`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 3.44 Average
Randi's Handy Hints
06-15-2012, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2012 10:12 AM by TonySmart.)
RE: Randi's Handy Hints
Great read man!!!! On the inspection part... a few things that might help inspecting for is... Corner sharpness, eldge quality, Colour quality, White border quality, print spots, centering (front and back) and ink marks. These seem to be the culprits that slip through and have caused me to receive vintage cards graded up to 3 and 4 places above what they are. A general rule that works even if you have no reference to judge grading against is.... any pen marks or otherwise (including unverified autographs) make a card a 4 automatically even if it looks mint otherwise. Any creasing/folds (even if only visible on one side) make a card a 4 even if mint otherwise. There are many grading guides on the internet that include pics at every grade and give general rules of what is allowed at each level. 2 grades off is generally ok in my books... that means a single grade above or below. BTW I am not only a new member, but a new collector. I stopped collecting cards/coins when I was 10 years old and just got back into both this year.

EDIT: Scans, scans, and more scans are every vintage traders best friend
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2012, 01:03 PM
London drugs has bubble envelopes starting at 39¢
Also another method to avoid tape damage, if you must tape the top is to place a piece of paper over the opening first.

[Image: bfcavatar.png]
06-20-2012, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2012 08:10 AM by rayeates.)
(06-15-2012 10:07 AM)TonySmart Wrote:  Great read man!!!! On the inspection part... a few things that might help inspecting for is... Corner sharpness, eldge quality, Colour quality, White border quality, print spots, centering (front and back) and ink marks. These seem to be the culprits that slip through and have caused me to receive vintage cards graded up to 3 and 4 places above what they are. A general rule that works even if you have no reference to judge grading against is.... any pen marks or otherwise (including unverified autographs) make a card a 4 automatically even if it looks mint otherwise. Any creasing/folds (even if only visible on one side) make a card a 4 even if mint otherwise. There are many grading guides on the internet that include pics at every grade and give general rules of what is allowed at each level. 2 grades off is generally ok in my books... that means a single grade above or below. BTW I am not only a new member, but a new collector. I stopped collecting cards/coins when I was 10 years old and just got back into both this year.

EDIT: Scans, scans, and more scans are every vintage traders best friend

Thank you for reading and the compliment, Tony! I agree with you fully on the full inspection for the vintage cards, and I hope that everyone takes the time to do it. As I have said in the OP, we do not own the right to "grade" our cards to make them look better, but we should make the other trader aware of any defects that we have found so that they can add their two cents. And yes... SCANS!!! They do help with the process! Haha!
(06-15-2012 01:03 PM)bluefrozencanuck Wrote:  London drugs has bubble envelopes starting at 39¢
Also another method to avoid tape damage, if you must tape the top is to place a piece of paper over the opening first.

Very good idea, John! I have seen a few people use this technique. I still stand by my baggies so I don't have to tape the top-loaders, but that is just me! Wink

Randi

Photobucket
[Image: HALAK_zps26c7055e.jpg]
06-20-2012, 01:40 PM
...also, using masking tape is another great way! It does not leave much residue, if any, and is LOADS easier to remove!

Randi

Photobucket
06-20-2012, 07:58 PM
you're welcome!!!!!
06-24-2012, 11:36 AM
(06-20-2012 07:58 PM)TonySmart Wrote:  you're welcome!!!!!

Big Grin

Photobucket
07-03-2012, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 07:00 PM by rczubaty.)
hey Randi, i received a trade in the mail today, the highest value trade i have ever made ($550+)

I know this was brought up briefly in the "protection" section, but in my trade there was a card with a BV of $250 (pretty valuable IMO) the card was in a regular toploader, and yes it was taped! Now this card being shipped in a toploader wouldnt of been an issue to me if it were say 1: in a team bag with a decoy card on each side of it. 2: sandwhiched between 2 of the lesser value cards and secured that way.

But instead it was just tossed in the big envelope with 26 other cards. Please when the card is of this value use a One-touch, or at least a little added protection.

My side of the trade is packaged, and was awaiting the cards from a newer trader before i shipped my half. the card i am shipping BV 300 is in a one-touch case secured with tape, and protected from the tape by a piece of paper, and then sandwhiched between 2 lesser value crds in toploaders, and finally in a team bag.

Sorry for the long "rant" but i was almost shocked to see such a high BV of cards carelessly tossed into an envelope like that.

Anyway what is the opinion of other traders on here at what BV would you use a one-touch? is this something i should of specified before making the trade?
(07-03-2012 06:58 PM)rczubaty Wrote:  hey Randi, i received a trade in the mail today, the highest value trade i have ever made ($550+)

I know this was brought up briefly in the "protection" section, but in my trade there was a card with a BV of $250 (pretty valuable IMO) the card was in a regular toploader, and yes it was taped! Now this card being shipped in a toploader wouldnt of been an issue to me if it were say 1: in a team bag with a decoy card on each side of it. 2: sandwhiched between 2 of the lesser value cards and secured that way.

But instead it was just tossed in the big envelope with 26 other cards. Please when the card is of this value use a One-touch, or at least a little added protection.

My side of the trade is packaged, and was awaiting the cards from a newer trader before i shipped my half. the card i am shipping BV 300 is in a one-touch case secured with tape, and protected from the tape by a piece of paper, and then sandwhiched between 2 lesser value crds in toploaders, and finally in a team bag.

Sorry for the long "rant" but i was almost shocked to see such a high BV of cards carelessly tossed into an envelope like that.

Anyway what is the opinion of other traders on here at what BV would you use a one-touch? is this something i should of specified before making the trade?

By the way the cards did make it to me in great condition so maybe im over-reacting, but what if they did get damaged

PRIMARY PC:Ryan Nugent Hopkins 120/705 listed cards
Collecting All Oilers GU/Auto/SN cards

also building sets http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1488853.html
07-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Nice post. Always good stuff on the Hockey boards.

The flap on the tape is one of my favorite tips...if there is a flap, I can generally get the tape off with all of the gunk residue, but everything you wrote about is something I have seen, pondered, worried about, done, etc.

The real "how to" needed now is how to make postage from the U.S to Canada and Canada to the U.S. a bit more reasonable (with delivery confirmation). I would buy/trade more hockey if it were easier to facilitate shipping, too (we have automated postage machines for domestic, but if I want to ship to Canada I must go into the Post Office...not easy when you work during the hours of operation...

Anyway, just my two cents...I hope everyone takes something away from the original post.

Collecting:
09 Topps Magic Football (Need 12 SPs)
# 44, 55, 82, 86, 98, 105, 154, 165, 172, 199, 206, 239

05 Studio Portraits Bob Feller variations (43 of 56, 77%)
Tough to list these out...please help.

I collect these guys:
[Image: Sig2.png]
07-04-2012, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2012 10:47 AM by rayeates.)
Good day, Ryan!

First off, I am really happy to hear that such a big trade went smoothly and that the cards got to you safe-and-sound! As for the One-Touch situation... that's a tricky one. I did cover it in the OP, and it IS up to the discretion of the trader. If they feel that they do not have to put the card in a One-Touch, then that is their choice. Remember... they only came around about 10 years ago, and some people feel that they are overkill. I constantly see $100+ cards in my LCS with only sleeves on them. The sellers feel that they do not want to lose out on a case that cost them a little bit.

I personally have a $50+ belief. Should the card be $50+ in BV (and be one that is WORTH it, not a Hossa or Gaborik, etc. card), then that is when I put it into a One-Touch. It is the choice of the other trader, but it would be a courtesy. Glad to see that you are sending the $250 BV card in a One-Touch!

(07-03-2012 06:58 PM)rczubaty Wrote:  hey Randi, i received a trade in the mail today, the highest value trade i have ever made ($550+)

By the way the cards did make it to me in great condition so maybe im over-reacting, but what if they did get damaged

Thank you for reading and for posting! I am glad that I am able to reach out to so many people and give some help! The tabs are a great way to help with the taping issue, but it is still something that I refuse to do! Baggies for me, and that is all. Haha!

As for the postage... nothing we can do about it there. I know that it costs you guys $3+ to send to us, while it only costs $2.10 for us to send to you. I do not have any suggestions to remedy that one, either. Hopefully they will drop the price (UNlikely!!!) so that we can be on level ground.

Randi

(07-04-2012 06:17 AM)dunnere Wrote:  Nice post. Always good stuff on the Hockey boards.

The flap on the tape is one of my favorite tips...if there is a flap, I can generally get the tape off with all of the gunk residue, but everything you wrote about is something I have seen, pondered, worried about, done, etc.

The real "how to" needed now is how to make postage from the U.S to Canada and Canada to the U.S. a bit more reasonable (with delivery confirmation). I would buy/trade more hockey if it were easier to facilitate shipping, too (we have automated postage machines for domestic, but if I want to ship to Canada I must go into the Post Office...not easy when you work during the hours of operation...

Anyway, just my two cents...I hope everyone takes something away from the original post.

Photobucket
07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
i guess the bigger issue was the way the cards were just thrown in an envelope. i would of liked to see them secured to eachother or the inside of the envelope in some way. you are right the one-youch would of been a very very nice courtesy

PRIMARY PC:Ryan Nugent Hopkins 120/705 listed cards
Collecting All Oilers GU/Auto/SN cards

also building sets http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1488853.html