Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Collectors NEED to be trained.

Collectors NEED to be trained.
As well as sellers.
One of a few common mistakes I see BECAUSE the card says "GAME DATED" on it they think it is the actual parallel. Not throwing any names around.

I have even seen sellers on ebay think these base cards are the foils WHICH they are NOT........

This is not the only card. But it is one of the common mistakes I see.

[Image: tn.jpg]

RE: Collectors NEED to be trained.
(02-11-2012, 09:40 PM)thelegendjerryrice Wrote: As well as sellers.
One of a few common mistakes I see BECAUSE the card says "GAME DATED" on it they think it is the actual parallel. Not throwing any names around.

I have even seen sellers on ebay think these base cards are the foils WHICH they are NOT........

This is not the only card. But it is one of the common mistakes I see.

[Image: tn.jpg]
Agreed, I've contacted sellers to point out the mistake.
Here's a comparison using Keyshawn Johnson & Curtis Martin from my collection. The foil cards are easy to tell on the top
[Image: 1997JetsUpperDeckGameDated.jpg]

Upper Deck stamped Game Dated on every card, base or parallel so it's easy to see why sellers make mistakes.

lol I always laugh when I see someone selling 'autos' on ebay when they're facsimiles. Always makes me smile

We need more threads like this. Ive always wanted to know the difference between this card in question and now I know. lol. Thanks guys!!!

Next up the difference between these:

1998 Finest and 1998 Finest No-Protectors

both front and back please. Thanks.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

for baseball, it's the 2005 skybox autographics base set

(02-12-2012, 12:58 PM)ginge01 Wrote: Agreed, I've contacted sellers to point out the mistake.
Here's a comparison using Keyshawn Johnson & Curtis Martin from my collection. The foil cards are easy to tell on the top
[Image: 1997JetsUpperDeckGameDated.jpg]

Upper Deck stamped Game Dated on every card, base or parallel so it's easy to see why sellers make mistakes.
Thank you for the pics.........
Surfed google for a comparison pick and couldn't find one.
(02-12-2012, 02:25 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: for baseball, it's the 2005 skybox autographics base set

Another one in MY mind is the 1998 SPx's Silver and Steel......

The Silver are shinier than the Steel. The Steel are flat and almost have a greenish tint to them. I would have to look for examples since I doubt I have any of them now.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

(02-12-2012, 01:29 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: We need more threads like this. Ive always wanted to know the difference between this card in question and now I know. lol. Thanks guys!!!

Ive always understood it was just a protective plastic coating you could peel off. Protected ones visibly have the coating with the black words on them like this.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/1998%...ctors1.jpg
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

How about we use the word "educated" rather than "trained." Gives the impression we're all dogs.

(02-12-2012, 01:29 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: We need more threads like this. Ive always wanted to know the difference between this card in question and now I know. lol. Thanks guys!!!

Here you go Baker...it's the same for all the years that Finest put a protective coat on their cards.

He's wearing the coat on the left and running free on the right. Wink

[Image: img553.jpg]
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

(02-12-2012, 04:47 PM)ricky williams 34 Wrote: How about we use the word "educated" rather than "trained." Gives the impression we're all dogs.

Here you go Baker...it's the same for all the years that Finest put a protective coat on their cards.

He's wearing the coat on the left and running free on the right. Wink

[Image: img553.jpg]
The difference is a little more than that. The 1998 "No Protector" Refractor does not have the coating, however, if this was the only difference than you could just remove the coating and call it the "No Protector" refractor which was a little more rare. The best way to tell the difference is to look at the back of the "Refractor" and "No Protector Refractor." The back of the "Refractor" has a refractor print while the back of the "No Protector" has a foil-refractor print. If they are side by side you could tell the difference.

http://photobucket.com/johnelway

Always looking for Elway cards. Especially hard to find parallels and inserts from the '90s, i.e., any Leaf Mirror card or Donruss Elite parallel