`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 3.44 Average
Randi's Handy Hints
02-13-2012, 11:14 AM
RE: Randi's Handy Hints
Yeah, I am a smoker (all hail the 15% haha) but I'm quite doubtful you'll get that smell from mine (though if you do, lmk right away).

You see, when your cards smell like smoke, that means your trader/seller smokes inside. I'm not going to get into all the particulars but smoke will eventually damage everything, even seemingly indestructible little pieces of cardboard. I know that no matter what I do, my smoking is bad for me and others and annoying to others. It's possible to be a "courteous" smoker. Part of that however is not smoking inside. You know when you're going down the street and you bump into someone and you can almost see the smoke coming off them even though they aren't smoking? That's a person who smokes inside and that's why those packages smell like that.

Like I said, I'm a smoker. When I was a renter, I smoked inside. I smoke outside now, not only because of my and my families health, but the surface damage to just about everything I owned in that apartment was ridiculous. That same damage is happening to your cards. It's not a matter of lighting up while driving to the PO, that wouldn't last. These are cards, or at the very least, envelopes that sit in pools of smoke for extended periods of time. I've only ever received one package like that and I won't trade with that person again. I'm not saying he/she is a bad trader or anything, just that I don't want cards with that fine, cream-coloured nicotine layer on it.

Luckily in this situation damage is usually minimal to nominal, so it's personal preference whether you care as much as me or not. I imagine in most cases a day or two of airing them out is probably perfectly fine, but like I said, I saw the damage the smoke did to my stuff, so I'm a little careful about that sort of thing.

Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
(02-13-2012 11:14 AM)wickabee Wrote:  Yeah, I am a smoker (all hail the 15% haha) but I'm quite doubtful you'll get that smell from mine (though if you do, lmk right away).

You see, when your cards smell like smoke, that means your trader/seller smokes inside. I'm not going to get into all the particulars but smoke will eventually damage everything, even seemingly indestructible little pieces of cardboard. I know that no matter what I do, my smoking is bad for me and others and annoying to others. It's possible to be a "courteous" smoker. Part of that however is not smoking inside. You know when you're going down the street and you bump into someone and you can almost see the smoke coming off them even though they aren't smoking? That's a person who smokes inside and that's why those packages smell like that.

Like I said, I'm a smoker. When I was a renter, I smoked inside. I smoke outside now, not only because of my and my families health, but the surface damage to just about everything I owned in that apartment was ridiculous. That same damage is happening to your cards. It's not a matter of lighting up while driving to the PO, that wouldn't last. These are cards, or at the very least, envelopes that sit in pools of smoke for extended periods of time. I've only ever received one package like that and I won't trade with that person again. I'm not saying he/she is a bad trader or anything, just that I don't want cards with that fine, cream-coloured nicotine layer on it.

Luckily in this situation damage is usually minimal to nominal, so it's personal preference whether you care as much as me or not. I imagine in most cases a day or two of airing them out is probably perfectly fine, but like I said, I saw the damage the smoke did to my stuff, so I'm a little careful about that sort of thing.

Awesome reply, Tyson! Thank you very much for this! I have never held a lit cigarette to my lips, and I am VERY confident in saying that it will never happen. You have enlightened us all on the secondary aspects of smoking, and I hope that this will help some collectors.

Randi

Photobucket
[Image: HALAK_zps26c7055e.jpg]
02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
(02-10-2012 02:18 PM)rayeates Wrote:  Tyson (wickabee): I did mention the padded envelopes in my thread, but thank you for heightening their reputation. I agree that they are far more sturdy than the bubble mailers, but at $1.70 each, I see them losing out! It would be nice if they came down in price, as I would convert quickly!
Randi,
Just got back from the PO. Picked up a 10-pack of cushion (not bubble) mailers for $6.99. I can handle $0.70 per envelope.

02-14-2012, 03:51 PM
(02-14-2012 01:14 PM)wickabee Wrote:  Randi,
Just got back from the PO. Picked up a 10-pack of cushion (not bubble) mailers for $6.99. I can handle $0.70 per envelope.

not too shabby. if you have the space, you can get them in bulk for around $0.16 shipped... (well before the prices went up) Confused

using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
That space is an if I don't have, unfortunately. I'm just glad I can get these at the PO instead of making an extra trip for mailers.

02-14-2012, 04:54 PM
(02-14-2012 01:14 PM)wickabee Wrote:  Randi,

Good on ya, mate! Haha! I am glad that you were able to get some mailers FINALLY for a half-decent price!

Randi

Photobucket
02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
I honestly thought it was less mailers per package when I first posted, haha. I've been buying these for awhile.

02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
(02-14-2012 05:00 PM)wickabee Wrote:  I honestly thought it was less mailers per package when I first posted, haha. I've been buying these for awhile.

Well... somebody's been drinking the "Inattentive Sauce" a bit too often, haven't they? Haha! SO you started a big debacle over nothing then... Tongue

Randi

Photobucket
02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
No no no. I just said I like the cushion mailers. YOU started the debate, but I digress Tongue

As for the inattentive sauce, that's sort of my life these days...At least, I say "these days" people don't usually look into my past attentiveness.

02-16-2012, 09:51 AM
(02-15-2012 11:28 AM)wickabee Wrote:  No no no. I just said I like the cushion mailers. YOU started the debate, but I digress Tongue

As for the inattentive sauce, that's sort of my life these days...At least, I say "these days" people don't usually look into my past attentiveness.

Bahahaha! Let's agree to disagree, and have an agreement about agreeing! Er... never mind!

Photobucket