`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good for the hobby!

Good for the hobby!
I am really worn out with everyone trying to determine whether or not Lin is any good. I am a bit old school, but I still keep up with sports more than most. When it comes to collecting, I really see no down side to all the Linsanity. I can almost guarantee that there will be more folks getting in the hobby because of him. That might even bring more collectors to our site. Just a thought.

RE: Good for the hobby!
+1....... I am on the side that says the kid is legit. I do think the Hobby Hype on his singles is crazy high right now.

But I can say that I have seen this from quite a few players in my collecting past, ie. Vince "Vinsanity" Carter, Grant Hill, Damon Stoudamire, T-MAC, and of course Penny Hardaway. All of those guys had more than just respectable NBA careers in my opinion (except Penny), but now their cardboard can be had for a fraction of the price of the peak of their hype.

Those market trends still ring true today. I know this may be basketball blasphemy for some of you, but what will happen to Blake Griffin's and Derrick Rose's carboard market value if say in 5-6 years neither of those two have a title in the bag???

Everyone is looking for the next greatest in any sport and recent rookie card value trends speak the proof to that, but in basketball the market swings are soooo much sharper and quicker than those other sports. Basketball fans are more fickle I guess?
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!
Smile 
(02-15-2012, 09:58 AM)mickey871 Wrote: I am really worn out with everyone trying to determine whether or not Lin is any good. I am a bit old school, but I still keep up with sports more than most. When it comes to collecting, I really see no down side to all the Linsanity. I can almost guarantee that there will be more folks getting in the hobby because of him. That might even bring more collectors to our site. Just a thought.
+1 on all except I'm semi-old school. Smile
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

I think it is good for the hobby BUT what happens if he falls off? Then all those people will be mad they lost money and will leave the hobby. I hope he's not a flash in the pan. I don't think he will be but there's no way he can keep up this pace.

(02-15-2012, 10:20 AM)got watcha want Wrote: +1....... I am on the side that says the kid is legit. I do think the Hobby Hype on his singles is crazy high right now.

But I can say that I have seen this from quite a few players in my collecting past, ie. Vince "Vinsanity" Carter, Grant Hill, Damon Stoudamire, T-MAC, and of course Penny Hardaway. All of those guys had more than just respectable NBA careers in my opinion (except Penny), but now their cardboard can be had for a fraction of the price of the peak of their hype.

Those market trends still ring true today. I know this may be basketball blasphemy for some of you, but what will happen to Blake Griffin's and Derrick Rose's carboard market value if say in 5-6 years neither of those two have a title in the bag???

Everyone is looking for the next greatest in any sport and recent rookie card value trends speak the proof to that, but in basketball the market swings are soooo much sharper and quicker than those other sports. Basketball fans are more fickle I guess?

dude did you just say Damon Stoudamire had a respectable nba career but Penny Hardaway did not? what are basing your oppinion here from? i see your list of players and wonder if you are aiming for accomplishments as a career but i see none of them players on your list has even made an NBA finals and Damon Stoudamire would fall into the category as an NBA bust.Not trying to be biased for my boy Penny but i think alot of people wouldnt grasp your logic on this statement.Out of all the guys you listed Penny was the most talented,im guessing your young and didnt see Penny make his mark on the NBA in the mid to late 90's not to mention was a very solid player as a sun from 2000-2002 and i would say had a very productive NBA career that was cut short and minipulated by a knee
[Image: PennyBannerFinal.gif]

(02-15-2012, 09:10 PM)aarhart1985 Wrote: dude did you just say Damon Stoudamire had a respectable nba career but Penny Hardaway did not? what are basing your oppinion here from? i see your list of players and wonder if you are aiming for accomplishments as a career but i see none of them players on your list has even made an NBA finals and Damon Stoudamire would fall into the category as an NBA bust.Not trying to be biased for my boy Penny but i think alot of people wouldnt grasp your logic on this statement.Out of all the guys you listed Penny was the most talented,im guessing your young and didnt see Penny make his mark on the NBA in the mid to late 90's not to mention was a very solid player as a sun from 2000-2002 and i would say had a very productive NBA career that was cut short and minipulated by a knee
Omg... debate!
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

get the popcorn....
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

(02-15-2012, 10:20 AM)got watcha want Wrote: ......Damon Stoudamire......
I'm not going to pretend that I religiously follow basketball, but Stoudamire? And then you shortchange Hardaway? Wow.

+ 1 I was a fan of both those guys I still have an old collection of Stoudamire cards when I use to collect him, but Penny deserves his kudos.
I collect Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett also certain High End Celtics HOF's.

[Image: jordanbird_edited-1.gif]

I am sorry guys, I will admit and concede that as far as accolades go...Penny has Stoudamire beat.

I should have lumped them together with my exception, because neither of them belong with the other three as far as career accomplishments go. The point of my post was to illustrate their cardboard can be had for a fraction of the price that it was at the peak of their hype. LIN IS AT THE PEAK OF HIS HYPE RIGHT NOW. I was trying to stay within the subject the OP started with my post. I see that we all want a debate more than a good subject to talk about.

Penny has a larger following and his stuff generates more money that say Carter's because of nostalgia not because of accolades. Here is that list I gave again with some more info and the next time I pick on Penny, I will be sure to pick on Mighty Mouse as well.................Geez guys, I thought I would have gotten more resistance for the Rose and Griffin remarks in my post.

VINCE CARTER
8× NBA All-Star selection
Olympic gold medal
2× All-NBA
NBA Slam Dunk Champion
NBA All-Rookie First Team
NBA Rookie of the Year Award

GRANT HILL
7X All-Star
5X All-NBA
2X NBA Sportsmanship Award
1996 Olympic Champion
NBA Rookie of the Year Award
***Just all around great player with solid stats in Detroit and a great role player after that
( I may have him higher for my own nostalgia and some collegiate career accolades I can't ignore)

TRACY MCGRADY
2× NBA Scoring Champion
7× NBA All-Star
7× All-NBA
NBA Most Improved Player Award

LETS JUST COMPARE THESE TWO BELOW, SINCE I THINK THEY DON'T EVEN BELONG WITH THE GUYS ABOVE. (and for the sake of a debate that won't happen)

PENNY HARDAWAY
-Gold Medal – USA Men's Basketball
-3X All-NBA
-4X NBA All-Star

Career Averages.......(per game)
14 NBA seasons played (704 regular season games played)
MPG-33.7 / FG%-.458 / 3P%-.316 / FT%-.774 / RPG-4.5 / APG-5.0 / SPG-1.6 / BPG-.4 / PPG-15.2

8 playoff appearances (64 games played)
MPG-41.3 / FG%-.448 / 3P%- .380 / FT%-.764 / RPG-4.7 / APG- 6.2 / SPG-1.9 / BPG-.8 / PPG -20.4

NOW......

DAMON STOUDAMIRE
-NBA Rookie of the Year

Career Averages.......(per game)
13 NBA seasons (878 regular season games played)
MPG-33.2 / FG%-.406 / 3P%-.357 / FT%-.833 / RPG-3.5 / APG-6.1 / SPG-1.1 / BPG-.0 / PPG-13.4

7 playoff appearances (53 games played)
MPG-28.2/ FG%-.399 / 3P%- .389 / FT%-.847 / RPG-3.0 / APG- 4.4 / SPG-.6 / BPG-.2 / PPG -10.1

Now Penny has Mighty Mouse beat, but are those careers comparable? I think so, and more so than those three above these last two on my list. Penny had more success in the playoffs, more accolades, and much-much more popularity than Stoudamire.

It is the nostalgic collectors like you guys (and me) that chase these types of players.....then you have the newbies that pay out the waazoo for guys like Lin, Griffin, and Rose. The new guys have potential to be on this list or to be Hall of Famers either way when it is all said and done.

Now will any of the players from my list make the Hall of Fame?

Does Brandon Roy get put in with these guys since he has had his career ending injury?

There was a thread no so long ago about how a George Gervin auto booked for $20 and it was a legitimate gripe, when jersey card of a hot player like Griffin sells for more than a Gervin auto, something is wrong with the perspective of most.

Even I myself am bias for cards of certain players and from specific sets. I have paid too much or made a bad trade for stuff that I like more than the demand or price dictates. There is nothing wrong with that, we all collect in our own way. Don't get offended, just keeping it real....LOL
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!