`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Ebay sellers cancelling auctions

RE: OT: Ebay sellers cancelling auctions
(02-24-2012, 04:23 PM)christiancrane Wrote: This has happened to me a couple times too and it's definitely frustrating. About a month ago a guy was selling several really nice Patrick Willis 1/1 cards - then one day every single one of his 1/1 auctions ended early. Just doesn't make any sense.

Does this happen often though? I haven't sold much, so perhaps I'm unaware; it just doesn't make any sense that if an auction is at $75, why would someone offer $200 to end early? If the buyer is concerned that the card could go over $200, then surely the seller would share the same feeling. In that case, the seller shouldn't end it early. But if it doesn't go over $200, then it made no sense for the buyer to pay the extra premium.

The other problem I have is if the seller is afraid a card isn't generating enough bids, then why not put a reserve price in? I know there's a fee to do so, but it's relatively small. Or list it as a BIN. Or, just start the bidding closer to what you're willing to accept. Otherwise, don't end auctions early if you start bidding at $0.99 with no reserve - even if someone offers you money. Tell them to bid like the rest of us.
Trust me, I totally get your side of it. And after being burned by it as well; it totally sucks. Does it happen a lot, not so much that i have seen.
As for why someone would bid that much... (example: if it is only currently bid at 75 then offer 200). If it is a card that you have to have and are willing to pay 200 for it, is it worth going out on a limb and chancing not winning the card to a "sniper" at the end of the auction? even if it doesnt go that high you never know if someone is going to "snipe" your last bid at the last second. Totally stressful!! OR offer what you are willing to spend and hope it doesnt come to a bidding war. Some people would rather guarantee the card in their hand and spend a few extra dollars rather than chance it. I personally hate stressing at the end of an auction hoping that i dont get outbid. especially if it is a card i really want/need.. People have offered me money before to end auctions early but I have yet to do it as they have never been good enough to end. But i can't say that i wouldnt do it if the offer was good enough..

As for the reserve price, I agree with you here.
The one that bugs me is the people that just end the auction early because the bids are not high enough then relist it 3 days later and so on. Now that is crap...

I have basically given cards away because they just didnt get bid up only to see a similar card sell for 30-40% higher two weeks later. Frustrating, but That is the chance you take on the BAY.