukes out in an auction like that. LOL

eBay could increase their profits EXPONENTIALLY if they instituted 'extended bidding' (bidding that extends 3 minutes every time a bid is made within the last 3 minutes, like real online auctions). It's simple math. More bids = more more money. Which really makes me wonder why they don't?? They could hire 'license managers' in every state from the profits to deal with regs, with piles of money to burn.

Things that make you go hmmm...
[Image: OuM7E.png]

1997 Ultra PLATINUM - 81.4% Complete (285/350)

*Hundreds and hundreds of trades completed here and elsewhere. Ah, the days of trading in AOL chat rooms and leaving feedback on eBay... But sure, I'll send first. lol ... Really, I don't mind. Smile

(02-25-2012, 03:59 AM)jessemerson Wrote: eBay could increase their profits EXPONENTIALLY if they instituted 'extended bidding' (bidding that extends 3 minutes every time a bid is made within the last 3 minutes, like real online auctions). It's simple math. More bids = more more money. Which really makes me wonder why they don't?? They could hire 'license managers' in every state from the profits to deal with regs, with piles of money to burn.

Things that make you go hmmm...
In theory, yes they could, but in the age of instant gratification, I would argue this would ruin eBay. Many buyers flocked to eBay because you could purchase very nice items, very cheap. Yahoo's auction site started out around the same time, had the same opportunities, yet is no where near the giant eBay is. I feel this is because the "last chance" bid timing was frustrating. One thinks they are about to win an auction and go do something else, and BAM! Now one has to sit and wait, and wait, and wait to make sure the auction is not extended.

eBay is definitely more along the lines of a silent auction.... and I would argue it is overly consumer friendly... not pro-seller at all, as mentioned in this thread. eBay, and auction sites like it, is the only auctions where the second bid truly determines final value. In any other auction, if I were to bid $20.00, I would not be able to pay $7.53 at the close of the auction.

I also think that the "fear of loss" is not a factor on eBay anymore. A collectible of only 25 made in the world is about to end, a collector sets a snipe after they make a rational decision on the lowest they are willing to pay, and if they lose? They'll just buy the next one. An auction has two people or more, going toe to toe to determine the highest price one will pay. Sometimes, one must go outside of their comfort zone, also, the item is in the room, so it makes it more real. eBay takes so much of the selling value away from the seller its ludicrous, and should no way be a barometer for the value of collectibles.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(02-24-2012, 06:17 PM)jessemerson Wrote: This is from an email I received today. I'm posting it in light of some of the eBay related discussion here lately. Make of it what you will.

"EBAY IS NOT AN AUCTION
It's not anymore! Everything is buy-it-now.

yeah it was in the beginning but now it's more of a retail outlet for people to just sell at a certain price rather than let it go to the highest bidder.