`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undervalued Vintage HOF Players

Undervalued Vintage HOF Players
I'm hoping to pick up some knowledge by starting this thread. Not sure if undervalued would be exactly the correct description but who do you feel are some very reasonably priced Hall of Famers? I'm mostly interested in pre-1950s but feel free to share your opinions on players whose cards were issued into the 70s.

For that era, I'll start with Frank Robinson, who could have easily been in the 600HR 3000Hit club had he not put his managerial duties ahead of his playing duties when he split those roles with the Indians. With the exception of his rookie card, which deservedly commands a higher price, many of his cards up through his retirement are very reasonably attainable.

Though my experience in collecting Al Simmons cards is not that deep, I was surprised to have been able to obtain a very nice 1934 R310 Butterfinger Premium for $24 and a 1931 W517 for $28. When finally graded, I expect the R310 to get at least a 5 and may be a decent bet for up to a 6. The W517 received an Authentic grade from Beckett (no altering noted) but I will be challenging that since both cut lines in this larger strip card are fully intact and the vertical edges measure up. Even with an Authentic grade though, to me, these are both great bargains for a guy who just missed 3000 hits, drove in over 1800 runs, hit over .380 four times, and had a .334 lifetime batting average. While a good number of his cards can hit much higher prices there still seem to be many other reasonably priced cards from the era in which he played.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

RE: Undervalued Vintage HOF Players
Rube Marquard is a fairly affordable one
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]